Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th September 2006, 08:48 PM   #1
ariel

Default Moro swords: are we facing an epidemics?

Over the past several months I have noticed a profusion of Moro swords on e-bay coming directly from the Philippines .
Here is an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=012
Can experts explain to me (us?) what is going on?
1. A sudden increase in the willingmess of the Moro people to sell their antiquities?
2. An emergence of an industry manufacturing "aged" swords (and, likely, other "antiques") akin to wnat we see in China?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

That is an interesting surface on the blade .
Also the blade looks a mite on the thin spined side .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 09:39 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

YES TO BOTH QUESTIONS.

THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN PRODUCTION OF SWORDS AND KNIVES TO SELL TO TOURISTS. SOME ARE AGED TO MAKE THEM LOOK OLD AND SOME ARE NOT. THE EXAMPLE OF A PIRA YOU SHOW IS A MORE RECENT ARTIFICIALLY AGED EXAMPLE WITH A THIN POORLY MADE BLADE. PERHAPS A SERVICIBLE BLADE BUT THIN AND POORLY MADE WHEN COMPARED TO A GOOD OLD EXAMPLE. THE HORN WORK ON THE HANDLES OF THESE CAN BE VERY ORNATE AND THEY CAN DO VERY GOOD WORK. I HAVE BID ON A COUPLE OF FANTASY KAMPILLIANS FROM THE SAME SOURCES THAT WERE VERY ORNATE BUT THEY WENT FAR TOO HIGH FOR WHAT THEY WERE. SO NOW I AM SURE THE MAKER/SELLERS WILL WANT TOO MUCH FOR ANY FUTURE PRODUCTIONS.

THE HIGH DEMAND AND PRICES ON EBAY HAS MADE IT EASIER FOR DEALERS TO BUY OLDER WEAPONS TO SELL AS THEY CAN PAY MORE AND STILL MAKE A LARGE PROFIT. SOME ARE COMPLETE OLD EXAMPLES OTHERS ARE OLD BLADES PUT TOGETHER WITH NEWER AGED HANDLES OR OLDER HANDLES WITH NEWER AGED BLADES. SOME ARE PLAIN EXAMPLES THAT HAVE HAD SILVER, BRASS OR OTHER DECORATIONS ADDED TO MAKE THEM MORE APPEALING TO BUYERS. THESE TYPES OF WEAPONS HAVE BEEN AROUND IN SHOPS ALL OVER THE WORLD FOR A VERY LONG TIME BUT YOU DIDN'T SEE VERY MANY UNLESS YOU TRAVELLED. NOW ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TURN ON THE COMPUTER TO BE OFFERED STUFF FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. OFTEN THE FIRST SHOP TO START SELLING ON EBAY WILL SELL ALL HIS INVENTORY AND THEN GO BUY OUT THE STUFF FROM THE OTHER SHOPS WHO HAVE NO MARKET AND SELL THAT AS WELL. OFTEN THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WE FACE BUYING ON EBAY IS WE ONLY HAVE PICTURES TO JUDGE PATINA, CONDITION AND AGE, WHICH IS DIFFICULT AS ARTIFICIALLY AGEING IS OFTEN VERY WELL DONE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 10:27 PM   #4
Bill M

A friend of mine wants it. Tried to talk him out of it, but he likes it. Asked me to put a sniper bid of $100 on it. He decided that the marks on the handle are from a battle. Where they protected the guy's wrist.

Wish I had not shown him mine. Ah well.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 01:37 AM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
That is an interesting surface on the blade .
Also the blade looks a mite on the thin spined side .
Came today. Got to get it to my friend.

Actually it is not too bad, the weird pattern is rust. Spine is on the thin side. May clean it up and post some pictures.
Old 20th September 2006, 04:10 AM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Bill

I think this sword is of recent manufacture and the blade seems artificially aged but if your friend likes thats all that matters.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 11:50 AM   #7
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Bill

I think this sword is of recent manufacture and the blade seems artificially aged but if your friend likes thats all that matters.

Lew
Lew,

It looks recent to me also. I will make my friend a wooden stand for his mantle and he will tell his friends about the "Battle scarred sword." At least he does not have much money in it.

He is traveling right now and it will be a few weeks before I can show it to him, so I may still post a few picturs after I clean it up a bit.

Bill
Old 20th September 2006, 02:57 PM   #8
CharlesS

One of the sellers(who shall remain nameless here) on Ebay offering some Moro pieces is quite honest and upfront about his offerings and whether or not they are antique.

It's really quite simple...old, authentic pieces are listed under "Antiques", while later pieces, remounted old blades, etc. are listed under "Collectibles" on Ebay by him.

I also find him very honest and direct in any communication about his pieces.

I am sure many of you know who I am referring to.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 02:02 PM   #9
William.m

Have you noticed that the same seller as put up this sword for sale. It looks almost identical to the one you bought heightening my suspicions that the sword is indeed modern.

Last edited by Ian; 24th September 2006 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Remove URL to current eBay listing. Ian.
William.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2006, 03:16 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

William, i am afraid that it is against forum policy to post auctions before they have ended.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 04:19 PM   #11
philkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
One of the sellers(who shall remain nameless here) on Ebay offering some Moro pieces is quite honest and upfront about his offerings and whether or not they are antique.

It's really quite simple...old, authentic pieces are listed under "Antiques", while later pieces, remounted old blades, etc. are listed under "Collectibles" on Ebay by him.

I also find him very honest and direct in any communication about his pieces.

I am sure many of you know who I am referring to.
Lord Voldemort?
philkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 02:23 AM   #12
CollectingNewbie

This gentleman is very honest about his listings, I recently purchased one of these blades from him because it looked very intereasting to me. I asked him what he knew about the blade and he said that he thinks they are new production from somewhere close to where he lives. I love the look of it but I think when it gets here in the next few days Ill re sell it, I made a last minute impulse buy and its not as old of a peice as Id like to keep in my collection. So if anyones looking for one Ill be posting one for sale or trade on here and ebay shortly.
CollectingNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote