Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2011, 12:54 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default Some Moro related assistance please.

I have a question for those of you who have a higher level of knowledge than do I in respect of the keris of the Moro People.

I am seeking the correct Moro ( and other related ) terminology for the various features of the Moro Keris ( or if you prefer:- kris).

What I mean by this is:-

what word would be used by a Moro to name the blade, or the gonjo, or the sogokan,or the greneng, or the kembang kacang, and so on , in a Moro keris?

I am not looking for the conventional terms employed by collectors in the Western World, but rather the actual terms used by the people for whom this weapon is a part of their cultural inheritance.

I thank you in advance for your assistance.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default is this any help?

This may be of help?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...menclature.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...word_parts.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...components.jpg
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 02:46 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Gavin. I have seen (and in fact posted) the one for kris before, but i had not seen the chart for barong or kampilan before.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default Here is some more

David,

Glad they are of use.

Google image searches revealed these some time back and I am sure Lorenz complied these in the one place on his website too.

Alan, scanned is page 60 from Robert Cato's book Moro swords, I hope the links and this scan can give you the direction you need.

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 03:42 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Thanks Gavin.

I do have Robert Cato's book, in fact when he was writing it we corresponded, and he let me have some material from European museums that he had used during its writing.

However, I have recently had some doubts cast upon by some of the terms he has used, or perhaps it could just be the spelling of some terms, by a couple of people who, although not keris or weapons orientated , do most definitely know the languages involved.

What I am hoping for is some current local knowledge.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:53 PM   #6
migueldiaz

There's a good Tausug-English dictionary, by Hassan, et al. (1994). The terms below were lifted from there. It was produced by the Summer Institute of Linguistics, such that one can expect the highest quality of research.

A. SWORDS, KNIVES, & OTHER BLADES

PUDDANG: noun. A large, double-bladed sword (used by warriors of olden days). Kulang na in puddang bihaun ha Lupa Sug. Large double-bladed swords are scarce now in Jolo. verb. ag mag-; pat -un. To use such sword. Magpuddang in manga tau nakauna yadtu bang sila nagbunu. The people of olden times used large double-bladed swords when they fought. Cf. ispara, kalis, barung.

BARUNG: noun. A single-bladed weapon (having a heavy back and tapering in thickness to the point). (it has an elaborately carved handle, is worn at the waist and used only for fighting. The barung and the double-bladed sword (kalis) are the two favorite bladed weapons of the Tausugs.) v. ag mag-. To wear or use such weapon. Bang sila magbunu, magbarung sadja atawa magkalis. When they fight, they only use a single-bladed weapon or a kris. OV SYN. kalis

KALIS: noun. A kris (the famous two-edged sword of Sulu). Tiyakus niya in kalis niya. He sheathed his kris. OV SYN. barung, puddang

KAMPILAN: noun. A long, two-handed, bladed weapon (rarely seen or used in recent times).

possible related word? - KAMPIL: noun. a woven container (of coconut leaves used for keeping fruit or raw or cooked provisions).

UTAK: noun. A (working) bolo. Da kaw utak bang kaw pa uma. Take a bolo when you go to the field. Cf. Janap, lahut.

PUNYAL: noun. A dagger (smaller than a kitchen knife). In punyal asibi dayn sin laring. A dagger is smaller than a knife. Cf. utak, sangku

JANAP: noun. A (short working) bolo (having a blunt end which is sharpened to facilitate weeding or digging). Marayaw hipagsuwat in janap ini. This bolo is good for weeding. Cf. utak, lahut.

LAHUT: noun. a variety of Tausug knife with a sharp-pointed blade. Lahut in panghuyaan sin sapi'. Use the sharp-pointed knife to cut the beef. Cf. laring, utak, pisaw, janap

LARING: noun. A knife (as a kitchen knife or pen-knife). Wayruun laring hikapanghuya ta sin sayul ini. We have no knife to cut these vegetables with. Cf. lahut, utak, janap, buna', pisaw.

PISAW (gimb. pisawali): noun. A small knife (esp. used in preparing a betel nut chew). Butangan in pisaw ha mamaan. Put the knife inside the betel nut box. Cf. laring

BUNA: noun. A type of small working knife. Marayaw tuud hipaghinang in buna bang mahayt. It's very good to use the small working knife for working when it's sharp. OV SYN. laring, utak, janap, lahut, pisaw

ISPARA (Tagalog) noun. A sword (usu. refers to foreign swords). Cf. puddang

SANGKU: noun. A bayonet. Awn sangku sin manga sundalu yaun. Those soldiers have bayonets.

B. WORDS DIRECTLY RELATED TO SWORDS

PUHAN: noun. a handle, hilt (of a sword, knife, kris, etc.). Bulawan in puhan sin kalis niya. The hilt of his kris is gold.

BAYKASKAS: noun. a shank collar (of a bladed weapon). Bulawan in baykaskas sin kalis hi Panglima Ganih. The shank collar of the double-edged sword of Headman Ganih is of gold. SYN. budbud

BUDBUD: noun. a shank collar (of a bladed weapon). Bulawan in budbud sin kalis hi Panglima Ganih. The shank collar of the double-edged sword of Headman Ganih is of gold. SYN. baykaskas

BUNGBUNG: noun. a shank (of a bladed cutting instrument). Ayaw mu pukpuka in puhan sin yan mabali' in bungbung. Don't strike the handle of that bolo, the shank will break.

SIKU'-SIKU': noun. the wavy edge (of a kris). Landu' in dayaw sin kahinang sin siku'-siku' sin kalis ini. The wavy edge of this kris is well done.

DALIG: noun. the back edge (of a single-bladed cutting instrument). Marakmul in dalig sin barung ini. The back edge of this bladed weapon is wide.

PUSSUK: noun. the point, tip, (of a needle, ice pick, knife, spear, etc.). Piyalian siya sin pussuk budjak. He was injured by the point of the spear. Mapussuk in punyal ini. This dagger is pointed.

TABUGUBAN: noun. a sheath (of a bolo or bladed weapon). Malingkat in ukkil-ukkil ha taguban sin kalis ini. The carving on the sheath of the kris is beautiful.

HUBLUT: verb. to draw, unsheathe (as a sword from the scabbard, or a pistol from the holster. Hubluta in ispara mu. Magsimpan kita. Draw your sword. We'll fence.

SULAB: noun. a blade (of a tool, weapon, etc.). Nagbunut sila lahing ha sulab badja'. They husked the coconut on the blade of the plow.

HASA: verb. to whet, sharpen (something, esp. a bladed weapon such as a bolo, knife, or kris).

HAYT: noun. the sharpness of things, such as the blade of a weapon, pencil, teeth, or fingernails.

TUMPUL, DUMPUL: adj. blunt, dull, not sharp.

PUNDUL: adj. (of a bladed instrument) dull, blunt. In utak pundul hiyasa' niya. He sharpened the blunt bolo.

SUMBING: adj. jagged, dented, notched, nicked (as of the edges of cutting tools). Masumbing in laring bang hitigbas pa batu. A knife will get nicked if you strike it on a stone.

PUNGLAS: noun. the material used in cleaning a bladed weapon (as barong, kris, or spear). In piyaglagi punglas sin kalis ku tubig suwa'. Lemon juice is the material used in cleaning my kris. Punglasi [as verb] in barung mu. Clean your bladed weapon with lemon juice.

C. WORDS USED (OR MAYBE USED) IN RELATION TO SWORDS

ANGKA': noun. a carving or design (as on a sword's hilt, grave marker, or wooden furniture), mark or indication (as a dog ear on a book, boundary post or the like). Malingkat in angka sin puhung kalis mu. The designs on your kris hilt are very nice.

UKKIL: noun. carving. Samal in maingat mag'ukkil sakayan. Samas are the ones who know how to carve designs on canoes.

LUK (from KALLUK): adj. curved, bent

JANGGAY: noun. a long fingernail; MAJANGGAY: adj. having long fingernails. Majanggayan in kuku mu bang mu di' tutupan. You'll have long fingernails if you don't clip them. noun [JANGGAY]. an artificial long fingernail used when performing a Tausug dance.

LANTIK: adj. double-jointed

TULID, MATULID: adj. honest, straightforward.

SAWASA': noun. copper. Mahalga' na in sawasa' bihaun. Copper is now expensive. Cf. tumbaga

TUMBAGA: noun. brass, copper, bronze.

BASI': noun. steel, iron.

GAHA: noun. rust

GARING: noun. elephant tusk, ivory

KITLAN: noun. tar, pitch.

BUAYA: noun. a crocodile (generic)

DUYUNG: noun. a large somewhat whale-like tropical mammal, mermaid.

GADJA: noun. an elephant

D. OTHER BLADE WEAPONS & TOOLS

BUDJAK: noun. A spear, lance, pike, javelin. verb. CH ag mang-, mag; pat -un To pierce or stab something with a spear or the like. Biyudjak niya in babuy talun. He speared the wild pig. OV SYN. sapang

BINANGKAW: noun. A short bladed spear. Cf. budjak.

SAPANG: noun. A spear (for catching fish), harpoon. In sapang niya di makakawa kagang. His harpoon couldn't get the crab. OV SYN. sawbang Cf. budjak, sangkil

SANGKIL: noun. A harpoon lance. In sangkil pag usalun hipamatay kaytan. A harpoon lance is used to kill sharks. Cf. sapang

SAWBANG: noun. A fish-spear with bamboo points. OV SYN. sapang

TATAHAN: noun. the shaft of a fish spear.

PANA: noun. An arrow (as in archery). Taga lassun in pana sin manga kamaasan yadtu. The arrow of our ancestors had poison on them.

GANGAT: noun. a barb or hook (on the end of a fish spear, arrow, etc.).

BADLUNG: noun. a slingshot. In badlung hinang da isab sanjata sin kamaasan. Slingshots were weapons of the people of olden times.

PITIK/ PITIKAN: noun. a slingshot. Pitika in manuk-manuk yaun. Hit that bird with a slingshot.

BAWGAN: noun. A trigger (of a trap), bow (of an arrow). Nabali in bawgan pana niya. The bow of his arrow is broken.

BAWANG: noun. a missile shot from a blowgun (sumpitan); made from a tiny well-chopped bamboo slat, pointed at one end. Cf. sumpitan

TUKLANG: noun. sharpened bamboo, wood or iron (used as stake).

LATIGU (Tagalog): noun. a whip with a rod and a lash attached at one end.

TAMING: noun. A shield, covering for protection (as from rain, lightning, sun, a blow, or prying eyes).

E. TERMS RELATED TO BLADECRAFT

PANDAY: noun. someone who has a special skill or talent in a specific field. panday bulawan: goldsmith; panday basi: black smith

SASAL: verb. to work with (a metal), make (a metal) into (something). Mapanday siya magsasal bulawan. He is expert in working with gold. MANANASAL: noun. a smith. Mananasal bulawan hi Bapa' Aruyan. Uncle Aruyan is a goldsmith.

GAWGARI: noun. a file, a carpenter's tool for filing wood or metal. Gawgarian ku in puhan sin kalis ku. I will file the handle of my kris.

PATUK: noun. a woodworking tool for scraping (consists of a wide chisel fixed in a head made of woven rattan at the end of a long curved handle; the striking angle of the chisel blade can be adjusted).

SANGKA: verb. (for a driven, pointed object such as a nail or the handle point of a bolo) to reach a limit or an end point; drive (such an object) to a limit. Nagsangka' siya puhan pa utak. He is driving the bolo into its handle (literally, the handle onto the bolo).

LIKUP: noun. an iron tool (used for making holes in bamboo, wood, leather, and the like), gimlet, auger.

KAPA: noun. an ax, hatchet.

MASU: noun. a sledgehammer. Cf. tukul

SANGKAP: noun. A chisel.

SANGKUL: noun. A (gardener's) hoe.

SUWAT: verb. to turn over (soil with bolo, to be able to remove weeds easily or to aerate it).

JANGAT, JANGATAN: noun. an implement for scraping (consisting of a handle with a row of sheet metal loops). Mahayt tuud in jangatan ini. This scraper is pretty sharp.

BAKA'-BAKA': noun. a deep wide-mouth oval shaped basket made of rattan or similar material with a string fastened on the sides and with a cover, usually carried on the back by a harvester.

---

I have yet to find a Maranaw or Magindanaw dictionary that's as good as Hassan's Tausug dictionary.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 01:27 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

I thank you most sincerely for your comprehensive response, Migueldiaz.

However, I regret that the terms in which I have the most keen interest are omitted from the list that you have provided.

Specifically, is it possible to provide absolutely correct terms for the equivalents found in the Moro keris of these parts of the Javanese keris:-

sogokan

ganja

greneng

ron dha

kembang kacang

blumbangan

I thank you again for the effort you have invested in your response to my question.
Old 10th May 2011, 01:50 AM   #8
migueldiaz

Hi Alan. My reply was a little off tangent admittedly

But if I will have the chance to interview soon a couple of pandays in Sulu and Mindanao, I'll surely pass on the info to everyone. Thanks too.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 03:25 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
Hi Alan. My reply was a little off tangent admittedly

But if I will have the chance to interview soon a couple of pandays in Sulu and Mindanao, I'll surely pass on the info to everyone. Thanks too.
Please do!

However it has been noted that the info back in the day had morphed or disappeared today.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 12:03 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Migueldiaz for your further advice. I do hope your contact with these people will be fruitful.

Thank you Battara for your comment. Language can change over time, and possibly that is what may have happened here, however, even though modern terms may vary from those terms of , say, 150 years ago, it is likely that elements of the original term would still be recognisable.