Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th December 2015, 09:32 PM   #1
Shakethetrees

Default Kukri restoration

This came right out a sealed footlocker of a GI who was stationed in India during WWII.

The grip was loose and so eaten up it pulled loose when I tried to withdraw it from the sheath!

Since the friend who was his Uncle's Executor had sentimental attachment to it he asked me to see what I could do.

Thanks to Battera, I got a piece of water buffalo horn of suitable size and began whittling it to size and shape. I had to make a few allowances here and there because the horn was not quite wide enough, and had to salvage the tip and use it to splice in in a couple of places to remedy this best I could.

I even used the powder from rasping to fill in several voids and along an exposed internal cleavage.

The blade was cleaned the old fashioned way: a lot of elbow grease and successive grits of oilstone, and finally fine paper generously lubricated with fine oil.

Here are a couple of before and after shots.

All comments welcome.
Attached Images

Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 09:53 PM   #2
drac2k

Fantastic job! It seems like the spine of yours has some hammering marks;all of the real, good, honest working ones that I've seen have those same marks.I guess they used them for everything from fighting to pounding in tent stakes !
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 01:59 AM   #3
Shakethetrees

...or slaughtering food for dinner, firewood, etc.!
Old 28th December 2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Ken Maddock

Nice work, well done
A few questions if I may.
Can you tell me what it is like to work with buffalo horn
Is it reasonably hard to work with? Do you use rasps or chisels
Nice splicing of parts, what glue did you use
I am Well impressed with your work
Keep well
Ken
Ken Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 11:16 AM   #5
mrcjgscott

A wonderful job bringing this old warhorse back to life.

A typical private purchase kukri circa 1944 onwards, probably made in Darjeeling and sold in the markets and bazaars of India, wherever there were soldiers to sell them to.

The sheath and frog (which appears to be on backwards) seems to have held up well, considering the state of the original hilt. Was there anything in the khissa pouch?

Thanks for showing this piece.

Chris
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 07:35 PM   #6
rickystl

WOW! The worms really attacked that handle.
What a GREAT restoration. Congratulations!!
While I don't know the exact history and specifics of the Kukri, I can attest to it's usefulness having carried one afield for many years during camping and hunting trips. You have to actually use a Kukri to appreciate why it was so popular for so many decades.
Again, super nice restoration!!
Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 01:41 AM   #7
Shakethetrees

Thanks to everyone who has given me a "thumbs up" on this project! It was a real challenge. My usual restorations are American and European silver, bronzes, decorative metalwork (for lack of a better catch-all term!)- in short, anything interesting and lucrative.

Ethnic weapons, in particular, are a real challenge, in that, in order to get the job "right", a certain look must be preserved, using techniques and materials that are not routinely used in my work.

The most important thing is to know exactly where you should wind up when the piece is finished. Next, a deep understanding of every type of material used. If during restoration a situation comes up where modern materials or processes are the only option, you have to be able to cover your tracks perfectly.

Nothing is worse for a collector than to open the package and see epoxy, modern string replacing hand made string or rattan, etc. we've all been there.

If I had to make a living doing kukris like this, I'd be in the poorhouse really quickly. I did this because it belonged to a good friend and for the challenge.

It was a lot of fun just to see the look on his face when I unwrapped it and pulled it out.

Now I have to try to find time to finish up some of my own blades and old guns.

I have a barung I started months ago sitting in line. The work is almost done, except for some carving on the tip of the scabbard. I am confident I can do it, but I want to develop a better "feel" for the layout I need to come up with.

European/western decorative motifs, no prob. Not growing up with an Indian, Philippine, or Sudanese sense of aesthetic design stretches the limits of my comfort zone sometime!
Old 29th December 2015, 02:12 PM   #8
Kubur

Very nice you are definitively the viollet le duc of the forum!
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Shakethetrees

I am humbled by your words, sir.

Thank you!