Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th December 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
thinreadline

Default Hello , May I introduce myself ?

Hi everyone
I have just been accepted as a member and am very pleased to have found this excellent site . I began accumulating ethnic weaponry over 40 years ago as a teenager . Really I wanted to collect European arms and armour as I was very much into the medieval period, but somehow my pocket money didnt run to it ! So instead I turned to the weird and wonderful world of ethnographic arms. At that time in England there were no arms fairs and the only places you could pick up these strange artefacts was junk shops and antique fairs & shops.. but mostly ( in my experience ) junk shops. That's because the perception of these items was as 'rubbish' . I became fascinated by them and just bought anything I could afford.. and believe me a lot was rubbish. There really were no reference books so mainly I didnt know what I was buying ... my crieria were very basic .. if it looked good and was cheap , it was for me ... I havent changed that much to this day. When arms fairs became common in England in the late 60s early 70s you still did not see a lot of ethnic stuff .. apart from Japanese swords & Pacific island clubs .. all at fantastic prices. I gradually got more into Indo Persian weapons ( at the low end of the market ! ) and slipped into African .. especially North African and Zulu . I have some on display but a lot still slumbers in the loft , most of which I intend to get out and trade in order to finance the habit .... I have toyed with the idea of opening a clinic to cure collectors of the addiction .. I reckon I could make a fortune from many wives !
By profession I am a horticultural consultant and this has enabled me to travel all over the world often to remote places where I have made some interesting finds. Most weekends I can be found at military shows in England or Belgium and once a year I treat myselft to the Show of Shows in Louisville.
I have just attached a few pics of some ofmy collection .. excuse the quality of the shots , I live in a dark old house !
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello, Welcome to the forum and I think you will be very happy here. The pictures you posted are just fine and show what looks to be a wonderful collection. I can't wait to see the rest.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Iain

Fantastic collection! If I can trouble you to post more of your takoubas, you seem to have some really good ones. As I am hopelessly addicted to them I always like to see more of them posted on the forums. THe one on the left in your images looks particularly good.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 05:03 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Very nice items and thanks for showing.
Warm welcome to the Forum, and I am sure you will enjoy being here.
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 05:34 PM   #5
TVV

Hi there - I enjoyed your introduction and now look forward to seeing your favorite pieces in detail.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 05:35 PM   #6
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Hello, Welcome to the forum and I think you will be very happy here. The pictures you posted are just fine and show what looks to be a wonderful collection. I can't wait to see the rest.

Robert
Thanks Robert that is very kind .
Old 7th December 2010, 05:37 PM   #7
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Fantastic collection! If I can trouble you to post more of your takoubas, you seem to have some really good ones. As I am hopelessly addicted to them I always like to see more of them posted on the forums. THe one on the left in your images looks particularly good.
Thank you Iain .. that is very kind of you to say so . I am keen on Takoubas too though I am no expert , I am very impressed with the wealth of knowledge on them on this forum , I have suffered from a dearth of such info over the last 30 years or so ! Will certainly post more pics of them in due course.
Old 7th December 2010, 05:38 PM   #8
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Very nice items and thanks for showing.
Warm welcome to the Forum, and I am sure you will enjoy being here.
Regards Stu
Thank you Stu
Old 7th December 2010, 05:39 PM   #9
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Hi there - I enjoyed your introduction and now look forward to seeing your favorite pieces in detail.

Regards,
Teodor
Thank you Teodor
Old 7th December 2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Norman McCormick

Hi and Welcome,
I look forward to seeing more of the Madu and some of those Tulwars. Believe me this is definitely the best place for a person with your 'affliction', you will find a lot of varied and like minded empathetic souls gather regularly here to sate their incurable addictions. Once again welcome.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 06:01 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum
... and your collection, too .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Freddy

Smile Welcome

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Judging from your collection, you will be a great asset to this forum.

Freddy
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 06:31 PM   #13
laEspadaAncha

Hi Thinreadline,

Wonderful collection! It is nice to see the armour component so well-represented (my own collection tends to be disproprotionately filled with "arms" and light on the armour)... I especially like your collection of dhals.

I am curious to know how you fixed your pieces to what appears to be a cinderblock wall.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I guess my only other question would be, why did it take you so long to find this place?
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 06:31 PM   #14
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi and Welcome,
I look forward to seeing more of the Madu and some of those Tulwars. Believe me this is definitely the best place for a person with your 'affliction', you will find a lot of varied and like minded empathetic souls gather regularly here to sate their incurable addictions. Once again welcome.
Regards,
Norman.
Thank you Norman , I am enjoying the site immensly
Old 7th December 2010, 06:32 PM   #15
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Welcome to the forum
... and your collection, too .
Thank you Fernando
Old 7th December 2010, 06:32 PM   #16
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Judging from your collection, you will be a great asset to this forum.

Freddy
Thank you Freddy
Old 7th December 2010, 06:37 PM   #17
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by laEspadaAncha
Hi Thinreadline,

Wonderful collection! It is nice to see the armour component so well-represented (my own collection tends to be disproprotionately filled with "arms" and light on the armour)... I especially like your collection of dhals.

I am curious to know how you fixed your pieces to what appears to be a cinderblock wall.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I guess my only other question would be, why did it take you so long to find this place?
Thank you very much , I am very keen on dhals , most of them collected 30 years or more ago. Oh but you have mortally hurt my feelings .. cinder block walls .. in my ancient house ! .. you have brought tears to my eyes !
No the walls are perfectly solid .. I just use double nail brass picture hooks and wire.
Old 7th December 2010, 08:25 PM   #18
Sajen

Hi,

also from me a warm welcome! Nice collection.

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 10:56 PM   #19
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes welcome aboard and if you ever want to through those things in the garbage, let me rumage through it first please!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 11:48 PM   #20
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

WELCOME TO THE GROUP
ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO ADD NEW MEMBERS THEIR KNOWLEGE AND COLLECTIONS IS WHAT MAKES THIS FORUM GROW AND MORE INFORMATION IS ADDED AND SAVED FOR POSTERITY.
WE ARE KINDRED SPIRITS AS I STARTED ABOUT THE SAME TIME AND MY COLLECTING ADDITCTION PARALLELS YOURS. I HAD ACCESS TO MORE PHILIPPINE AND SOUTH PACIFIC ITEMS SO HAD LESS AFRICAN, INDIAN AND PERSIAN THAN YOU HAD ACCESS TO IN ENGLAND. BUT MY FINANCES AND WAY OF DECIDING WHAT TO BUY WERE THE SAME. VERY NICE DISPLAY OF WEAPONS I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING MORE OF IT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 12:53 AM   #21
Atlantia

Welcome! Great collection.
I look forward to seeing some close-up in threads to come!!

Best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 08:59 AM   #22
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Hi,

Freddy
Hi Freddy ... nice to see a Belgian here .. we visit many of your shows .. esp Ostende, Ciney & Arlon , I beleive there is a new one in Gent in January . So maybe I shall see you at one of these , tot ziens !
Old 8th December 2010, 09:01 AM   #23
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Yes welcome aboard and if you ever want to through those things in the garbage, let me rumage through it first please!
Thanks Battara I will bear that in mind ! .. will be in Louisville hunting this coming Feb
Old 8th December 2010, 09:02 AM   #24
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
WELCOME TO THE GROUP
ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO ADD NEW MEMBERS THEIR KNOWLEGE AND COLLECTIONS IS WHAT MAKES THIS FORUM GROW AND MORE INFORMATION IS ADDED AND SAVED FOR POSTERITY.
WE ARE KINDRED SPIRITS AS I STARTED ABOUT THE SAME TIME AND MY COLLECTING ADDITCTION PARALLELS YOURS. I HAD ACCESS TO MORE PHILIPPINE AND SOUTH PACIFIC ITEMS SO HAD LESS AFRICAN, INDIAN AND PERSIAN THAN YOU HAD ACCESS TO IN ENGLAND. BUT MY FINANCES AND WAY OF DECIDING WHAT TO BUY WERE THE SAME. VERY NICE DISPLAY OF WEAPONS I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING MORE OF IT.
Thanks for your kind comments Vandoo
Old 8th December 2010, 09:02 AM   #25
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Welcome! Great collection.
I look forward to seeing some close-up in threads to come!!

Best
Gene
Thank you Atlantia
Old 8th December 2010, 09:10 AM   #26
TimW

Hy there... Welcome to the forum. It is sometimes even more rewarding to find a hidden treasure in some junk shop. At first glimpse there are some wonderful objects in your collection.

best regards

Tim
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 01:07 PM   #27
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
Thanks Battara I will bear that in mind ! .. will be in Louisville hunting this coming Feb
There are quite a few of us who also enjoy browsing the Louisville shows. We'll have to make a point to meet up. It is always nice to meet fellow enthusiasts.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 01:13 PM   #28
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW
Hy there... Welcome to the forum. It is sometimes even more rewarding to find a hidden treasure in some junk shop. At first glimpse there are some wonderful objects in your collection.

best regards

Tim
Thanks very much this has been a stimulus to really look at my collection properly.
Old 8th December 2010, 01:14 PM   #29
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
There are quite a few of us who also enjoy browsing the Louisville shows. We'll have to make a point to meet up. It is always nice to meet fellow enthusiasts.
Excellent I shall look forward to that ..
Old 8th December 2010, 01:40 PM   #30
Emanuel

Hello and welcome to the forum,

You've seen by now how exited we get seeing walls covered in weapons.
Would you happen to have any flyssa in your collection? I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to those.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote