Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th August 2016, 02:42 AM   #1
Green

Default Found at the Islamic Art Museum in Kuala Lumpur: but is this a mandau?

Saw this at the Islamic Art museum Kuala Lumpur yesterday. The scabbard is typical enough of a mandau but the blade is double edged towards the tip and the carving on the hilt is not what I've seen before.

Does anyone know what it is?... my guess is it's one of the 'mandaus' made by muslim dayaks of borneo. Would appreciate any comments/explanation and pictures of similar examples elsewhere.
Attached Images

Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 09:56 AM   #2
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
Saw this at the Islamic Art museum Kuala Lumpur yesterday. The scabbard is typical enough of a mandau but the blade is double edged towards the tip and the carving on the hilt is not what I've seen before.

Does anyone know what it is?... my guess is it's one of the 'mandaus' made by muslim dayaks of borneo. Would appreciate any comments/explanation and pictures of similar examples elsewhere.
It looks like a an atypical Mandau to me (as it sports a pointy tip and false edge which I haven't seen until now on a Mandau).
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 10:42 AM   #3
russel

Is it definitely double edged? The bevel seems to suggest a single edged, spear-point blade. Just a thought.

It is certainly unusual, and beautiful.

Russel
russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Maurice

Thanks for sharing. Interesting piece.
The blade is a bayu blade. First I thought it was a reshaped mandau, but after having a close look at the photo, it looks like it also had been forged this way.
Probably it is a version of a bayu blade around 1900, or might be slightly earlier.

Though the dragonmotifs (incised at the base) on the blade and the scabbard seem to be from Central Borneo (Kayan tribes), the hilt is from more southern areas. Could be an old match though, looking at the resin ring which looks original and old.

A typicall Bayu scabbard normally had been carved in the shape of the blade, and the one you are depicting has a typicall mandau scabbard. But there are some bayus known from old collections / provenance with mandau scabbards also instead of a Bayu scabbard.

If you are searching for "bayu", you will find others including more information.

Kind regards,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 11:35 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Green, thanks for posting this interesting Dayak sword, and Maurice, thank you for identifying it so precisely. The striped wood used for the scabbard has very nice figuring and reminds me of the banati wood used by Filipino Muslims on some of their hilts and scabbards. Does anyone know what wood was used to make this scabbard?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 11:54 AM   #6
asomotif

Thank you for posting.
The variation keeps amazing me.

Nothing Islamic about this Bayu.

Best regards,
Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote