Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st March 2024, 03:00 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Illegal balisong

This knife is technically illegal in the UK. It is nicely made, brass an horn decorated wings, copper latch with a little stamped decoration on the blade. Do members have any large ones that are not the modern type, sure you know what I mean?
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2024, 06:29 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Traditional Balisong

Filipino made.
Traditional construction.
Modern blade shapes can vary. This pattern, I was told, was inspired by Rambo.
Ten and three quarters inches long opened; five and three quarters long closed.

This is a heavy, hefty knife.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2024, 07:10 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
This knife is technically illegal in the UK. It is nicely made, brass an horn decorated wings, copper latch with a little stamped decoration on the blade. Do members have any large ones that are not the modern type, sure you know what I mean?
Hello Tim,

Did you notice any marks at the base of the blade? It looks very German, I own two similar ones, see pictures. They were made in the early 1900s in Solingen. Also in Germany are balisongs forbidden but not ones where the blade is short like yours. In Germany you can own them when the blade isn't over 41 mm.
The shown one is marked with "Leykauf", the other side isn't readable anymore.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 22nd March 2024 at 01:39 AM. Reason: add info
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2024, 10:14 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I have seen in the past examples of French manufacture. It would be interesting to know what culture 'invented' this style of knife.
Old 21st March 2024, 11:11 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I have seen in the past examples of French manufacture. It would be interesting to know what culture 'invented' this style of knife.
Hello Rick,

It isn't really clear where the first balisongs originate but to my knowledge they were made first in France.
Here we can read what google says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_knife

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 21st March 2024 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 21st March 2024, 11:18 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
When members from countries where these knives are forbidden they won't show their examples for some reasons.
So far I know there are States in the USA where they are forbidden as well. Maybe Rick can confirm!?

Regards,
Detlef
Old 22nd March 2024, 01:24 AM   #7
wildwolberine

Adding my balisong here. I can report butterfly knives are legal to own, but not legal to carry, in my municipality (San Antonio, TX). We have a lot of odd knife laws dating back to anti-gang hysteria in the 1940s-1950s. I believe many laws banning switchblades etc. were based on fears of Hispanic street gangs/crime. (Correction: no longer true as of 2012, balis are no longer prohibited in most cases if under 5.5 inches)

Anyway, this is a 1970s-1980s bali collected by a vet stationed at Clark AFB, purchased from widow. Double edged, black synthetic scales (I don’t believe it’s horn), brass fittings. Obviously handmade (the bevel is off near the tip).
Attached Images

Last edited by wildwolberine; 22nd March 2024 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Correction
wildwolberine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2024, 02:44 AM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Default I Know We're Going OT Here

Nice example WW!
I collect Italian switchblades among other things. I'm no lawyer; but in my state you may own or possess an auto knife or a balisong; you cannot carry it; yet if I recall correctly federal law prohibits the shipping of these items through the US mail and you cannot purchase one in my state unless you are one-handed, a member of law enforcement or in the military. Other states in the union have different regulations about autos/balisongs, I believe some also allow you to carry even though shipping via US post still is forbidden by law.
The interpretation of these laws tend to be in a very grey area. I believe that if US customs find one coming into the US it will be confiscated.
That's about all I'm willing to say on the subject as it is here in the states.

Vintage Italian (pre 1958) switchblades like the eleven inch picklock pictured below, and pre-ban US and other examples are highly sought after by American collectors.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 23rd March 2024 at 02:12 AM. Reason: is
Old 22nd March 2024, 09:05 AM   #9
chmorshuutz

Hello. All recent samples from Taal, Batangas. The long one is called "busese", apparently an old profile, balisong makes don't make it as often nowadays. Then there's also a "pen balisong" which is also getting scarce.

As far as I know, the typical profiles were "dahong palay","tari","debuyod", "kris" and "labaha". While "rambo", "kampilan", "ginunting", etc. only started recently.
Attached Images

chmorshuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2024, 01:59 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Very cool. I would love to have a switch blade.
Old 23rd March 2024, 01:48 AM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Australia allows genuine collectors with the relevant license from a police commissioner to import and possess balisong, switchblades, and a wide variety of other prohibited weapons. However, the threshold for approval is high and requires a police check. Such items are not allowed to be carried and there are requirements about how they are stored.

I have such a license and have had to use it to import some items, most recently a dagger, lohar axe, African axes, and swords. With respect to importing weapons, it depends on the shipping method. For inexpensive items coming through regular mail the likelihood of moving through Australian Customs without question is greatly increased. With shipping companies, such as DHL, similar items are usually subject to full Customs inspection (which is how DHL and other shippers generate much of their high costs charged to the shipper).
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2024, 02:42 AM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Right now, I think the most traditional, affordable hand made from scratch switchblades come from Sardinia and start at very near 1K American and on up. Most are made on a per order basis and the workmanship is impeccable; they are of the picklock design which is possibly one of the oldest forms of locking blade along with the Navaja.
If I recall correctly switchblades have been around since at least the American Civil War era. Some of the true antiques are beautiful examples of the Cutlers' art.
Many very nice antique ones came from England.
I carried a modern one in my toolbox with a Tanto style blade when I was doing exterior painting on old houses because if there is a chunk of built-up paint at the limit of your reach thirty feet in the air on an extension ladder an auto knife comes in very handy indeed.
Old 23rd March 2024, 02:50 AM   #13
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Australia allows genuine collectors with the relevant license from a police commissioner to import and possess balisong, switchblades, and a wide variety of other prohibited weapons. However, the threshold for approval is high and requires a police check. Such items are not allowed to be carried and there are requirements about how they are stored.

I have such a license and have had to use it to import some items, most recently a dagger, lohar axe, African axes, and swords. With respect to importing weapons, it depends on the shipping method. For inexpensive items coming through regular mail the likelihood of moving through Australian Customs without question is greatly increased. With shipping companies, such as DHL, similar items are usually subject to full Customs inspection (which is how DHL and other shippers generate much of their high costs charged to the shipper).
Ian, how does one become a govt recognized 'genuine collector' in OZ?
Old 23rd March 2024, 08:38 AM   #14
mariusgmioc

You may want to check:

balisong.com
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2024, 11:47 AM   #15
Tim Simmons

It is illegal to import to the UK.
Old 23rd March 2024, 01:10 PM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Right now, I think the most traditional, affordable hand made from scratch switchblades come from Sardinia and start at very near 1K American and on up. Most are made on a per order basis and the workmanship is impeccable; they are of the picklock design which is possibly one of the oldest forms of locking blade along with the Navaja.
If I recall correctly switchblades have been around since at least the American Civil War era. Some of the true antiques are beautiful examples of the Cutlers' art.
Many very nice antique ones came from England.
I carried a modern one in my toolbox with a Tanto style blade when I was doing exterior painting on old houses because if there is a chunk of built-up paint at the limit of your reach thirty feet in the air on an extension ladder an auto knife comes in very handy indeed.
Don't forget the German switchblades, the workmanship is better than the Italian switchblades IMO.
Two of my German ones and down German ones in Italian style.
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2024, 03:07 AM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool Are We Trespassing in the Present Time?

What maker is the one at the top?
Is that a Herbertz(sp?) pictured at the bottom?
You need to add a Hubertus to that collection Detlef.
Not to mention a Robert Klaas kissing crane.
Old 29th March 2024, 03:27 AM   #18
Bob A

There has been much court action in the US of late regarding repressive knife laws; I believe balisongs/butterfly knives have been legalised in Hawaii lately.

For those interested, a link to an organisation that monitors such things:
https://www.akti.org/

I have recently become enamored of automatic knives, and now have too many. I find some of them to be very useful; having a decent blade that can be accessed and withdrawn with one hand is essential for some handicapped persons, as well as the common run of mankind. My current favorites are those whose blades are driven out the front of the handle; the nature of the mechanism makes them extremely safe to carry, and the action is such that exercising it for its own sake is a constant source of amusement.

There are many that are in fact veritable works of art; exotic materials, artful blade architecture, and machining to extreme tolerances. It's a shame that such objects are subject to restrictions, but governments always seek increased control, often to the detriment of common sense, as well as to the citizen/subject.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2024, 09:34 AM   #19
Sajen

Quote:
What maker is the one at the top?
Is that a Herbertz(sp?) pictured at the bottom?
You need to add a Hubertus to that collection Detlef.
Not to mention a Robert Klaas kissing crane.
Hello Rick,

The one on top is a Weltersbach Weidmannsheil. And I have also a Robert Klaas in the collection.
And yes, at the bottom is Herbertz.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 25th April 2024, 12:16 PM   #20
Hombre

Batangas made by the master Mr Diosdado Ona!
Attached Images

Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2024, 03:40 PM   #21
werecow

Quote:
Nice example WW!
I collect Italian switchblades among other things. I'm no lawyer; but in my state you may own or possess an auto knife or a balisong; you cannot carry it; yet if I recall correctly federal law prohibits the shipping of these items through the US mail and you cannot purchase one in my state unless you are one-handed, a member of law enforcement or in the military. Other states in the union have different regulations about autos/balisongs, I believe some also allow you to carry even though shipping via US post still is forbidden by law.
The interpretation of these laws tend to be in a very grey area. I believe that if US customs find one coming into the US it will be confiscated.
That's about all I'm willing to say on the subject as it is here in the states.

Vintage Italian (pre 1958) switchblades like the eleven inch picklock pictured below, and pre-ban US and other examples are highly sought after by American collectors.
When I was ten I had a sword-like-object collection with a friend of mine. His dad had one of these switchblades and it was one of the most alluring things I'd ever seen. In my mind the little "cross guard" made it basically a tiny sword. It only became more intriguing when he told me it was technically illegal.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2024, 04:29 PM   #22
Bob A

It might be of some interest to our US posters to know about the existence of the American Knife and Tool Institute (AKTI). They take an interest in providing legal and other information regarding knife laws.

https://www.akti.org/

I fear that some members in other nations may soon be required to register such dangerous objects as forks. (Think "close-range multi-spear." The horror!).
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote