Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM   #1
RobT

Default Mechanical Damascus Koumya Blade

Hi All,

Over the years I have seen a few koumya with the sheath finial missing (photo 1). I have always passed them up as too much trouble to repair for the asking price and quality. The mechanical damascus blade on this one surprised the heck out of me. I have never before seen a koumya with anything but a mono steel blade. Given the nature of the blade, the price was very reasonable so I decided to buy it and replace the missing finial. Photos two and three show a section of the blade (both sides) after a quick clean and an etch with a 3% nital solution. There is a maker’s mark consisting of two small stamps close to the hilt (photo 4). The stamp closest to the hilt has brass inlayed in two of the four depressions. I imagine that all eight depressions had brass inlays at one time. Adjacent to the maker’s mark on the convex side, a semi-circular notch has been filed into the edge of the blade. Why this was done, I can’t begin to fathom. The blade is only one of a number of anomalies however.
On every koumya I have ever seen, the metal ferrule on the hilt flares out to fit over the sheath throat and the throat can be removed from the rest of the sheath to allow for adjustment of the two wooden blade protectors if necessary. On this koumya, the hilt ferrule (photo 5) is rebated to fit inside the sheath throat (photo 6) and the throat is soldered in place. The wooden lining inside the sheath appears to be one piece (or at least glued together) and doesn’t rattle when the blade is removed and the sheath is shaken.
There is a MOP disk inlayed in the wooden part of the pommel. I have seen inlayed metal disks but never MOP.
On every other koumya in my collection, the tang goes through the metal pommel crest and is held in place by some sort of metal piece (either ornate or simple). On this new one, the tang is blind.
On even the most simply decorated koumya in my collection, the back is more simply decorated than the front. On this new one, both sides are decorated the same (photos 1 & 7 [Photo 7 shows my repair in place]) and, although the decoration is simple, the hilt and sheath are very well constructed.
Although the lugs for the baldric rings are respectable in height and length (photos 1 & 7), caliper measurement shows that they are only 3/16” (4.78mm) thick (photo 6).
Based on the thickness of the lugs, I believe that this is a 20th century piece that was intended for special occasion dress and not everyday carry. Furthermore, based on the presence of the mechanical damascus blade and the other atypical features, I believe this koumya was made outside of Morocco for sale to Moroccans.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Rob,

I strongly doubt that we see here any sort of damascus!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The decoration looks somehow not right for a koumya; too sparse and out of character for a dagger of this culture.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #4
Sajen

I think that it's a koummya for those who travel, sorry Rob!
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
I strongly doubt that we see here any sort of damascus!
Hello Rob,

I think what we see here is just the scratch from quenching. It's for sure not any damascus or pattern.

Regards,
Detlef
Old Today, 01:17 AM   #6
RobT

Default Plain Koumya, Not Tourist, For Sure Damascus

Rick,
Here are two rather unadorned koumya from my collection. Unlike the subject of the current discussion, these two koumya have all of the expected construction features (hilt ferrule over sheath throat, press fit sheath throat, two wood blade protectors inside the sheath, through tang, less decoration on the obverse). I have no doubt that they were made in Morocco for sale to Moroccans. The first koumya has an octagonal copper sheath and copper hilt furniture. The blade has a maker’s mark. The second koumya has a brass sheath and hilt furniture. The simple decoration on both koumya notwithstanding, they are well constructed of heavy copper and brass. I agree with you that the koumya now under discussion wasn’t made in Morocco. It isn’t the lack of decoration but rather the other atypical features that lead me to conclude that this item was made outside of Morocco for sale to Moroccans. Hopefully someone will recognize the anomalies as typical for some sort of jambiya made somewhere else and be able to give us a possible location.

Sajen,
I rather doubt that someone would go to the trouble of stamping a maker’s mark and then inlaying it with brass for a tourist koumya. If you look carefully at the photos (especially the close-ups), you can see that the brass on the sheath and hilt is heavy. The workmanship is very well done (especially the rivets). All the parts are well shaped and fitted together. The hilt ferrule fits tightly enough in the sheath throat so that the blade won’t fall out if the sheath is held upside down. Currently, I have 27 koumya and have seen a whole lot more. I know tourist from the real deal. This one is the real (albeit 20th century) deal. As for the damascus issue, we will have to agree to disagree. I have the piece in hand and I say that it’s for sure damascus. It isn’t damascus made to show off a pattern by any means but rather a gathering together of enough bits of steel (with varying degrees of carbon content) to be forge welded into a blade.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:57 AM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post

Sajen,
I rather doubt that someone would go to the trouble of stamping a maker’s mark and then inlaying it with brass for a tourist koumya. If you look carefully at the photos (especially the close-ups), you can see that the brass on the sheath and hilt is heavy. The workmanship is very well done (especially the rivets). All the parts are well shaped and fitted together. The hilt ferrule fits tightly enough in the sheath throat so that the blade won’t fall out if the sheath is held upside down. Currently, I have 27 koumya and have seen a whole lot more. I know tourist from the real deal. This one is the real (albeit 20th century) deal. As for the damascus issue, we will have to agree to disagree. I have the piece in hand and I say that it’s for sure damascus. It isn’t damascus made to show off a pattern by any means but rather a gathering together of enough bits of steel (with varying degrees of carbon content) to be forge welded into a blade.
Hello Rob,

I don't want to discuss if it is a koummya for use and wear, you have it in hand and I've learned by handling several koummyas that it can be tricky to distinguish between tourist ones and the ones which have been in use for wearing from pictures only. But I've handled tourist ones which have been of good quality.
But I am pretty sure that we don't see any sort of damascus and I am more surprised that not one of our members who are familiar with smithing haven't commented until now. Alan G. Maisey for example will be able to confirm that we don't see any sort of damascus in your pictures.
Polish the blade and re-etch it, you will see that there is no sign of damascus, I am pretty sure, sorry.
BTW, good repair of the tip of the scabbard!

Regards,
Detlef
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #8
francantolin

Hello all ,

I don't even see any real pattern,
on the pictures you show us anyway
For be sure, you ''just have'' to sand it and etch it
francantolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by francantolin View Post
For be sure, you ''just have'' to sand it and etch it
Exactly what I've stated in up! Thank you that you don't let me alone!
Old Today, 03:32 PM   #10
Sajen

No other member here in the forum can say that we don't see any lamination on this blade?? Really??
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #11
Marc M.

Quote:
No other member here in the forum can say that we don't see any lamination on this blade?? Really??
Sorry for my late response, in my opinion it is indeed not damascus but as you said it looks like the structure of hot steel cooled in water or oil. Try if you can bend the blade a little, does it come back straight, steel, does it stand crooked, iron.
Regards
Marc
Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:14 PM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M. View Post
Sorry for my late response, in my opinion it is indeed not damascus but as you said it looks like the structure of hot steel cooled in water or oil. Try if you can bend the blade a little, does it come back straight, steel, does it stand crooked, iron.
Thank you Marc!
My intention is not to make Rob's koummya bad, but to make it clear that what we see here is in no way a lamination in any way.

Regards,
Detlef
Old Today, 04:44 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

I believe that Detlef is most probably correct. What you see on this blade is probably caused by the quenching of the blade. Here is a railroad spike that i forged into a dagger that has a similar effect to what we see on your blade and i an 100% positive that my blade is not pattern wielded.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:00 PM   #14
Lee
EAAF Staff

The bright spots on the OP's blade in linear groups remind me of nie or larger martensite crystals that may be seen in Japanese swords. David's attribution to quenching effects is probably correct.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:21 PM   #15
Bob A

Quote:
Didn't look like lamination to me.

I didn't wish to dogpile onto a previous post.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:28 PM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I believe that Detlef is most probably correct. What you see on this blade is probably caused by the quenching of the blade. Here is a railroad spike that i forged into a dagger that has a similar effect to what we see on your blade and i an 100% positive that my blade is not pattern wielded.
Thank you David! Yes, what we see here is caused by quenching of the blade, exactly what I've meant in post #5.

Regards,
Detlef