Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th March 2013, 11:45 AM   #1
paolo

Here is my one, and a pic of my rino hilted guradè pommel caps with a (common) Maria Theresa thaler. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Theresa_thaler
Paolo
Attached Images

paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Taffjones

Just a quick few lines to say thank you to everybody past, present and future who is helping in this thread. My brain is positively swelling with the information gained.

Taff
Taffjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Wodimi

great, a fantastic example Paolo and sure from DaveA too.

Regarding the question from Iain and DaveA it's difficult to answer. The three in the middle of my group I think are from the Amhara living on the central highland plateau of Ethiopia. The one on the top and the bottom of the group picture I think more south from the ethnic group Oromo, formerly often called Galla. Sorry that I can't say more.
Wodimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Congratulation on your nice collection of Abyssinian sabres, Wolf (nicely treated blades)!
As far as the group photo is concerned, I think the lowest sabre is "gile" ("jely"), allegedly used by Danakil before (I would say eastern part of Ethiopia - the scabbard used to have the same features like Danakil/Afar daggers). I do not think it is "sword common in many Eastern African countries" (description from Tirri´s book). Once it was common in "antique shops" in Addis, now it is becoming rare.... The handle is usually made of hard wood.
I know some authors describe Ethiopian sabres and swords as a group of shotels (which varies from straight shotels called saifs/seifs through normally curved shotels called gorades/gurades to deeply curved sabres called simply shotels). But when I discussed with Addis sellers, they always spoke only about saifs (straight), only about gorades (single edged mostly European blade). And shotel was name of a big "round" sickle weapon with double edged blade, nearly always of local production (based on this experience I would even call the sabre from Tirri´s book, fig 52, page 82 with Wilkinsom blade "shotel with the blade made by Wilkinson", not gorade). This is my personal opinion, but similar to the description in "African Arms and Armour".
Gorades and saifs often used to have rhino hilts, shotels mostly cattle horn hilts. I even saw something like bakelite hilts.
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Wodimi

Thanks Martin for your comment. I will add your words to my records, we never know enough, but always a little bit more with the time.
Best wishes,
Wolf
Wodimi is offline   Reply With Quote