Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th July 2007, 12:36 PM   #1
katana

Default Masai walking stick spear?

Hi,
sometime ago a bought an African walking stick and spearhead from the same source and was told they had always been together. I just assumed they were two seperate items from the same tribe/region. A few days ago I was going through my collection and whilst looking at the stick...had a flash of inspiration. The stick was sharply tapered at its end.......and fitted the socketted spearhead perfectly !!!

Now I do not know what it is I have no idea whether this was originally made like this, or combined like this later. If original could this be used ritualistically for 'blood letting' of cattle, symbolic staff....although this could be used as a 'short stabbing' spear,...I do not think this was its intended use.
The carving is very comfortable as a handle...when holding this as a stabbing spear.

Overall length approx. 125cms

Has anyone any ideas
Attached Images

Last edited by katana; 12th July 2007 at 12:58 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 11:26 AM   #2
katana

Has anyone any ideas at all......I have tried to research what this may be but have no answers. I must admit I was a little 'excited' at my 'discovery', hoping it may be something more than I had originally thought. Perhaps not Masai...Samburu ? East African ?
Old 13th July 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A VERY INTERESTING ITEM, I AGREE IT IS VERY UNLIKELY IT IS A WEAPON. THE CARVING IS WELL DONE AND REPRESENTS A KNEELING WOMAN, IS IT WORN SMOOTH AND HAVE A PATINA? THE BALD HEAD AND STRECHED EARS AND FEATURES DO LOOK LIKE A MASAI WOMEN BUT THERE ARE OTHER TRIBES WHO DO THAT AS WELL. I DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT MASAI CEREMONY OR STATUS SO CAN'T HELP MORE ,BUT WOULD SAY IT WAS PROBABLY FOR ONE OR BOTH OF THOSE THINGS AND NOT JUST A SOUVINEER. THE SPEAR POINT DOSEN'T LOOK MUCH LIKE THE MASAI SPEARS I HAVE SEEN THOUGH.
JUST MY GUESSES AND GUT FEELING NO COLD HARD FACTS
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 06:17 PM   #4
RomaRana

It is a fimbo. The fimbo is a Swahili term for a cattle herding stick and they are generally used all over East Africa. Carved artistic ones are used as walking sticks by elders and as impromptu weapons during council meetings.

The use of walking sticks has declined during the modern age but they are still used in many ceremonial functions. These new fimbos are known as vifimbo or staffs, they are part of the uniform of officers of the Tanzanian armed forces.

Presidents Nyerere of Tanzania and Jomo Kenyatta of Kenya almost always have one in sight during addresses.

It does indeed look like a carving of a Maasai woman although the nose looks much more bantu than Nilo-Hametic, so it is hard to say what group it comes from.

Cattle blood letting is only done with a special tiny bow and arrow.

I do not think the spear head was ment for the staff. It is generally considered bad form to thrust a spear head first into the ground, kind of like eating with your hands in the west.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 11:32 AM   #5
katana

Thank you Vandoo and RomaRama for the additional information and comments. The carved 'end' seems to have been regularly handled, judging by the 'patina'......and would estimate that it is probably mid 20thc onwards. It seems that the spear head and stick were 'mated' sometime ago. Whether this was 'tribally done' or not, I do not know, Perhaps it was an 'invention born from necessitity', a spear head fitted to a Fimbo for self protection or the protection of cattle from ...say....snakes. Or as an 'interesting' item to sell to tourists. If the latter.....it worked, as I too found it 'interesting'.
Old 14th July 2007, 12:10 PM   #6
Bill M

I like it. Interesting piece.

http://tracelesswarrior.blogspot.com...ons-fimbo.html
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote