Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st January 2016, 12:50 PM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Exclamation Palembang by default

As chance would have it, I have now an interesting grouping of Palembang Parang...the size and variation was virtually unknown to me previously as they are not a weapon often spoken of, seen, collected or written about. I am sure there are many out there just being neglected.

Below are a group of three, from the smaller size that I would consider ritual, perhaps for betal nut, a mid sized that could also be ceremonial but of a size and weight that could be very useful and the larger one with a scabbard, being of an unusual blade form and a very formidable weapon and a very rare and seldom seen of known of scabbard.

I hope you find the mix as interesting as I do.

Gavin
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Miguel

Hello Gavin, l would like to thank you for sharing these items as I do not recall ever seeing one before and cant really understand why as they look such a useful, well made and decorative all round weapon, I do hope that other members who have them will share theirs also. Thanks again.
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 05:29 PM   #3
CharlesS

Gavin,

I have seen the smaller two sizes, but never anything like the largest one. Most interesting!

Does it have a heavier and more business-like blade than typically seen on the smaller ones?

Thanks for posting.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 08:25 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thanks for posting this Gavin. Like Charles, I've not seen the bigger one before. Great example!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2016, 09:20 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Gavin,

I have seen the smaller two sizes, but never anything like the largest one. Most interesting!

Does it have a heavier and more business-like blade than typically seen on the smaller ones?

Thanks for posting.
Gentlemen,

Than you for the comments.

The large one is all business with a very sharp blade.
It is 68.5cms long out of the scabbard, a scabbard which I suspect is early 20th century construction and being of original native form when compared to other sword types from the region published in Holstein.
It will remain uncleaned for quite some time but at face value I do not see the same pamor construction as the smaller two, more like a very good Sanmei of similar construction with a very hard cutting edge....a proper clean may reveal a fine pattern welded surface like other Palembang sword types...
Its spine is fully inlaid the entire length and the tip is very unusual.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello Gavin,

nice set of different sizes! I am as well can't remember to have seen such a large one. Please show them again when the blades are cleaned and etched.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote