Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 13th August 2018, 05:24 AM   #1
sabertasche

Default 1845 Patent Hilt Infantry Officer's Sword - 1890, Wilkinson

Hi all, just back from the local gun show and I'me very happy to add this magnificent Wilkinson's Patent hilt infantry officer's sword to my collection. I focus on 1822 - 1898 Infantry Officer's sword's and this swords is a great fit for me. The sword number is 30076, the blade having an armorial effigy of a Rabbit holding a flower and the initials are CBW . The hilt is a coppery colour which looks fantastic compared to the brass scabbard. According to Matt Easton's great article, this sword's number dates to 1890 and may have seen Boer War service. Although a battle blade, it appears to not have been sharpened, the blade and sword are pretty close to mint. I look forward to finding out more about its original owner.

Cheers,

Greg

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/antiqu...s-uk/research/
Attached Images

sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 04:45 PM   #2
sabertasche

Here are some images of the complete sword. If there is a question about Wilkinson swords, it is why are Patent Hilt swords special? The answer is that they comprised less than 2% production and were much more expensive than the typical production. While all blades were tested to be battle worthy, Patent hilt swords had a full-tang construction and built to a higher level of craftsmanship.

G
Attached Images

Old 1st September 2018, 02:59 PM   #3
sabertasche

Hi all, an update on the original owner of this sword. William Bicknell Coney, Major in the Sherwood Foresters Feb 14, 1890. William Bicknell Coney was Christened 25 Feb 1857 at Salcombe, Regis, Devon. His parents were William John and Mary Anne Coney. He married Laetitia Anne Addington on 7 January 1880 at Exeter, Devon. Lieutenant 11 February 1875, Capt. 1 April 1882 and Major 14 February 1890. He was still living at the time of the 1911 Census and he is listed as Retired Major, Half Pay. Recipient of the Egypt medal and Khedive Star.

I'm very happy friends on FB were able to track him down for me.
Old 1st September 2018, 09:34 PM   #4
M ELEY

A beautiful sword and awesome that you have the owner's background and info. Thanks for sharing this piece!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote