Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st October 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default OT, Arabic Translation... help required

Hi Y'all

Well heres another go at that pesky plate.
A kind friend has helped pin it down to being probobly Eygptian or Syrian.
I did post some pics a long time back, but they were at best indistinct, so I hope my highlighting efforts can help shed some light on it?

I can't seem t find a date in there, and can't make any headway with translating it. Any info gladly received.

Last edited by Atlantia; 31st October 2009 at 10:58 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Y'all
Well heres another go at that pesky plate.
A kind friend has helped pin it down to being probobly Eygptian or Syrian.
... snp ...
I can't seem t find a date in there, and can't make any headway with translating it. Any info gladly received.
Hi Atlantia
you are correct, most probably Egyptian or Syrian job
the inlay mentions are done in Arabic, but in a form very difficult to translate, I mean for us, sorry
may be somebody else ??

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:49 AM   #3
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Hi Atlantia
the inlay mentions are done in Arabic, but in a form very difficult to translate, I mean for us, sorry
may be somebody else ??

à +

Dom

Hi Dom,
Thanks for the input. I think that last time, my picture taking skills failed us somewhat, and you thought the language might even be persian?
But the pictures were far less clear. At least we are sure it is Arabic now, hopeufully someone will have a clue what it is saying... Insa'allah.
No need to say sorry, you are always generous with your time when helping your monolingual comrades here.
May I ask why it is a difficult form? How does it differ from the Arabic that you usually deal with? (please forgive my lack of understanding)
I had assumed that the panels were religious verses, but I can only see 'allah' in the top right panel, so I wondered if it is one long passage in six parts?

Kind Regards
Gene

Last edited by Atlantia; 3rd November 2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 6th November 2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Atlantia

Nobody?
Old 11th November 2009, 03:48 AM   #5
Dom

[QUOTE = Atlantia]
Mai je me demande pourquoi elle est une forme difficile? Comment est-elle différente de l'arabe que vous traitez habituellement avec? (s'il vous plaît pardonnez mon manque de compréhension) [/ QUOTE] Salut Gene
Ici, vous aurez une idée sur laquelle nous sommes confrontés à préoccupation pour la traduction
[url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_calligraphy [/ url]
spécialement jeter un oeil en bas de page: p

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 06:09 PM   #6
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Hi Atlantia
may be somebody else ??

à +

Dom
Gene,
I agree with Dom and his lovely half:-) it is difficult to translate because of the way the calligrafy is done; it's like: the more sophisticated and stylish it is -the harder it is to translate. I have a small English silver case, and I still cannot make the 3 letters engraved on it... and it is in English calligraphy:-) So the script on your plate, as well as it's overall quality, is very sophisticated, i.e. 'not easy'... it's simply outstanding.
The only bits I can tell are: the top right image mentions word "Amel Masr", i.e. "Work? Egypt", the lower right has word "Cairo", and the lower left I believe has a verse "...Heavens are Under the Feet of Mothers". I believe it is a famous verse (perhaps Koranic). I think it'll make a perfect gift to Louise.. just a hint:-)
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
[QUOTE = Atlantia]
Mai je me demande pourquoi elle est une forme difficile? Comment est-elle différente de l'arabe que vous traitez habituellement avec? (s'il vous plaît pardonnez mon manque de compréhension) [/ QUOTE] Salut Gene
Ici, vous aurez une idée sur laquelle nous sommes confrontés à préoccupation pour la traduction
[url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_calligraphy [/ url]
spécialement jeter un oeil en bas de page: p

à +

Dom

Merci Dom.

I see what you mean.

Thanks
Gene
Old 13th December 2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Atlantia

Here's the whole pesky plate, in case anyone doesn't remember it.
Old 13th December 2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
Gene,
I agree with Dom and his lovely half:-) it is difficult to translate because of the way the calligrafy is done; it's like: the more sophisticated and stylish it is -the harder it is to translate. I have a small English silver case, and I still cannot make the 3 letters engraved on it... and it is in English calligraphy:-) So the script on your plate, as well as it's overall quality, is very sophisticated, i.e. 'not easy'... it's simply outstanding.
The only bits I can tell are: the top right image mentions word "Amel Masr", i.e. "Work? Egypt", the lower right has word "Cairo", and the lower left I believe has a verse "...Heavens are Under the Feet of Mothers". I believe it is a famous verse (perhaps Koranic). I think it'll make a perfect gift to Louise.. just a hint:-)

Ello mate.

Thanks Alex you're very kind. It sounds like you've made some real progress, thanks
Shame there's no date in it
I told Louise... She wouldn't want it because it 'smells like pennys' LOL

As for your silver case......

I've taken a few liberties with the picture, but I think its: 'BGJ'
Old 14th December 2009, 05:45 AM   #10
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
Gene,
B G and F or S
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 11:43 AM   #11
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
...it 'smells like pennys' LOL

...I think its: 'BGJ'

Gene, Stu:
Many thanks for the "translation" attempt. My only point was to demonstrate the intricacies associated with translating calligraphic inscriptions, and that sometimes it is not an "open book" translation, especially with Islamic calligraphy, where the decorative aspect is as deep as the meaning.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote