Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st June 2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Cogito

Default African spears

First post. Been lurking awhile and finally signed up. I've seen some of the coolest stuff imaginable here.

Anyway, I've got 3 antique African spears that came from the estate of a big game hunter who acquired them in Africa. He quit hunting in the 1950's, so they are at least that old. I've been trying to identify where they came from, who might have made them, and their approximate age. Do any of you folks have any insights?
Attached Images

Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 06:09 PM   #2
The Double D

From what little exposure I have had to Masai Spears two of these, the bottom two appear to me to be Masai.

Quite nice at that. My guess the third oneis from the same region.
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Yes I think they are certainly from East Africa, but are used over a huge region of that part of Africa. I always have room for more.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Cogito!
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for posting these I hope you'll keep posting and join in on the discussions here.

I agree with Double D, I recognize the example with the elongated spatulate blade and median ridge as distinctly Maasai.

I am curious on the distinct form of these Maasai blades, which is also the same as their sword, the 'seme'. It seems essentially that the spear is mounted with the sword blade, though altered in degree. I have often wondered about the spatulate form blade, which seems distinct among most African blade forms. Is it possible that the form may have developed from the blades seen on many Indian swords such as early khanda or the swords known as 'pattisa'?
There was of course prevalent trade from India's Malabar Coast to ports in East Africa, and trade into the interior of course entered Kenyan regions in quest for ivory among other commodities. Possibly the Maasai and neighboring tribes acquired examples of the Indian swords and adopted the blade form?

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Cogito

Interesting. You guys think the two lower spears are both Maasai? I have seen examples of the heavy one called "Maasai lion spears" in other places. I guess I had not considered the possibly that the same tribe would make two such different styles of spears. Obviously the one with the smaller blade is much lighter and could be thrown much farther. The heavy one is over 5 pounds and 7 feet long! The spearhead blade could almost pass for a sword, the blade itself is almost 47 inches long, with a "handle" or mounting base that is another 4 inches in length. Here are a couple more pix. Any ideas on the top one? I've not seen that blade style anywhere else.
Attached Images

Old 5th June 2007, 05:38 AM   #6
RomaRana

The top spear is a “Purkko Maasai type.” But that is not to say that only the Purkko Maasai use it.

I am preparing an in-depth explanation of spear typology and the cultural synthesis of Bantu sword and Maasai spear for you. I am away from home and my notes so it will take a few days for my reply.

Last edited by RomaRana; 5th June 2007 at 05:49 AM.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 08:10 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

I have just accquired this very interesting spear. The seller described it as kikuyu. I am not sure this is the case. I think it may well be from the Congo. When it arrives I will show why. For the time being this picture will have to do.

Old 5th June 2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is well established that weapons do not necessarily remain within geographic boundaries nor tribal groups or cultural spheres. It is certainly possible, often even likely that though certain forms are associated with a certain tribe, a degree of them will be diffused to surrounding groups.

Roma Rana, I very much look forward to more on the spear typology and Bantu sword development. It seems any in depth discussion of these weapons is lacking here, though there have of course been occasional notes which I cant recall at the moment.

Tim, looking forward to your observations on that spear!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Cogito

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaRana
The top spear is a “Purkko Maasai type.” But that is not to say that only the Purkko Maasai use it.

I am preparing an in-depth explanation of spear typology and the cultural synthesis of Bantu sword and Maasai spear for you. I am away from home and my notes so it will take a few days for my reply.
By "top spear" do you mean the one on the left side of the photos in post #5? If so, then it would appear that ALL of these are Maasai spears of different design? I had not expected this, very surprising indeed.
Old 11th June 2007, 06:38 PM   #10
Cogito

Since these 3 spears are all very different in length, weight, blade size, etc., would that be because they are meant to be used for certain specific types of hunting or game? Sort of like picking your shot size in shotgun shells depending on what you're expecting to shoot? Or would this just be the individual preference in that particular tribe or area?
Old 12th June 2007, 03:39 AM   #11
RomaRana

Firstly, it is incorrect to think of East African spears in terms of set tribal groups. Cultural “borrowing” and “acquisition” is a very strong sociological force in the region. Spear morphology varies greatly and is ethnically fluid in both space and time (Larick, 299).

I suggest you read Warriors and Blacksmiths: Mediating Ehnicity in East African Spears by Roy Larick if you are more interested in this topic. As look into

Sears, Style, and Time among Maa speaking pastoralists
Roy Larick

Maasai and Kikuyu: An Historical Analysis of Culture Transmission
William L Lawren

Modern Spear Typology

Spear types are named after groups that are traditionally responsible for their use but a great deal of borrowing occurs with every single type. In many tribal groups, every fifteen years or so is marked by a coming of age ceremony. These groups are known as an age set. They often seek to distinguish themselves in many ways. One of these methods is by choosing a distinctive spear type.

Spears in the region are therefore known by the tribal names that originated the style. Therefore, Maasai elders frequently use heavy Turkana spears or whatever their age set has decided on.

Also, you cannot think of the Maasai in terms of a single group. They are broken into about 15 semi-nomadic clans that are dispersed throughout the region. Furthermore some of those groups have not adhered to the blacksmithing taboos since the 1890’s rinderpest epizootic. Some Maasi groups have worked metal since the 1830's and the Iloikop wars.

It is very hard to explain this without going into a twenty page dissertation. Also, in regards to your question about hunting: historical events weigh very heavily on what spears are popular in a given era. After the British withdrew from East Africa there was an ivory poaching epidemic, which led to a revival of the heavy throwing javelin. Many age sets adopted this weapon as a way of earning a living.

Spear and Sword Convergence

The development of the sword-like Maasai stabbing spear speaks to this principle. Louis Leaky, the famed archeologist, believed that the spear was unknown in the Bantu tradition. The sword was the primary Bantu (mainly kikuyu) arm. Conversely, the Nilo-Hametic Maasai who were driven into the region by a major Diaspora, had no knowledge of the sword but introduced spear warfare into the region.

At the time most of the Nilotic groups had many taboos regarding blacksmithing. The warlike Maasai who were now far from their ancestral homes needed to replenish their martial stocks. They turned to the Bantu for the manufacture of these weapons. The Bantu had no knowledge of spear manufacturing techniques. The result was a hybrid, a sword shaped head mounted atop a wooden haft. Eventually, the Natives adopted the spear, while the newcomers adopted the sword.

With time, the sword and spear became more and more similar. Older pre 1900 spears were much more flaring at their bases, almost shovel like. I have many old prints depicting these. They are unmistakable when compared to newer spears.

The spears you own are all of East African varieties. They probably range in age anywhere from the early 1900’s to recent manufacture.

Last edited by RomaRana; 12th June 2007 at 03:50 AM.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 04:54 AM   #12
Cogito

Thanks, Roma Rana, fascinating stuff. I had to lookup the 'rinderpest epizootic' reference!

I have decided to sell my spears and use the money to pick up some interesting knives, which I am more interested in than spears. They are on eBay now. We'll see how they do....
Old 7th August 2007, 07:23 AM   #13
Cogito

Well, I ended up clearing $500 for the 3 spears. Seems reasonable to me. What do you guys think?
Old 7th August 2007, 12:27 PM   #14
Tim Simmons

Very good. We are not meant to mention money quite so directly here .
Old 7th August 2007, 01:26 PM   #15
Cogito

I don't know why, but if that's the house rule, I apologize.