Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 11th March 2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Gustav

Default Malay (?) keris from Ebay

Dear All,

this one just ended on Ebay. It interested me, becouse I have never seen a Malay(?) sandang walikat sheet. Also the hilt form (Hulu Burung Serindit (?)) is not often seen.

The blade seems to be in very good condition (if it is old).
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Gustav

The hilt and sheath (Not so much patina?).
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Marcokeris

very good...i like a lot the hit, but also sarong and the blade seem nice (pamor tritik?)
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 10:27 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

I could be much more certain of my following comments were I to have this keris in my hand, however, here are my immediate impressions:-

1)--- blade is very recent Madura

2)--- hilt is recent Madura production

3)--- scabbard is an old one that has been reshaped to a sandang walikat form, and the piece of horn added to the top to allow perfect fitting of a blade that does not belong with this scabbard.

This appears to be a recent, high class and deliberate attempt to decieve.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Alan, the clues that triggered your impressions ; would you care to elaborate for our edification ?

Last edited by Rick; 11th March 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 05:24 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Blade:- if it looks like a duck, it is a duck, and I've seen thousands of this particular breed of duck. This is not an exaggeration.

Handle:- I've seen this hilt motif in new hilts from Madura, and it looks like Sumenep work, but I'm not nearly so certain of this as I am of the blade; it could probably come from anywhere where good quality carving is still done.

Scabbard:- I've seen the horn glued to the top of the wrongko to ensure good fit a few times, but never on anything old; the actual wood itself looks oldish, it may not have originally been a keris scabbard, but something else; the ivory buntut is perfect and obviously new, normally they're patinated and with a crack or two.

As always when looking at pics, I could be wrong --- but overall I don't think I am. I tend to automatically distrust anything I have not seen before, and I've never seen anything at all like this. With all the keris I have seen and handled, I should have, if it is a genuine type.
Old 21st March 2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Hartadi

1)--- blade is very recent Madura

2)--- hilt is recent Madura production

This appears to be a recent, high class and deliberate attempt to decieve.[/QUOTE]

Hi Alan, can you please advise how did you define the blade is recent Madura ? is that way to say the blade is newly made or it was made in Madura (place)? cause I know some mpu also made kerisses in Jogjakarta and others..
Hartadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 03:52 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Yes, so do I.

This blade is not Central Javanese work.

I don't think I want to comment further in this matter.

I have stated my opinion.

It is of no moment to me if my opinion is accepted or not, and I am unable to alter my opinion in the physical absence of the keris itself.

I've already given a lot of my time to this thread, and the thread as it has developed has diverged into matters that really do not interest me in even the slightest degree.