Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 21st January 2019, 01:38 PM   #1
sirek

Default BANJARMASIN KERIS ?

I bought a box with a few krissen, most of them in poor condition !
The reason for purchase was that, my eye had fallen on a type of warangka that I think is Banjarmasin? ( Including the special "restoration")
I saw this type in a earlier tread:
http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=154987 and: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=banjarmasin

a nice wrangka with the exagerated lambe and decoration on both sides, and a beautiful wooden carved hilt (not the usual one with the many (non)-precious stones)
my opinion is that they are quite rare, there is little information available
Maybe someone can tell me more about it?
Attached Images

sirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 01:43 PM   #2
sirek

after some cleaning
Attached Images

Old 21st January 2019, 05:21 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Sirek, nice keris and a good restoration job.
Frankly i am not sure anyone has convincingly tied particular styles of sheaths, and certain not blades, to Banjarmasin. I have yet to see strong evidence that they had an indigenous keris culture and it seems that most blades, and possibly nicer sheaths, were imported. The gold wash hilts covered with jewels seem to be the one signature style to this area, but even that seems to be mostly in the way these hilts are decorated, not in the intrinsic form. Underneath the gold and jewels we still tend to see hilt styles that were established in other areas. I have seen this planar style of your hilt before, but from my surveys it seems less popular than the Burung styles know in Sumatra (sans gold and jewels of course).
But your ensemble at least gives the impression of being fairly original and complete. I at least get the impression that these parts have been together for sometime. Your worngko seems most like the horn one shown in your second link, though it does not seem that members there came to any real consensus on its origins.
The shape and style of your hilt seem to follow this form with carved foliage instead of the gold wash and jewels. Also much like this ivory (?) hilt that was attributed to Borneo.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=95318
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 07:31 PM   #4
sirek

Thank you David,
I found another image of a similar worngko with a Banjarmasin hilt.

I also read that they did mostly importing,
These worngko’s are probably scarce, because they are locally produced and that the maker gave it its own style?
(they are also smaller than the normal gayaman style)
Attached Images