Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th June 2007, 10:44 PM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Default UNATTRACTIVE NEWER KERIS

I FOUND THIS KERIS WHICH JUST ENDED ON EBAY #230144257675 IT IS SAID TO HAVE A PARMOR BLADE ENTIRELY COVERED WITH A GOLD COLORED METAL. THERE ALSO SEEMS TO BE SEVERAL OTHER EXAMPLES ON THE SITE WITH LARGE AMOUNTS OF THIS GOLD COLORED METAL. IS THERE ANY MAGICAL MEANING TO THIS OR IS IT JUST SOMEONES IDEA OF A WAY TO MAKE A KERIS MORE ATTRACTIVE TO BUYERS. I FIND THE ONE I LISTED AS EXCEPTIONALLY UGLY BUT WHO KNOWS SOMEONE MIGHT LIKE IT A LOT.

I HAVE A COUPLE OF OLD NATIVE MADE SMALL KERIS LIKE KNIVES WITH SOLID COPPER OR BRASS BLADES. I DON'T KNOW IF THEY WERE MADE BECAUSE THE BRASS OR COPPER WAS AVAILABLE AND EASIER TO WORK THAN IRON OR IF A COPPER BLADE OR BRASS BLADE MIGHT BE MORE EFFECTIVE MAGICAL PROTECTION FROM BAD MAGIC OR SUPERNATURAL POWERS. I WILL TRY AND ROUND THEM UP AND GET SOME PICTURES WHEN I GET THE CHANCE.

IN THE MEAN TIME PERHAPS SOME OTHER RECOMENDATIONS FOR #1 UGLY KERIS OR ANY REASONS OR COMMENTS ON THE USE OF THESE METALS FOR MAKEING KERIS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 01:15 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

My first reaction is "Blehhh". That is also my 2nd and 3rd reactions.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 11:41 AM   #3
kronckew

badly placed drilled holes AND filemarks on the brass gunk on the blade! even the scabbard looks crude (the seller at least called the carving 'primitive'). i may only have one keris & not know the terminology, but i know what i don't like; i wouldn't trade mine for 100 of them.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 09:24 PM   #4
Henk

Cheap tourist stuff.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 10:31 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Thumbs down

Junk!
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 08:34 AM   #6
tunggulametung

Default "IS THERE ANY MAGICAL MEANING TO THIS"

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting in the forum, even I have been a regular visitor and a member earlier this year.

This post is intended to give anyone with lesser kris experience. By searching the forum with "kinatah" you will find many useful, related example and discussion.

I'm agree with Henk; well, not neccesarily intended for tourist, but I found out that some dukun here in Indonesia (shaman, traditional healer) often use similar pieces for his/her patients.

Thank you!
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote