Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd June 2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Nonoy Tan

Default Planning for your collection

Here is a thought provoking issue...

I am certain that each one of us have personal reasons why we collect ethnographic weapons. These reasons may vary widely with each individual. On the other hand, it is a common fact that these ethnographic pieces will likely outlive the collector.

I wonder if many of us have seriously considered the future of the pieces we own.

Have you ever wondered if they will continue to be cherised after your lifetime? Do you fear that they will be neglected in the future?

What are some of the "best practice" succession plans around (if there is any)?
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Valjhun

To make sure, that a fellow forumite inherits your collection... It would be a hard choice... but... I'm still young...

Last edited by Valjhun; 24th June 2008 at 01:47 AM.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Nonoy Tan

Nice suggestion, Valjhun Has there been a precedent on this?

By the way, present youth does not guarantee immortality (nor a longer life) Thus, young collectors are not exempted from facing the issue. The irony is that the implementation of a succession plan may be better started when one is still in his/her youth - the time when one least thinks about the issue
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 01:59 PM   #4
OAKSP

Why to worry ?

Most of our appreciate items have come to us because the person who collected and loved them for years passed away, and their family did not appreciate as well as him what they had now.

I am sure that probably my collection items will go to a good home, do not know wich way, maybe various ways, but to a good home, same as me...

I know old men that leave instrucctions to their children about the value of each item.

Regards.
OAKSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

My son has an interest in some of my Indo Persian pieces and my club collection. Some I will donate to some local universities and maybe if the Smithsonian is lucky they will get a piece or two and the rest will be sold off.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Royston

It's an interesting thought isn't it ?

No one in my family shows an interest although it has been suggested that I take them with me for a couple of reasons:-
1. They take up too much space in the house.
2. I will probably need them where I am going

Whatever happens to them, I hope the new owner or owners enjoys them as much as I have.

Royston
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 04:02 PM   #7
chevalier

i think ill be buried with my favorite peice
chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 04:43 PM   #8
ward

except for a few pieces my daughter wants the rest will be sold off. Be careful about donating to museums. If the pieces do not fit into their collection they will sell them off.This is a pretty common practice
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
2. I will probably need them where I am going
Royston

ROTFLMAO!!! Me Too!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 12:28 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

I have a good friend, now in his 80's, who has collected since he was in his early twenties. His collection is perhaps the most comprehensive Eastern edged weapon collection of which I am aware. His will states that the entire collection is to be auctioned exclusively for purchase by Australian collectors.

I am currently approaching 70. I intend to gradually decrease the size of my collection during the coming years. The items left at my decease will be left to my heirs with instructions on how best to dispose of them. Several items in my collection are possibly too important to be sold to the highest bidder; these items pose a considerable problem that I am still thinking about.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 03:49 AM   #11
silverclaws

I wonder if there might come a time these things might be needed again.
silverclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 05:02 AM   #12
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I have a good friend, now in his 80's, who has collected since he was in his early twenties. His collection is perhaps the most comprehensive Eastern edged weapon collection of which I am aware. His will states that the entire collection is to be auctioned exclusively for purchase by Australian collectors.

I am currently approaching 70. I intend to gradually decrease the size of my collection during the coming years. The items left at my decease will be left to my heirs with instructions on how best to dispose of them. Several items in my collection are possibly too important to be sold to the highest bidder; these items pose a considerable problem that I am still thinking about.
Aren't swords restricted in Australia?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 05:21 AM   #13
A. G. Maisey

In Australia, legislation in respect of edged weapons is for the most part , state based legislation, not Commonwealth based legislation.

In some states there are restrictions on ownership of some edged weapons, in other states there are different restrictions.

I and my friend both live in NSW; currently ownership of swords is not prohibited in that state, however, there are expectations that this situation could change in the near future.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 07:41 AM   #14
kahnjar1

Smile SEND THEM HERE----PLEEEESE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
In Australia, legislation in respect of edged weapons is for the most part , state based legislation, not Commonwealth based legislation.

In some states there are restrictions on ownership of some edged weapons, in other states there are different restrictions.

I and my friend both live in NSW; currently ownership of swords is not prohibited in that state, however, there are expectations that this situation could change in the near future.
Luckily we in New Zealand don't have a problem with edged weapons and are not likely to have in the foreseeable future! We would be REAL HAPPY to look after these for you!
Seriously though, the thoughts on disposal of ones collection are well to the forefront of collectors minds here also. If you are a member of an organisation such as the NZ Antique Arms Assn, then specify in your Will, disposal thru one of their auctions or, if you have a fellow collector YOU CAN TRUST, then assign the disposal to him/her. We hear of too many items which due to ignorance or disinterest, are just dumped, though happily this practice is getting less and less.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote