Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th May 2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Alam Shah

Default Keris Hilt Material

Hi all,

I would like to know what type of hilt material is this?
From the form, where does it originated?
Other information is also welcomed. [ link ]
Attached Images

Last edited by Alam Shah; 20th May 2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add photos
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 07:11 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Shahrial. Nice hilt. Sure looks like sea ivory to me. Dugong maybe. Is there some reason that you think it is something other than that?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 11:19 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

I've got a number of keris with Bugis style hilts that look like they have the same material as this one. I've always thought it was elephant ivory. I just went and had a look at them under magnification , and there is a distinct grain, and some superficial cracking as we could expect with elephant ivory. I'm not taking a position and saying this definitely is elephant ivory, but it sure looks like it to me, and I have some difficulty in imagining what other source could provide material of sufficient size and shape to allow this style of hilt to be produced.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Hi Shahrial. Nice hilt. Sure looks like sea ivory to me. Dugong maybe. Is there some reason that you think it is something other than that?
Thanks David. I guess it may be sea ivory(?). But from what animal, I'm not sure. Where is this form of hilt originated from?
Old 20th May 2008, 01:22 AM   #5
asomotif

Dear Alam Shah,

it is certainly not elefant ivory.
Elefant ivory has very distinct lines that at one point ore another are crossing each other forming little squares.

On the back of your hilt there is a dark line/crack with small dark dots along it.
I have been told that this line is specific for hippo ivory.
I have seen rencongs with hilts showing this line.

Best regards,
Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 08:52 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Yes, it is true that elephant ivory will often show a cross-hatch grain, but it cannot be taken for granted that because ivory does not show a cross-hatch, it is not elephant ivory.

I have several hundred pieces of ivory, about 100 or so are ivory keris handles, the rest are netsukes, small ivory figurines, and other little bits and pieces. Some that is definitely elephant ivory does not show a cross-hatch grain.

The four bent over handles that I have posted pics of do have a grain, but it is not cross-hatch. I've always thought of these handles as elephant ivory, but I'd be the first to admit they might not be. However, if they are not, what other source, readily available to craftsmen in SE Asia, could provide material of sufficient size to allow handles like this to be produced? Whales teeth wouldn't do it. Walrus? Dugong? Boar? What? These are pretty serious lumps of ivory.

The upright handle is definitely elephant ivory, I've put this up for comparison.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 09:38 AM   #7
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
The upright handle is definitely elephant ivory, I've put this up for comparison.
Hi Alan,
A beautiful display of ivory hilts. I agree with the upright being elephant ivory.
Others are... hmmm...
I'm pretty much interested in all 4 bent hilts, including their hilt cups... especially the 2nd piece. But unfortunately, I could only dream of it... and drool.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 21st May 2008 at 01:49 AM.