Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th July 2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Rafngard

Default A badek or a pisau?

Hello All,

Another recently acquired piece. I only just had the chance to take photos of. I'm not sure if Badek/bade bade, or Pisau is a better term for this, as I understand it, pisau is a fairly generic term, but despite the blade that seems to be entire of pamor material, I usually think of more of a pistol grip with badek, though the handle is unidirectional (if only just barely). I suspect it's from Java, or perhaps Sulawesi, but this is at best a guess.

I am absolutely in love with the blade, which seems well forged, and has clearly seen a lot of ritual washings. I think it's probably older than the rest of the ensemble, and was perhaps someone's family blade (is tosan aji the right term?). It smelled strongly of frankincense when I got it, and I suspect it was once "fed" regularly.

While I think the handle, scabbard, and fittings are younger, I they are still lovely. I suspect the fittings are silver, and engraving (is okir an appropriate term?) is lovely).

Any thoughts (particularly on age), comments, or corrections would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Rafngard

Default More pics

More focus on the blade.

Also, the blade has been cleaned and oiled subsequent to these pics. Most if not all of the bits that look troubling here, look less so now.

Thanks,
Leif
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Leif,

very well described byself. I think as well that it is a very old badik blade from the Bugis in much younger but well crafted fittings. Very nice piece.

Here you will find maybe similar shaped blades but not all fresh stained like yours.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 07:35 PM   #4
Rafngard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
very well described byself. I think as well that it is a very old badik blade from the Bugis in much younger but well crafted fittings. Very nice piece.
Thank you very much for your kind words.
Any thoughts or estimates on what "very old" might mean in terms of years?

Thanks,
Leif
Old 24th July 2016, 07:53 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafngard
Thank you very much for your kind words.
Any thoughts or estimates on what "very old" might mean in terms of years?
I am very careful by estimate ages of blades, special when not anymore in it's original fittings. But your blade seems many times ritual cleaned and well cared. Wild and rough guess would be 19th century.
Some very nice old pusaka badiks are shown in "Senjata Pusaka Bugis".

Best regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 12:24 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

This is badik blade that has been redressed in Solo, Central Jawa.

The blade is probably 19th century.

The locket & chape are silver, hand engraved, the wood in the fittings is Javanese sandalwood. These fittings are of premium quality.

The smell is not frankincense, it is sandalwood oil.

In Solo, this would be termed a cundrik.

EDIT:- the wood may not be Javanese sandalwood, but rather scented sandalwood, it would be unusual to include a knot in a scabbard made of Javanese sandalwood, but it would not be unusual in a scabbard made of scented sandalwood. In finished condition both woods look very similar, and this is premium quality craftsmanship, in which case it would be more likely that scented sandalwood was used.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 25th July 2016 at 11:27 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote