Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 24th June 2007, 07:05 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default Keris and Hilt for Comment

Dear All,

I obtained this (Bugis) keris this weekend. The blade and sheath, and separately the hilt, the hilt cup. I got too separately, six handles with motives. Is this Bugis with luks? I would like to have your comments, please...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Henk

Ganjawulung,

I hestitate a bit about this keris.

It is a lovely keris, that's for sure.

The sheath looks very Bugis to me, The ukiran is Sumatran but i doubt it is Bugis.
The keris itself isn't a Bugis blade but has a Javanese apearance.
Two possibilities. Javanese blades were highly apreciated and brought by sailors from Java to Sumatra. It is also known that keris blades on Sumatra were forged to Javanese origin.

That's why I hestitate to say this keris is Bugis. For the moment I would say Sumatra.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 02:38 PM   #3
ganjawulung

Me too, Henk,

I hesitate to say that this is a correct Bugis composition. Frankly speaking, I got these keris' parts separately: the sheath and the blade, then the hilt. The hilt cup, I have kept this for quite a long time... I just try to compose it. So I need your comment on this composition...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your kind attention Henk...

Ganjawulung
Old 24th June 2007, 03:57 PM   #4
BluErf

Hi,

Sheath is Sulawesi,

pendoko is Trengganu (N. Malay).

Hilt looks new, but there is a Sulawesi form like this as well. I think most forumnites must be thinking of the Riau Bugis form which is similar to this. But I think this form is more akin to Sulawesi. Jon posted a similar kind of hilt a while back.

Blade has been washed in hi-contrast manner akin to Javanese kerises, but I don't think it is Javanese. From the dapur, it could be Sumatran Bugis.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 04:06 PM   #5
BluErf

Here's the link:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4601

There is a more similar example on Kampungnet, but I think the website may have "kicked the bucket" for good...
Old 24th June 2007, 04:10 PM   #6
BluErf

Ok, here's the hilt on the Sulawesi keris belonging to Dave Henkel, which was on Kampungnet:
Attached Images

Old 24th June 2007, 04:51 PM   #7
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
...Sheath is Sulawesi,

pendoko is Trengganu (N. Malay).

Hilt looks new, but there is a Sulawesi form like this as well. I think most forumnites must be thinking of the Riau Bugis form which is similar to this. But I think this form is more akin to Sulawesi. Jon posted a similar kind of hilt a while back.
Yes, BluErf,

I think this sheath is Sulawesi. Pretty sure, Bugis. Pendoko? This is something new for me. Thank you for informing, that this pendoko is Northern Malay. The hilts, I don't think this is a new one. I have cleaned it, with tooth-brush-shampoo and then with auto-polish . Really, this is not new one. I just think this is original. The blade? Sure, not Javanese blade -- from the forging of pamor, and the details of keris.

The pamor, in Javanese term we call it "pamor tritikan" and not "untu walang" (grasshopper-teeth). But not as fine as Javanese pamor.

Thanks alot, BluErf. Very useful information from you...

Ganjawulung
Old 24th June 2007, 10:28 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Ganja, would it be possible for you to do a close up of the sorsoran, and the pesi, I would especially like to see clearly the last , say, half inch of the pesi as it enters the gonjo.Thanks, Alan.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 03:53 AM   #9
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Ganja, would it be possible for you to do a close up of the sorsoran, and the pesi, I would especially like to see clearly the last , say, half inch of the pesi as it enters the gonjo.Thanks, Alan.
Yes Alan,
For the sake of the keris knowledge, this is the picture you wish to see...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 25th June 2007, 04:05 AM   #10
ganjawulung

Quote:
BluErf,
This is the sole picture of the hilt. And please regard too, to the other picture I took from Mr Hamzuri book, "Petunjuk Singkat tentang Keris" (Short Guide on Keris) published by the Department of Education and Culture (1973). Mr Hamzuri showed to the readers a Riau Lingga (Sumatera) keris which appearance looks like Sulawesi keris...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 25th June 2007, 04:09 AM   #11
PenangsangII

Default Bugis Sumbawa

Hello Pak Ganja,

Very mean looking keris. I would think 10 times before engaging a combat duel with a person wielding it .

I think the hilt is of Bugis Sumbawa origin. The rest, except for the ferrule are either Bugis or Bugis influence.
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 04:20 AM   #12
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Very mean looking keris. I would think 10 times before engaging a combat duel with a person wielding it
I would think 20 times either The blade is so "hurting". My finger was bleeding when I was rinsing it with water...

Ganjawulung
Old 25th June 2007, 07:09 AM   #13
A. G. Maisey

Thanks Ganja, you've put my mind at rest.

Don't think I've ever seen that type of blade with that pamor.

Thanks again.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 09:27 AM   #14
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
BluErf,
This is the sole picture of the hilt. And please regard too, to the other picture I took from Mr Hamzuri book, "Petunjuk Singkat tentang Keris" (Short Guide on Keris) published by the Department of Education and Culture (1973). Mr Hamzuri showed to the readers a Riau Lingga (Sumatera) keris which appearance looks like Sulawesi keris...

Ganjawulung
Ganja, I've seen the picture from the book and had seen the hlit up-close, when it was loaned to Malay Heritage Centre (in Singapore), some time ago. Also featured on the front cover of the book, Court Arts of Indonesia.

The form is similar but not the same...
Attached Images

Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 10:24 AM   #15
BluErf

Quote:
BluErf,

Ganjawulung
Hi Ganjawulung,

This keris you referred to is a famous keris, and it is an archetypal Riau Bugis keris. I would say it is the benchmark for all Riau Bugis kerises. Shahrial has a couple of Riau Bugis kerises with similar hilts. Perhaps Shahrial could post pics of his 2 keris hilts for comparison.

The reason why I think your keris hilt is Sulawesi rather than Riau was because of the pierced-through 'appendage' on the underside of the head and the more acute angle of bending of the head. The "appendage" is also present in the 2 examples I referred to above, but is not so obvious in Riau examples. The more acute angle of bending is a common feature in Sulawesi pistol-grip hilts.

However, I may be wrong. So if anyone has any information, references, please raise them. Thank you.
Old 25th June 2007, 10:53 AM   #16
PenangsangII

According to Suhartono Rahardjo in his book 'Ragam Hulu Keris Sejak Zaman Kerajaan' published by Lembaga Kreasi Penerbitan Masyarakat (LKPM) Jan 2003, the kemuning hulu (kerdas) shown by Ganjawulung is from Sumbawa island, derived from Bugis pistol grip hulu. The author himself is an avid collector of keris hilt.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:18 AM   #17
Alam Shah

Quote:
According to Suhartono Rahardjo in his book 'Ragam Hulu Keris Sejak Zaman Kerajaan' published by Lembaga Kreasi Penerbitan Masyarakat (LKPM) Jan 2003, the kemuning hulu (kerdas) shown by Ganjawulung is from Sumbawa island, derived from Bugis pistol grip hulu. The author himself is an avid collector of keris hilt.
For general knowledge, Suhartono Rahardjo's hilt book is good, but it does have its fair share of less accurate information for hilts outside Java. It should be taken with a pinch of salt. Perhaps, it might be due to hilt understanding from a Javanese standpoint.

Michael (VVV) have a similar hilt type, mounted on another weapon, which is not a keris, if I recall correctly.

Kai Wee, I'll take a close-up of my hilt soon, for comparison.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:37 AM   #18
Alam Shah

Default Compare...

Quote:
... This keris you referred to is a famous keris, and it is an archetypal Riau Bugis keris. I would say it is the benchmark for all Riau Bugis kerises. Shahrial has a couple of Riau Bugis kerises with similar hilts. Perhaps Shahrial could post pics of his 2 keris hilts for comparison.
An example of a hilt mounted on a Bugis Riau keris.
http://alamshah.fotopic.net/p31970087.html

Another example mounted on a Southern Peninsular keris.
http://alamshah.fotopic.net/p31948135.html

Compare...
Note: Throughout the Malay archipelago, there are many cases of mix and match with parts from other region.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 25th June 2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: edit link...
Old 25th June 2007, 11:56 AM   #19
PenangsangII

AlamShah, thanks for your yet again 'pictorial' explanation .

If I may ask, what's the difference between the straits & Sulawesi hilts?

From my own observation, there's not much difference, maybe the way the keris is held the straits way - pinch grip (cucuk sanggul style), and Sulawesi way - real pistol grip (segenggam padi) due to taller pendokok stem. But this is of course subject to personal preference of the wielder .
Old 25th June 2007, 12:04 PM   #20
ganjawulung

Quote:
The reason why I think your keris hilt is Sulawesi rather than Riau was because of the pierced-through 'appendage' on the underside of the head and the more acute angle of bending of the head. The "appendage" is also present in the 2 examples I referred to above, but is not so obvious in Riau examples. The more acute angle of bending is a common feature in Sulawesi pistol-grip hilts.
Thanks for the useful infos, BluErf. In the coming days there will be more hilts, sheaths and kerises from Bugis, Sulawesi and Lombok which will be send to me by some friends. So I will need to have more infos from you..

Ganjawulung
Old 25th June 2007, 12:10 PM   #21
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
For general knowledge, Suhartono Rahardjo's hilt book is good, but it does have its fair share of less accurate information for hilts outside Java. It should be taken with a pinch of salt. Perhaps, it might be due to hilt understanding from a Javanese standpoint.
Dear Shahrial,
So which book do you think is better on hilts? I knew personally Suhartono Rahardjo a couple years ago, but no more contact for a long time. As far as I know, he was (is) an engineer, working in Soroaco (nikel industry in Sulawesi), but he is Surabayanese... He has many collections on Nusantara hilts...

Ganjawulung
Old 25th June 2007, 02:12 PM   #22
Alam Shah

Quote:
Dear Shahrial,
So which book do you think is better on hilts?
That depends, which type of hilts are we talking about. Peninsular hilts are not reflected in Suhartono's book. On page 66, Fig. 111, I don't think it's a Lampung hilt. For Fig. 112, I don't think it a Pekakak hilt form, either.

Quote:
I knew personally Suhartono Rahardjo a couple years ago, but no more contact for a long time. As far as I know, he was (is) an engineer, working in Soroaco (nikel industry in Sulawesi), but he is Surabayanese... He has many collections on Nusantara hilts...
Thanks for the intro. If you happen to meet him, send my regards, for writing such a book which benefit us collectors. I reckon he does have an extensive collection, like you.
Old 25th June 2007, 04:01 PM   #23
Alam Shah

Default Sumbawa hilt example...

Quote:
Example of one of Sumbawa's hilt form...
(Ref: Tammens - De Kris 3, Pg: 193, Fig: 194.)
Attached Images

Old 25th June 2007, 04:12 PM   #24
Alam Shah

Default Sulawesi hilt example...

Example of a similar Sulawesi hilt. For comparison...
(Ref: Kerner's Keris-Griffe, Aus Museen Und Privatsammlungen, Pg: 141, Fig: 212).
Attached Images

Old 26th June 2007, 02:16 AM   #25
ganjawulung

Thanks Shahrial,
This is for more comparison...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 26th June 2007, 02:31 AM   #26
ganjawulung

And different with these other Sulawesi hilts...
Attached Images

Old 26th June 2007, 02:36 AM   #27
PenangsangII

Default Bugis vs Makassar

Dear Pak Ganja,

Your hilt looks like from Sulawesi Buton if Mr Suhartono is right. I think when discussing Sulawesi (keris, sarung or hilt for that matter), we ought to remember not to confuse Buginese with Makasarese, though generally speaking they are from the same stock. I guess we shouldnt confuse Javanese with Sundanese either.
Old 26th June 2007, 02:41 AM   #28
ganjawulung

Quote:
Your hilt looks like from Sulawesi Buton if Mr Suhartono is right. I think when discussing Sulawesi (keris, sarung or hilt for that matter), we ought to remember not to confuse Buginese with Makasarese, though generally speaking they are from the same stock. I guess we shouldnt confuse Javanese with Sundanese either.
Thanks a lot, Penangsang,

And the two hilts, are they Buginese? Or Buton?
Old 26th June 2007, 03:16 AM   #29
PenangsangII

Pak Ganja,

About the other 2 hilts, they are not clearly stated by Mr Suhartono, but my take is.

the 1st one is makasarese because of the conic pistol grip type & the other one could be South Sulawesi Bugis. But I could be wrong too.
Old 26th June 2007, 03:18 AM   #30
Alam Shah

Quote:
...This is for more comparison...
... similar to mine. Mine is mounted on a Peninsular Malay keris...
Attached Images