Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th May 2014, 02:29 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default African powder horn with Arab influence ?

Here is a recent acquisition - an old powder horn probably from East-Central Africa, (Malawi/Nyasaland area). Its of interest particularly for what I think to be Arab or Swahili influences - as illustrated by the faceted carving to the horn, stamped decoration to the leather and the brass buckle.

The use of pouches with thong closures, is also atypical for purely sub-Saharan work.

Comments are welcome, also any references. If anyone has comparable examples do please post them.

Regards.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 08:01 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Hi Colin,
I can not comment on the flask itself, but the belt buckle is VERY similar to those on Khanjar belts from Oman, so possible Arab influence seems likely as you suggest.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 02:48 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Colin,
I can not comment on the flask itself, but the belt buckle is VERY similar to those on Khanjar belts from Oman, so possible Arab influence seems likely as you suggest.
Stu
Hi again Colin. Have been thinking that the whole belt may possibly be of Arabian origin and the horn later attached??? Not only is the buckle typically Omani, but the thong fastening of the pouch also appears there. I have a cartridge belt (pic attached) showing the buckle and thong fastener of the pouch. The decoration of your belt would not be out of place either.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 07:51 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

In the old days the master belt buckle makers used cuttle fish shells in which to mold the buckles..see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=CUTTLE+FISH

Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 6th May 2014 at 08:02 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 10:03 AM   #5
colin henshaw

Thanks to Stu and Ibrahiim for their posts. Omani influence (or even manufacture ?) seem quite likely, given the Omani presence in Zanzibar and the East African coast, at the time.

There are a few comparable examples on the National Museums Scotland website, one with a similar leather belt assemblage. Perhaps they were made in Zanzibar by Arab craftsmen ??

I am slightly puzzled by the large wooden stopper - it seems cumbersome; any ideas for this ? The faceted profile to the horn is similar to that found on iron spearheads from Somaliland/Somalia.

Regards.
Old 7th May 2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Thanks to Stu and Ibrahiim for their posts. Omani influence (or even manufacture ?) seem quite likely, given the Omani presence in Zanzibar and the East African coast, at the time.

There are a few comparable examples on the National Museums Scotland website, one with a similar leather belt assemblage. Perhaps they were made in Zanzibar by Arab craftsmen ??

I am slightly puzzled by the large wooden stopper - it seems cumbersome; any ideas for this ? The faceted profile to the horn is similar to that found on iron spearheads from Somaliland/Somalia.

Regards.
Salaams Colin, I go more with the idea of African craftsmanship in Zanzibar..although many people ended up working there including from Malibar and Persia.. The item looks more African to me. The wooden bung looks African . As you point out ...influence from Arabian style is bound to be apparent because of earlier Omani involvement.

It also depends on what is meant by Zanzibar...see # 80 at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...nzibari+swords

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 7th May 2014 at 06:46 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 05:17 PM   #7
colin henshaw

Was browsing some old images I had taken at the Tervuren (Belgium), "Royal Museum for Central Africa", a few years ago - they had some vitrines with 19th century material from Arab slavers/traders who had penetrated as far as the Congo area. This powder horn is included, which although made of ivory, seems to have a similar form to the one I posted.

For academic interest for those who study this type of material...
Attached Images