Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st March 2007, 01:48 AM   #1
kino

Default Pamur? Dapur? Origins?

Need help in ID'ing this Keris.
Dimensions OAL 18", blade 14.75"
There seem to be a thin copper sheet sandwiched between the ganja and the blade and also in the ganja itself. There's a piece missing from the hilt.
Is it Sumatran?
Thankx.
Attached Images

Last edited by kino; 21st March 2007 at 03:31 AM.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 03:16 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Thumbs up Sweet!

Yes, it is Sumatran, Palembang i'd say, and a sweet one at that. It looks like scattered rice to me. The execution is beatiful. It looks there there was once kinatah on the gandik and the top of the gonjo. Nice repousse work on what appears to be a silver selut. is the hulu ivory?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 03:18 AM   #3
Alam Shah

Hi Kino,

Yes, it's seems to be from Palembang, Sumatra. The sheath's cross-piece is typical Palembang but the shaft (batang,gandar) seems a bit too big for the sheath joint. The brass piece is probably to strengthen the repaired joint.

The blade is pretty nice. The picture of the blade is too shiny. Difficult to try IDing the pamor type. Better picture might help.

The sumatran selut, (a nicely made piece), seems a bit oversized for the hilt. For the hilt, the beak-like portion is missing. See here, [ BluErf's example ] for comparison.

As for the dapur and pamor, I hope others can assist soon.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 21st March 2007 at 04:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 03:25 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

It would be nice to see it in stain. I would like ti see more pictures of the hilt. You are probably right about the beak Shahrial, but it would help to see better pictures. The selut might be a bit oversized, but i wouldn't complain.
Looks like a keris well worth having.
Old 21st March 2007, 03:56 AM   #5
kino

Thanks for the lesson, David and Alam Shah.
I see what you mean by the selut being a little oversized. The selut is rose colored, somewhat coppery, not silver. From what I can tell, the Hulu is wood.
Yes the beak has broken off.
I will take more photos tomorrow.
Old 21st March 2007, 04:02 AM   #6
Alam Shah

David, I see we were writing about the same time, but you posted first.

For the pamor, my first impression was Beras Wutah (scattered rice) as well, but I would like to confirm with better pictures.

Kino, I believe the thin copper sheet (visible from picture 3), are remnants of kinatah works. Like you mentioned, it can be seen on the ganja and on the underside of the kembang kacang.

David, I'm not complaining either, just stating my observation.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 21st March 2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 04:08 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Same about the beak. Still not the end of the world and you could swap it out if you felt like it. The selut does look more silvery on the screen. That's the problem with pics on the internet. Could the it be suaasa? Wouldn't be too unusual given there was once gold on the blade.
Old 23rd March 2007, 01:36 AM   #8
kino

Here are some additonal photos.
Attached Images

Old 23rd March 2007, 02:06 AM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for the better pics Kino. Yeah, it's a real shame about the hilt. In the new pics it shows many nice details and subtlies.
I would also stick to the Beras Wutah (scattered rice) assessment given the new pics.
No worries Shahrial, i know you're not complaining. Great minds think alike, eh?
Old 23rd March 2007, 04:15 AM   #10
Newsteel

Kino, I found the blade really nice. It is a good Palembang blade (personnally). Palembang is within Sumatra. Blade have 11 luks (curves), but not sure what dapur is this. Pamor is beras wutah or wos wutah (scattered rice) variations. Possibility there was once kinatah at the gandik area, could be gold or tembaga or suasa. Or maybe gilded material.

I agree about the oversize selut. However, the silver selut is beautiful. The hilt (beak was broken) but I believe you can find a good replacement. If you can etch the blade with warangan, it would be eye pleasing to watch and admire (I thought so).
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote