Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th October 2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Dagger display ideas :(

Have too many and can't display them (on shelves looks pants anyway!)

So! Question is how do you display your daggers and knives, and can you post some pictures to 'inspire me'?

I'm a dab hand with woodwork so thats no problem!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Atlantia

OK, so here's what I mean.
Swords etc = no problem.

Daggers etc......??????

I'm going to throw a few on the block to make way for others I want, but the question is how to display the remainder?
Do you guys favour a fan, or rack, or what?
In scabbards or out?

Edit: Yeah, I know its a small collection. Its but a fraction of the 'overal theme' and I want to integrate it better!

(Guns next LOL)

Last edited by Atlantia; 6th October 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 7th October 2010, 01:36 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ATTACH OLD FILES, SO WILL ONLY GIVE POST INFO AND YOU CAN FIND THEM USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

1.POST( DISPLAYING YOUR COLLECTION)POSTED 7/21/2009 BY KAHNIARL

2. (WEAPON DISPLAYS) 11/03/2005 BY VANDOO

THERE ARE OTHER GOOD POSTS BUT THESE TWO SHOULD GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Actually they do make wall display holder for daggers too.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Sajen

Here two example how I display my daggers, very simple with two or three nails.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Berkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
can you post some pictures to 'inspire me'?
Not mine, alas, but inspirational:
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Dmitry

This is how I display [or rather not display] some of my naval dirks, in an old machinist's tool chest.
Keeps the kids at bay, and saves space.
Attached Images

Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 11:42 PM   #8
Ron Anderson

That's lovely, dmitry.

I use a modern toolbox like that. Not as decorative, but more secure. It locks.

Though you don't see the knives, there's something nice about opening up the box to reveal the contents. It's like unlocking treasure.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Emanuel

Hi Gene,

I use neodymium magnets to hold my daggers up.

The toolbox is a nice idea though. Right now I store what I can't display in a large trunk.

Emanuel
Attached Images

Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 02:12 AM   #10
kahnjar1

Hi Gene, Sorry for delay in reply, but as promised my 2c worth.
I guess that each collector has his own preferences/dislikes in respect of display racks. Personally I do not like racks unless they are made of perspex, as I feel that they detract from what is being displayed. Also I am not keen on nails as they tend not to be secure enough to stop items falling off. Also unless sleeved with neoprene tube they can scratch what is being held.
My personal preference is screw hooks of the right shape and size, sleeved with neoprene (or already covered with plastic). These are very secure (as I found with our recent 7.1 earthquake, as not a single item fell off), and will not scratch items being displayed. Also it is very easy to lift items off for closer examination should one need to.
An excellent range can be found at your local hardware shop, and they are cheap.
Some pics showing various hooks etc that I use.
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 01:19 AM   #11
Mark

Here is how I display my dha hmyaung.
Attached Images

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 04:03 PM   #12
GuyM

Hello all,

I thought I'd post a couple pictures of the solution I found to display a collection of Kriss. Very easy to do and I find it visually pleasing.

The holding poles are made of aluminum tubes (16 mm diameter), and the claw is made of an aluminum strip (1.5 mm thick) shaped to form around the tube and riveted to itself.
Attached Images

GuyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Freddy

Arrow

I use old display cases. Years ago, these could be found in the municipal buildings (and also in police stations) in our city. They were used to display official papers.

Nowadays, no one uses them anymore and I was able to acquire them (for free ). Call it 'recycling' .

They are very well made and have some age. As they have glass doors, it keeps the dust away.

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:21 PM   #14
Nagawarrior

I use thin gauge gold wire. I wrap it around the piece and make a loop at the back. Than I use a picture hook to hang on wall. That way I can easily take it from the wall to discuss with a visitor. Here is my display. I'm a little embarrased by the way the paint job turned out. I tried to be creative. Oh and pictures help tell the story too.

-Stephen*
Attached Images

Nagawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 03:41 AM   #15
Battara
EAAF Staff

Stephen what great mannequins and what a great tatoo'd Bontoc shield! (grumble, grumble, envy, envy ).

Below are how I have displayed my humble toys:
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 01:38 PM   #16
Nagawarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Stephen what great mannequins and what a great tatoo'd Bontoc shield! (grumble, grumble, envy, envy ).

Below are how I have displayed my humble toys:
Thanks Jose.
I love what you have done, especially the use of textiles in your display. Mannequins add a nice dimension IMHO, as do textiles. I was banished to the extra bedroom for my "museam", good actually because its easy to secure and set up a alarm system.

-Stephen*
Nagawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 05:36 PM   #17
Maurice

Great Bontoc display with the shield, headaxe and the spears you have Stephen. Thank you for sharing!

Jose you have amazing displays! Really great!

I can only say I envy both of you.....envy.envy.envy......

Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 04:41 PM   #18
tom hyle

worth mentioning in regard to kris is that Indonesians have some traditional forms of holders. Often for a single kris this is a statue/idol that holds the sheathed sword in its hand. For multiple kris they tend to have a lower board the scabbard tips sit on and an upper board with holes thru it. (I use a very similar vintage test-tube rack for my collection of table knives) Always kris are stored point down.
I usually keep my pieces in their sheaths; bad things tend more to happen to the sheaths when they are seperated. There has been some mention of keeping sheaths in a drawer below the display. I once hung some swords on a wide board, and all thier sheaths in a pair of loose "shocks" (like corn) from the edges of the board. Currently I store my daggers and shorter swords in drawers, having been sensitized to burglary by being burgled in July (many old swords handled and examined, only a newer espading and a Pacific Cutlery tanto actually stolen, and they were laying on my bed; foolishness is good in the enemy.)
Traditionally storing arms on the wall is not just a way to display them, but a way to keep them available.
Just whatever you do, please, please, please don't drill holes thru the blades and attach them with screws
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 04:43 PM   #19
Dmitry

As an addendum to the conversation, I finally found what I was looking for to store my naval dirk collection, as well as various other smalls. It's an 1800s Eastlake style cabinet that I scored last week at a local antique auction. The size is perfect for me, the drawers are 43 cm x 58 cm. The cabinet is about 170 cm tall, and is extremely heavy, made of solid American oak. The build quality of this thing is amazing. It was probably custom-made to hold surgical instruments for a Victorian doctor.
I lined the drawers with green felt, and put little silica packets inside the drawers to absorb moisture. Once every 6 months these packets will have to be placed in the oven at about 200F to evaporate the moisture they would have acquired.
Attached Images

Old 24th September 2011, 06:14 PM   #20
Luc LEFEBVRE

I bought 2 like this one, cheap, not so nice as Dmitry but very practical on wheels.
Attached Images

Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 06:17 PM   #21
Nathaniel

Very nice Dmitry! Thanks for sharing
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 08:50 PM   #22
A.alnakkas

Hey Guys,

Am running into a problem the more Jambiya's I have! I like Stu's design very much but there is one thing that I generally avoid and that is putting nails on walls because if you wanted to change they leave bad marks :/

Tried those stuff (no idea what they are called) they basically hang on wall by sucktion but they fall eventually. Maybe some sort of display glass cupboards? hmm brain storming time.

Regards,

Abdullatif
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 11:23 PM   #23
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hey Guys,

Am running into a problem the more Jambiya's I have! I like Stu's design very much but there is one thing that I generally avoid and that is putting nails on walls because if you wanted to change they leave bad marks :/

Tried those stuff (no idea what they are called) they basically hang on wall by sucktion but they fall eventually. Maybe some sort of display glass cupboards? hmm brain storming time.

Regards,

Abdullatif
Hi Lofty,
My displays are mounted on another piece of board attached to the wall. If you need to take it away, then there are only the 4 mounting holes to fill.
No old holes showing either as the back board is covered with hessian, so any changes to layout are hidden by the fabric. I do NOT use nails but use screw hooks bent to suitable shape and covered with neoprene tube to avoid metal to metal contact. This method is VERY secure and has weathered all the earthquakes we have had recently without anything falling. Also they are easy to lift off if you need to.
Another member here has his extensive collection of Jambiya in glass shelved and fronted cupboards with back light in some. Looks absolutely marvelous and of course very easy to move stuff around as the pieces are not attached. I will not post the pics of this collection that I have, as it is up to that member to publish if he wishes.
Regards Stu
Old 25th September 2011, 04:02 AM   #24
Nathaniel

I was looking back through the thread and wondered Atlantia,sSo did you ever settle then on a dagger display solution?
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 12:03 PM   #25
GIO

Another solution. Maybe less spectacular, but it does not need magnets or nails....
Attached Images

GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 08:48 PM   #26
Greg

Some african stuff...
Attached Images

Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 10:24 PM   #27
DaveA

Talking Use plate holders

Here are some of my solutions for display.

For small daggers and knives, I've found that the racks intended for displaying collectible plates work pretty well. They have a slight angle and so they give better visibility to the knives on a shelf display. I also use clear single plate holders for some very narrow blades (not shown).

My keris are in traditional racks. I have one contemporary keris holder for my Bali keris that I like very much.

The cabinet containing the portion of my collection I have out for display is a curio cabinet with glass shelves and overhead lighting. It works great. I wish I had room in the house for two more

Swords are on top of bookcases in my home office and elsewhere in the house. (My kids refer to our house as "the armory"!)

Best regards
Attached Images

DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 10:49 PM   #28
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc LEFEBVRE
I bought 2 like this one, cheap, not so nice as Dmitry but very practical on wheels.
Yes, they do look practical. You can probably stack them on top of one another. Don't forget the silica packets to keep the humidity under control.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:38 AM   #29
kahnjar1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO
Another solution. Maybe less spectacular, but it does not need magnets or nails....
....that looks great!!! Racks in keeping with the weapons rather than just bare timber.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:23 AM   #30
Atlantia

Random individual display solutions using two different types of plate stand:
Attached Images