Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th July 2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Bill M

Default African Shield for comments

Any ideas about this? I have eBay seller comments, but would like your input.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Freddy

Arrow

Nice shield !

I looked it up in 'Shields - from the Collections of the Barbier-Mueller Museum'. In this book, this kind of shield is attributed to the Turkana living in the northwestern region of Kenya (round lake Turkana). According to the book, this type of shield is also used by neighbouring tribes.

They were usually made of rhinoceros or hippopotamus leather, but later iron versions were developed. These were safer, lighter and far better in combat than hide shields.

What's the size of your shield ? The leather one in the book measures 83 cm.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 05:20 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Nice!

This edited picture is from C.Springs African Arms and Armour of Didinga warriors of southern Sudan. I also post pictures of a spear from the area and possibly Uganda. A hard knife like blade 28cm long, just the blade that is, with a heavy rib 1.5cm. The socket part is faceted. This form of spear is light and balanced for throwing and yet strong enough to use as a lance/shock weapon with a shield.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 05:33 PM   #4
katana

Very nice shield Bill,
I've noticed that on eBay recently there have been a number of 'Toposa' / 'Turkana' type shields that are very similar to yours. Yours seems to have a nice 'solid' look about it. I have also seen some examples for sale made from sheet metal, as Freddy has already mentioned. Unfortunately, both examples where severly dented and looked in poor condition.

Not so certain the 'smaller shield' with Washington's portrait would offer much protection....

Tim, I love the design of the spearhead, you can see how the design provides 'lightness' ,with strength provided by the the ribs. Saving the amount of steel/iron used but, requiring greater skill and time to produce.

Last edited by katana; 20th July 2006 at 05:44 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Nice shield !

I looked it up in 'Shields - from the Collections of the Barbier-Mueller Museum'. In this book, this kind of shield is attributed to the Turkana living in the northwestern region of Kenya (round lake Turkana). According to the book, this type of shield is also used by neighbouring tribes.

They were usually made of rhinoceros or hippopotamus leather, but later iron versions were developed. These were safer, lighter and far better in combat than hide shields.

What's the size of your shield ? The leather one in the book measures 83 cm.
Freddy,

This is smaller about 54cm (21 inches) by 21cm (8.5 inches). The seller said it was Turkana.
Old 20th July 2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Titus Pullo

What do they make those sheilds out off? I bet if they use rhinocerous hide it would be very strong and formidable. I heard not even some old model guns can penatrate their hides; they have really thick, tough skin. I hear that's what they some sheilds from in Siam. It would make sense to make them from those animals. Anyway, did you know that horses and rhinocerous are closely related?
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 11:35 PM   #7
Bill M

Maybe they make them from Lucius Vorenus. I hear he had a tough hide!

Two of my favorite Romans!