Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th April 2010, 02:01 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default A few sundry pirate items...

Arrrr...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Had some rare time on my hands, so I thought I'd take a pic of a couple items. Here we have a Queen Ann style cannon barrel pocket pistol. Despite its size, it was a .45 cal! Two types existed of this pistol, with this being the true "pocket" size. A favorite of sea captains who carried them in their great coats while visiting the local port taverns. They likewise saw sea service on privateers. This one dates to circa 1770.

The other item is a grenado, from which the hand grenade we all know descended from. It was small enough to store in buckets and carried up into the Great Tops. The hole would have had a fuse thrust through a wooden tube/plug. These things really could turn the tide of a successful boarding. During John Paul Jones great naval fight off Flamborough Head, the battle was won by a sailor in the rigging dropping handfuls of these on the British ship's deck. This specimen still has the congealed powder/explosive visible down the hole. Wouldn't want to throw this one in a fireplace-
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Don't drop it either !
Nice pistol .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 03:00 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Pistol in some respects (especially the handle) reminds me of the Scottish pistol.

Little grenade reminds me of a small boweling ball in looks. Wonder what it would do to 10 pins!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 05:31 AM   #4
M ELEY

Thanks, gents, for the compliments on the gun. I think the silver wirework was something seen on some Scot pistols?

Ahh, well bowling with one of these, you never have to worry about getting a split.
Old 27th April 2010, 01:05 PM   #5
celtan

Can the barrel be unscrewed?

And yes, BP can remain active for centuries, the coarser the grain, the longer its life.

Best

M
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 03:07 PM   #6
M ELEY

Hello Manuel,
Yes, these type barrels are meant to be un-screwed using a special wench tool which I unfortunately don't possess at the moment. I had thought about using a tool wrapped in cloth so as not to marr the barrel, but I didn't want to risk it.

Yes, it was only several years ago that an esteemed collector of Civil War munitions was killed when he was cutting into an old Dahlgren shell, I believe? It is a popular thing to have some of these old shell casings cut in half, but of course, extremely dangerous unless you know what you are doing!!
Old 27th April 2015, 10:56 PM   #7
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Here we have a Queen Ann style cannon barrel pocket pistol. Despite its size, it was a .45 cal! Two types existed of this pistol, with this being the true "pocket" size.
Hi M ELEY,
That is a nice short sword you posted today.

There is some disagreement about what is and what is not a "Queen Ann Pistol". I believe that your pistol may more accurately be described as a Box Lock Pistol. Like the conventional Queen Ann, they have turn-off barrels. Burgoyne does cover Box Lock Pistols in his book "The Queen Anne Pistol 1660-1780", but many collectors wouldn't classify a Box Lock Pistol as a Queen Anne.

To quote one well know Queen Anne collector John Chalapis:

I would also like to mention that the box lock, center cock variety that came into vogue during the last half of the 18th century, was purposely not included in my talk as I feel that this variety was not the true Queen Anne but a modification of less expensive design and manufacture

http://americansocietyofarmscollecto...8_Chalapis.pdf

Last edited by dana_w; 28th April 2015 at 03:16 AM.
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 02:47 AM   #8
M ELEY

Thanks for the proper terminology, Dana. I had always wondered about that screw barrel pistols continued use far longer than the so called Queen Anne types...
Old 28th April 2015, 03:03 AM   #9
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Thanks for the proper terminology, Dana. I had always wondered about that screw barrel pistols continued use far longer than the so called Queen Anne types...
Check out my avatar M ELEY. With the exception of a grotesque mask on the butt-cap, it has all the features you'd expect to find in a Queen Anne Pistol. Some might consider it a Queen Anne, but because it was probably made around 1690 it is really a prototype of what would become know as the Queen Anne. Queen Anne`s reign didn't begin until March 8th 1702, and you can't have a Queen Anne Pistol before there is a Queen Anne.

http://weaponscollector.com/h_ellis_c1690.php

Last edited by dana_w; 28th April 2015 at 10:50 PM.
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 04:53 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I would point out here that 'Cap'n Mark' was using the term 'Queen Anne' 'contextually' I believe, to describe this small but potent 'pocket cannon'. As a brilliant author of tales of the 'Golden Age of Piracy' his thoughts naturally are of these times particularly during the reign of Queen Anne ( many pirates had allegiance to her despite their outlaw ways, i.e Blackbeard's ship the Queen Annes Revenge).

It would seem that while the 'golden age' had long passed, the traditions and activities of 'piracy' continued well into the 18th century, as did the 'Spanish Main', as one of the driving forces in these pursuits . In the many years of collecting and studying the arms used in these colorful times, one may be allowed a bit of latitude in my opinion in describing the arms in that sense .

As Burgoyne states ("The Queen Anne Pistol" 1660-1780", 2002, p.52),
"...the boxlock was a logical development of the side cock Queen Anne style pistol".
Perhaps the date range covered in this outstanding reference which includes the period of the pistol Mark has shown (1770) also would allow the term to be inferred in this sense. Actually he describes the pistol as Queen Anne 'style' in the same manner as Burgoyne.

Naturally, the later pistols in Burgoyne are properly termed 'boxlock',but for our moments venturing into the literary world of piracy ("Treasure Island" was set in the 1750s) , we might consider a pirate captain with one of these in his coat pocket as Mark describes........and he may well have recalled the times of Queen Anne.

I think there's still a bit of 'romantic ' in most of us old sea dogs!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 05:13 PM   #11
CutlassCollector

Nice pistol Mark, and good to see a nautical thread again.
I'm also looking forward to the book publication - sounds like a good yarn.
CC.
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote