Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th April 2010, 01:55 AM   #1
stephen wood

Default nimcha markings

Does anyone recognise the markings on this nimcha? There is a circular stamp on one side and letters on the other.

The blade is around 34".

Many thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by stephen wood; 6th April 2010 at 02:42 AM.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 03:11 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default No idea

I have no idea Stephen. Are better images available of the circle motif? A little oil and some steel wool may make it clearer.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 01:50 PM   #3
stephen wood

...thanks Gav - I don't have it yet but I 'm looking forward to giving it a clean - 0000 wool and oil.

I've found out that Georges Zaoue was an gun manufacturer based in Marseilles during the 18th-19th centuries and that nimcha blades turn up with the name. As for the other marking that, as you say, will have to wait for a clean.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thats very interesting Stephen, where did you find the information on that?
It seems the trade blades typically had some kind of 'acceptance' cartouches in that part of the blade root near the hilt, which perhaps this might prove to be.
These are truly fascinating swords with long history involving the Magreb and Barbary Pirates, and extending well into the 17th century.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 12:09 AM   #5
stephen wood

Hello Jim

...I searched online and actually found one reference on this forum. A pistol with the stamp is shown below.

Zaoue supplied arms to Garibaldi - the go-between was Alexandre Dumas...

I don't know whether Georges Zaoue's company manufactured the blades or just supplied them - the names of fourboisseurs who supplied them is sometimes found stamped.

The forum post mentions the nimchas coming from Marseille - might there have been a regular trade from there to the Maghreb?
Attached Images

Last edited by stephen wood; 7th April 2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 7th April 2010, 03:56 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the additional info and photos of the gun with this name. It would seem that this Zaoue name must have been a supply firm, and well into the 19th century. These sa'if (Moroccan nimcha) apparantly have quite a long standing history in both the Maghreb and in Yemen where these loop ring guard examples are believed from Zanzibar production.

If not mistaken, the circular cartouche at the forte nearest the blade edge must have been an acceptance stamp of some kind, as they are seen in a number of examples with varying information and symbols enclosed.

Marseilles was but one of the huge networks of trade through the Meditteranean and especially by this time in the 19th century. Naturally the French colonies in North Africa accounted for the huge volume of French weapons and trade items that became part of this cultural sphere.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote