Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th August 2023, 07:02 PM   #1
ASPaulding

Default My first Keris for comment

Hello everybody, I have finally got my first Keris to post. May I get some information or opinions from some experts? I believe it is Madura dress. I'm particularly curious if the blade is Madura as well and how old it may be. Lastly I would like suggestions on a good starter book to study. There are so many different variations as well as terminology I would like to learn. Thank you for your time.
Attached Images

ASPaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2023, 11:59 PM   #2
kai

Welcome among the doomed - be aware that keris are addictive...

This type of Madurese fittings often comes with subpar blades. This blade is quite decent though! It certainly has some genuine age - IMHO 19th century or older (not of higher quality nor in good shape of preservation which makes reading this blade pretty tough).

Anyway, a really decent first keris!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2023, 03:46 AM   #3
ASPaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Welcome among the doomed - be aware that keris are addictive...

This type of Madurese fittings often comes with subpar blades. This blade is quite decent though! It certainly has some genuine age - IMHO 19th century or older (not of higher quality nor in good shape of preservation which makes reading this blade pretty tough).

Anyway, a really decent first keris!

Regards,
Kai
Thank you, Kai. I don't even know what you mean by reading the blade. I'm assuming small details that can give you origin, age and maybe material. I have gained access to a few books. I will study them a bit so I can have a decent conversation about what seems to be a rabbit hole.
Old 12th August 2023, 04:14 AM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I suspect the rabbit hole entrance may be found somewhere in the Warung archives.

For starters might I suggest a read of The World of the Javanese Keris by Garret and Bronwen Solyum.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2023, 05:22 AM   #5
ASPaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I suspect the rabbit hole entrance may be found somewhere in the Warung archives.

For starters might I suggest a read of The World of the Javanese Keris by Garret and Bronwen Solyum.
Thank you, Rick. I have actually seen that book online recently. I will try to find it again.