Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2016, 01:29 PM   #31
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
This is a perfect example of the same confusion. Even the one who wrote the description concedes this is a Persian blade, yet he identifies it EXCLUSIVELY by its hilt.

If this line of thougt is correct, then whatever sword bears a characteristic Indian disc-shaped pommel, is a Tulwar.
We are talking about kilij not tulwar. You and Alex can believe whatever you want, Dr. Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani is a well known author and authority on this subject, maybe you and Alex know something he does not?? This particular kilij is in Weapons of Warriors - Famous Antique Swords of the Near East.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 01:39 PM   #32
mariusgmioc

While I respect Dr. Khroasani's oppinion, I disagree with him on this one!

I believe it is the blade that should primarily define the type of the sword, and my previous example with the Tulwar hilt on many different swords clearly illustrates and substantiates my line of thought.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 01:41 PM   #33
estcrh

Quote:
While I respect Dr. Khroasani's oppinion, I disagree with him on this one!
You and Alex should stop embarassing yourselves, your opinions are not the only ones on this subject.
Old 30th March 2016, 01:45 PM   #34
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Alex you call it what you want, other people will do the same.
Estcrh, I am not calling anything because of what I want, please do not make such calls for others. on this note, I rest my case.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 01:47 PM   #35
mariusgmioc

Disagreeing and debating a subject is not embarasment but learning. And none of us, including Dr. Khorasani is the holder of the absolute truth.
Old 30th March 2016, 01:54 PM   #36
estcrh

Quote:
Disagreeing and debating a subject is not embarasment but learning. And none of us, including Dr. Khorasani is the holder of the absolute truth.
Both you and Alex do not appear to want to learn anything, I am simply pointing out that there are differing opinions on this subject, who can prove which opinion in correct. Terms do change over time and the internet has a lot to do with this, search engines need tag words in order to bring up text and images. Many collectors and dealers have used certain tag words and these are now part of the way certain weapons are described online, other people choose another method. What a weapon is called in its native country and language often has nothing to do with what it is called by English speaking collectors and dealers.
Old 30th March 2016, 01:56 PM   #37
kronckew

[QUOTE=estcrh]How authentic is this one? It is a cheap modern replica that is currently being sold online.

Link removed. Robert
yes, that's the one, not posted as an antique, just to add another transliteration of kilij/kilic in klych. this one IS cheap but looks fairly well made.
video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihbG...ature=youtu.be

might buy one to play with. can't afford an antique that i could be brutal with...

Last edited by Robert; 30th March 2016 at 06:49 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 01:57 PM   #38
estcrh

Quote:

I believe it is the blade that should primarily define the type of the sword
With some swords that is usually the case, with others as I have pointed out that is not always the case, there are exceptions.
Old 30th March 2016, 02:03 PM   #39
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
Estcrh, I am not calling anything because of what I want, please do not make such calls for others. on this note, I rest my case.
Alex, you are very knowledgable and I respect your opinion but sometimes you need to be more objective. As with "saif" there are people who have a different opinion on the term "kilij", there are certain reasons that this has come about.
Old 30th March 2016, 02:13 PM   #40
mariusgmioc

Quote:
As with "saif" there are people who have a different opinion on the term "kilij", there are certain reasons that this has come about.
Of course there might be certain reasons that this came about, but those reasons might not necessarily be correct.

Maybe you could care to explain what those reasons are so that even me and Alex could learn and understand?!

Maybe you, or anyone else can explain why the very same blade is called Shamshir whether it has the classic Persian hilt or the disc-shaped Indian Tulwar hilt, but it is called Kilij when it has the Turkish pistol-type hilt?!

For me, this is a classic example of inconsistency and lack of clear rules.

And as long as I don't have a better logical and argumented explanation, I would rather consider my oppinion to be better.

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 30th March 2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 30th March 2016, 04:32 PM   #41
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
It appears on Sassanid hilts, as illustrated below, and crops up on early Shamshirs. The Armouries Leeds has a nice one on display.

Beautifully caught David!!! Thank you so much
I knew I had seen it and thought perhaps on shamshirs but could not place it. I had totally forgotten these key Sassanid swords.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 04:54 PM   #42
ariel

The "blade vs. handle" question is a very old one. Not only individual opinions, but the entire schools of thought and countries took sides in this argument.

Polish school is perhaps the most famous one to put the handle on the pedestal:not only does it reflect the national character ( blades are often imported, taken as trophies etc, but they are mounted locally and the handles follow tribal and national fashion) , but in their opinion dictates the entire technique of sword-wielding. Tough to argue with that :-)

One can recall Yemeni jambias with identical blades but strictly local handles, and the amusing story by Gardner about changing attributions of krises ( same blade combined with different handles). Saudi, North Arabian and Persian "shamshirs" differ from each other by the angle of the pommel and ( less so) by the wire around the langet. Karabela is defined as such only when it sports an eagle-head handle. Yataghans can sport identical trade blades , but ethically-specific handles. And I am not even getting into a slew of Indonesian swords with similar blades but different handles.

On the other hand, Oakeshott's typology is based exclusively on the blade.

And Pesh Kabz differs from "Karud" mainly by the curvature of the blade, whereas "choora" differs from "karud" strictly by the handle.

I do not think we shall ever reach a compromise here :-)))
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 05:19 PM   #43
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
The "blade vs. handle" question is a very old one. Not only individual opinions, but the entire schools of thought and countries took sides in this argument.

Polish school is perhaps the most famous one to put the handle on the pedestal:not only does it reflect the national character ( blades are often imported, taken as trophies etc, but they are mounted locally and the handles follow tribal and national fashion) , but in their opinion dictates the entire technique of sword-wielding. Tough to argue with that :-)

One can recall Yemeni jambias with identical blades but strictly local handles

... but they still remain Jambias...

, and the amusing story by Gardner about changing attributions of krises ( same blade combined with different handles).

... but they still remain Kerises, whether Javanese or Buginese...

Saudi, North Arabian and Persian "shamshirs" differ from each other by the angle of the pommel and ( less so) by the wire around the langet.

... still remain Shamshirs... well, with the exception when they are sporting a Turkish hilt when they become Kilij... acording to some...

... Karabela is defined as such only when it sports an eagle-head handle.

... because the Karabela doesn't sport a characteristic blade (as they were fitted with Turkish Kilij blades, Russian sabre blades, German sabre blades, etc...

Yataghans can sport identical trade blades , but ethically-specific handles.

... yet remain Yataghans whether sporting large ear-shaped Balkanic bone hilts or sleek silver Greek hilts...

And I am not even getting into a slew of Indonesian swords with similar blades but different handles.

On the other hand, Oakeshott's typology is based exclusively on the blade.

And Pesh Kabz differs from "Karud"

... apparently Karud is an artificially created name, probably derived from the Persian Kard, an it is unknown to the people where that knife originates from...

mainly by the curvature of the blade, whereas "choora" differs from "karud" strictly by the handle.

... since the Choora is a particular type pf Pesh-kabz, he same way the Pala is a particular type of Kilij, sporting a wider blade...

I do not think we shall ever reach a compromise here :-)))
But that's the beauty of it, don't you think?! Debate, confrontation of ideas and exposing logical arguments are the source of wisdom and progress... and are more important even than reaching a compromise.

PS: I interposed some comments to your examples, in your posting.
Old 30th March 2016, 05:58 PM   #44
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Of course there might be certain reasons that this came about, but those reasons might not necessarily be correct.

Maybe you could care to explain what those reasons are so that even me and Alex could learn and understand?!

Maybe you, or anyone else can explain why the very same blade is called Shamshir whether it has the classic Persian hilt or the disc-shaped Indian Tulwar hilt, but it is called Kilij when it has the Turkish pistol-type hilt?!

For me, this is a classic example of inconsistency and lack of clear rules.

And as long as I don't have a better logical and argumented explanation, I would rather consider my oppinion to be better.

In your post #11, you posted a query asking what determines the name or classification for a sword type.
It is a fair question, as I indicated in my response in #13, and I thought I offered a fair explanation. Either you did not see it or did not consider it to be a valid perspective, so I can see you consider the opinions you dictate here as absolute yet at the same time you observe that none of us ( even DR. Khorasani) holds the 'absolute truth', which is of course fairly put.

Your statement does however seem perplexing as I am wondering how the dilemma of 'absolute truth' can be arrived at in discussing an entirely subjective phenomenon which is inherently varied through so many variables and circumstances.

I am in accord with your observation, 'discussing' does provide opportunities for learning , but would add as long as the participants are willing to keep open minds in evaluating exchanged data and views. Often only elements of one presentation might present acceptable alternative, while others might be more comprehensive with proper support. When dealing with opinions it becomes far more difficult, especially when regard for others engaged is less than pertinent.

I would offer here the words of Mr. Philip Rawson, who you might find as of standing as an acceptable authority,

"...with regard to the names here adopted for the different types of sword it must be said at once that they are to a large extent ARBITRARY. There prevails amongst ALL the authorities such an extraordinary confusion of nomenclature that I have been obliged to adopt a system based on a rough statistical estimate of the frequency of recorded applications. Some of the names could be said to mean 'sword' in general, if regard were paid to their every occurrence."

Here Rawson further notes that due to the fact that hilts are "...classified on basis of local distribution", therefore he uses the blades primarily in his classification.
"The Indian Sword", Philip Rawson, Copenhagen, 1967, p.vi. intro.

G,N. Pant in his "Indian Arms and Armour", Lahore, 1980, differs entirely with Rawson and notes numerous conflicts in terms etc. most notably using hilts to determine his classifications and terminology .

So it is throughout the corpus of literature on Indian arms as well as with similar confusion (as well noted by Rawson, op.cit) on many if not most ethnographic forms. Some weapons have many terms applied. I recall working on Indonesian weapon terminology, and was told by a well known author that in many cases the 'name of a weapon varied almost by villages.

In my post (#13), I noted the key words, 'it depends'....... and it seems that most authorities and seasoned collectors and scholars would agree, to the point of consensus, that this is the case with terminology.....there are no 'rules' which may be considered definitive.
Perhaps while holding to your own definitions, you might recognize that this dilemma is something most of us who have been studying these subjects many years well realize, and use qualifying measures rather than restrictive to refer to items in question.
Old 30th March 2016, 06:45 PM   #45
mariusgmioc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
In your post #11, you posted a query asking what determines the name or classification for a sword type.
It is a fair question, as I indicated in my response in #13, and I thought I offered a fair explanation. Either you did not see it or did not consider it to be a valid perspective, so I can see you consider the opinions you dictate here as absolute yet at the same time you observe that none of us ( even DR. Khorasani) holds the 'absolute truth', which is of course fairly put.
Yes Jim, I saw your reply at post #11 and as I fully agreed with it, I had nothing to add or ague against.

However, I continued to support my logic and asked for the logical explanation of the opposing idea, so I could learn something new, as I failed to see any consistent logic in naming the very same blade shamshir whether it bears a Persian or Indian hilt, and Kilij when it bears a Turkish hilt. And I simply find hard to accept the idea that a sword bears a name or another simply because somebody called it this way.

Now the rest of your comment (that I didn't quote) sheds much light on this subject as it offers a completely diferent perspective of the inconsistencies I observed. However, as a mechanical engineer, I find difficult to accept that other criteria and not pure logic, may decide whether a blade is named one way or another, and names are not mathematical descriptors but words of convenience. So in the end a sword may bear a name when viewed from the tip of the blade, and another one, when viewed from the hilt.

Well, I guess I'll have to get over and live with it...

After all, we can't put everything into a clearly defined mathematical equation...

But this doesn't mean we should stop trying!
Old 30th March 2016, 09:29 PM   #46
kronckew

Quote:
...I simply find hard to accept the idea that a sword bears a name or another simply because somebody called it this way.

the classic example is the spanish 'falcata', a made-up name from the mid 19c used by a historian to differentiate it from the classic greek kopis, which it was a variant used in greek colonies, of course. the name stuck and we are stuck with it now too.

a rose by any other name would smell as sweet...
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 09:31 PM   #47
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
a rose by any other name would smell as sweet...
Thank you!

(PS: the locals are right... Until you find out they use modern terms)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 10:21 PM   #48
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Yes Jim, I saw your reply at post #11 and as I fully agreed with it, I had nothing to add or ague against.

However, I continued to support my logic and asked for the logical explanation of the opposing idea, so I could learn something new, as I failed to see any consistent logic in naming the very same blade shamshir whether it bears a Persian or Indian hilt, and Kilij when it bears a Turkish hilt. And I simply find hard to accept the idea that a sword bears a name or another simply because somebody called it this way.

Now the rest of your comment (that I didn't quote) sheds much light on this subject as it offers a completely diferent perspective of the inconsistencies I observed. However, as a mechanical engineer, I find difficult to accept that other criteria and not pure logic, may decide whether a blade is named one way or another, and names are not mathematical descriptors but words of convenience. So in the end a sword may bear a name when viewed from the tip of the blade, and another one, when viewed from the hilt.

Well, I guess I'll have to get over and live with it...

After all, we can't put everything into a clearly defined mathematical equation...

But this doesn't mean we should stop trying!

Well that explains a lot, you are a mechanical engineer! and clearly your world does rely on pretty much rigid rules and axioms as deviations would produce I am sure often undesirable if not disastrous results.

In the more literary subjectivity of terms used descriptively, there is a wide berth for the application of names for things which again, I noted as very much depending on the circumstances. I must admit feeling a bit of frustration at times over the many years of researching arms when I could not really put an item in one box or another in classification.
Even Oakeshott, who was a foremost arms historian known for his classifications of medieval swords spoke anxiously on how often a type so and so though superceded by the next type was often clouded into its previous as well as following type as the forms were maintained longer in certain areas.

Again, it comes down to describing an item as best as you can, with the most apparent designator accompanied by any mitigating or variant possibilities . It is not always neat or concise, but any responsible cataloguer or scholar will do so to avoid misperception or misrepresentation.

As most here know, I am seldom shy about using extra words, and often I do so to avoid just those kinds of misunderstanding, as well as trying to be as accurate as possible in what I try to describe. Actually I rather like learning more on the various terms used in descriptions for certain items and collect that data as part of the history of each form. These instances are often intriguing stories in their own right.
That however is the historian in me, while clearly maddening to those more analytical or involved in typology and classification.

Knonckew, thank you for that bit of information on the falcata! I did not know this, and that is pretty interesting !!!
These are the kinds of things I am talking about.

You are right on the fact that we indeed should always endeavor to keep learning, as we always say, more research to follow.
Old 31st March 2016, 01:44 AM   #49
ariel

Amusingly, an almost identical argument is conducted as we speak in the thread
"Default Kalis / Kris / Keris Sundang / Solot / Sulok / Suluk"

The same ethnic variability of names, the same overlays of European terminology, the same confusions in spelling/ transliteration , the same firmly held beliefs... :-)))

There are two major schools of Classical Latin in Russia, Moscow and St. Petersburg, and for a couple of centuries they are conducting vicious warfare about proper pronunciation of letter "c" in certain words: as "ts" or as "k". Since native speakers of Roman Latin have all joined the Choire Invisible two millennia ago, final resolution of that momentous clash of the titans is not in the cards in any foreseeable future.

Come to think of it, our arguments are not that much different:-)
However, if we stop being obstinate and open our eyes and ears to the arguments of our opponents, this game becomes a lot of fun and we can learn, - not a whole lot, - at least something new.
Old 31st March 2016, 03:58 AM   #50
estcrh

Quote:
I believe it is the blade that should primarily define the type of the sword, and my previous example with the Tulwar hilt on many different swords clearly illustrates and substantiates my line of thought.
Then following this line of thinking there is no such thing as an "Omani khanjar", as all double edged single curved dagger blades from the same region should be jambiya while the all double edged recurved dagger blades should be khanjar.
Old 31st March 2016, 06:42 AM   #51
Helleri

I lean towards Shashqa. Seems to fit the general form.
[Edit: Scrolled back and saw that where this was mentioned, it wasn't regarding a different specimen but that same sword up for auction at a different time and place...So the following digression is moot.]
I know it was mentioned that something typical to see would be the double fuller being enclosed (box like). I am not sure that it isn't. We can't fully see the area that would let us know about that as it is covered by the leather. but if you look closely. It looks to me at least like grooves of the fullers could connect there.
Attached Images

Last edited by Helleri; 31st March 2016 at 07:00 AM.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 07:00 AM   #52
ariel

Helleri,
Please see my post #6: it is the same sword, and the leather does not obstruct the view. The "box" is there.

I agree: it is very much Shashka-like, but it is not Caucasian.
It is kind of "homage" to shashka, but with a few local twists.

I do not share Mariusgmioc's opinion in post #11 that it was not sold for a good reason.
IMHO, it is a tremendously interesting and authentic sword in its own right, and I would love to have it in my collection. Regretfully, too expensive for me right now.
My guess is that people were repulsed by its non-standard appearance, but it is a plus in my estimation. To each his own.
Old 31st March 2016, 07:46 AM   #53
Helleri

Yeah I re-read that and edited accordingly. Misread it the firs time.
Old 31st March 2016, 09:30 AM   #54
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Helleri,
Please see my post #6: it is the same sword, and the leather does not obstruct the view. The "box" is there.

I agree: it is very much Shashka-like, but it is not Caucasian.
It is kind of "homage" to shashka, but with a few local twists.

I do not share Mariusgmioc's opinion in post #11 that it was not sold for a good reason.
IMHO, it is a tremendously interesting and authentic sword in its own right, and I would love to have it in my collection. Regretfully, too expensive for me right now.
My guess is that people were repulsed by its non-standard appearance, but it is a plus in my estimation. To each his own.
You might have realised by now that I have a rather rigid approach and I don't like it as it doesn't fit precisely into the archetypal Shashka cathegory. However, I assume there might be collectors at exactly the opposite end of the spectrum, seeking rare and exotic examples.
Old 31st March 2016, 09:38 AM   #55
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Then following this line of thinking there is no such thing as an "Omani khanjar", as all double edged single curved dagger blades from the same region should be jambiya while the all double edged recurved dagger blades should be khanjar.
Exactly, as the Omani Khanjar is practically the same weapon as the Yemeni Jambia... with a local touch. So to me they are the same weapon with two names... pretty much like the Caucasian Kindjal and Qama...

And there I am inconsistent with... MYSELF.

Ouch!

Old 31st March 2016, 10:42 AM   #56
Helleri

Quote:
Exactly, as the Omani Khanjar is practically the same weapon as the Yemeni Jambia... with a local touch. So to me they are the same weapon with two names... pretty much like the Caucasian Kindjal and Qama...

And there I am inconsistent with... MYSELF.

Ouch!

Metalworks and ceramics were traded between India and states all long that coast down as far as Mombasa on the sea route of the silk road. But Oman and Yemen are smack dab next to each other...Usually the name of a knife often turns out to just be what a knife is called or some defining feature of the knife in the native tongue.

It's entirely possible that Yemeni Jambiya and Omani Khanjar are simply the same knife. But perhaps Yemen had the port worth visiting on the sea route of the silk road so they may have ended up adopting the Indian word for it?

It could also be a simple longstanding mis-classification. Someone labeling things for some museum or private collection could have simply got it wrong. And for lack of a better idea from successive peers it stuck and fell into how we reference things as a misnomer.

In any case I think it's safe to say that objectively, they are the same thing, and should both just be called Jambiya (Omani-Jambiya and Yemeni-Jambiya).
Old 31st March 2016, 11:30 AM   #57
ariel

It is even simpler than that: Yemen on the Western border of the peninsula was purely Arabic and a purely Arab name was used: janb= thigh, side.
Oman on the Eastern border had significant Persian influence, and they used Persian name.

Scabbard rings notwithstanding:-)))

In this business rigidity does not help: Mughal Sossun Pata carried an Indian very much yataghan-like blade and tulwar handle. But I have a sword with a tulwar handle and a genuine Ottoman yataghan blade. Is it still Sossun Pata or not? :-)

Or: some old Tulwars had a cup-like pommel with a central baluster and a classical curved blade. They brought the entire pattern to Northern Sumatra and it stayed there . Only the locals manufacturing it call it Piso Podang. What should it be called now?

Or: Southern Indians combined basket handle with a straight European blade and called it Firangi. A tad North an identical sword utilizing locally-made straight blade was called Sukhela or Dhup in different areas. Are we talking about 3 different swords?

Or: Russians adopted Caucasian Shashka , a guardless saber, as their official military regulation weapon. Bit later on, they added a D-guard to it and continued to call it Shashka. Are we going to argue with the Russian Department of War?

Weapons travel, acquire different owners, mutate, add or subtract features, are called by different names etc. We are dealing with products of centuries-long processes. Rigidly sticking to a moniker or a description mentioned in one or another glossary impoverishes our understanding of history.
Old 31st March 2016, 01:47 PM   #58
mariusgmioc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Are we going to argue with the Russian Department of War?
God forbid NO, we are definitely not going to argue with the Russian Department of War!

And your examples... wow... what a mess with the names!

The good part is that I may have gotten the picture... I guess...

Old 31st March 2016, 03:06 PM   #59
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
God forbid NO, we are definitely not going to argue with the Russian Department of War!

And your examples... wow... what a mess with the names!

The good part is that I may have gotten the picture... I guess...

Outstanding Mariusmioc!! I think we have all gotten the picture in this ongoing conundrum. It has never been easy to accept these frustrating aspects of studying these weapons, but your willingness to join in compromise in dealing with these terminology issues is exemplary.

Excellent observations by everyone on this sword, and for me I remain with Ariel in that this is a soundly produced weapon in tribute toward the shashka.
Old 31st March 2016, 06:36 PM   #60
Iain

There was a time I attempted a classification study on takouba. Didn't take long to find the folly in it. Trying to classify swords that cross linguistic and ethnic boundaries, not to mention use imported blades and are exported across ethnic lines means you can find 3 different words for every style, blade type etc. Over the years I've found my interest in labels less and less. Really they tell you very little for the most part and are quite often nonsensical. Case in point calling swords from the Arab speaking parts of Sudan kaskara.

I understand the want to classify and neatly categorize with specific names, but either I've gotten lazy with time or just come to realize it's not a particularly useful exercise in the long run. An Oakeshott style typology I find tends to be just as useful with no bickering about local terminology an a description of physical characteristics that are generally agreed.

Or maybe I'm just a burnt out cynic after to many years reading through colonial era African language dictionaries and not finding what I wanted!
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote