Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th December 2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Jussi M.

Default Size matters!

It does!

Getting back on track again could you tell what size do you prefer on a keris and reasons why?

Thanks,

J.
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

That is a personal matter That depends on the keris. I have keris ranging in size from an inch to 24 inches.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 08:25 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Every size has it's place and it's purpose.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Might be more a question of hardness, oopps this thread was begging for it . I did try to tame my thoughts. Anything over 9 inches would be intimidating I should think.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 09:29 PM   #5
asomotif

I have one keris blade sized 18 inches (without peksi)
Funny enough this is the only keris my wife tells me to keep in the collection
Size does not really matter.
It is more the feeling that you get (holding the keris)
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Jussi M.

Ok, Ok...

Maybe I should have chosen another pic

Nevertheless I would like to hear your opinion on why the size varies so much between different kerises and what would you see as the optimal size and why?

Thanks,

J
Old 20th December 2008, 01:35 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi M.
Nevertheless I would like to hear your opinion on why the size varies so much between different kerises and what would you see as the optimal size and why?
Jussi, i do not believe there is such a thing as an optimal size for a keris. There are many measuring methods that are supposed to determine if a keris might be right for a certain person, based on the length of parts of the body, but even these don't determine a set size.
Old 20th December 2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Jussi M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Jussi, i do not believe there is such a thing as an optimal size for a keris. There are many measuring methods that are supposed to determine if a keris might be right for a certain person, based on the length of parts of the body, but even these don't determine a set size.
David,

I am not after any exact size but exactly what you are talking about. Info?

J
Old 20th December 2008, 03:59 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Just one example Jussi. Test by means of thumbs from A.H. Hill's chapter in Keris and Other Malay Weapons:

"Hold the keris towards you. Grasp the blade with the right thumb and forefinger just above the ganja. Place the left thumb alongside it, then the right and so work up the blade until the tip is reached. It is lucky if the last thumb width is the measure needed to reach exactly the extreme point. Several sequences of special words have been recorded, the omens then depending on the number of thumb widths needed to reach the end. Less than a thumb width counts as one full width, and as before the omen is taken from the last word uttered."

Of course this method does not determine whether your keris should be large or small necessarily as a good omen word can fall on various lengths. It also works deferently with different people since everyones thumb widths will be slightly different so it is meant as a way to determine whether a particular keris is right for a particular person.
Size of keris is also goinfg to vary dependent upon the exact culture it comes from. In Bali keris tended towards a longer and more robust form.
There are just too many variables to make any definitive statement on what is the optimal size for a keris.
Old 20th December 2008, 11:46 PM   #10
tunggulametung

Generally the length of most kalis and keris panjang might be the ideal maximum measurement. The longer it will be difficult to balanced.
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 03:48 AM   #11
PenangsangII

depending on the size of the wielder, if a keris is to be used for fighting close quarter, according to "petua" of malay pendekars, the blade from ganja to tip should be measured between the bearers 2 tits - usually between 9-11 inches. Longer than that is considered quite intimidating, but actually cumbersome during fights
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote