Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th January 2017, 07:27 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Two early bronze helmets for appreciation

These two helmets were found close from other period implements, while some construction earthmoving took place in 1974, in a place 30 Kms. away from where i live. They are of the Roman Monfortino (Italo-Celtic) type and date from the 1 BC - 1 AD centuries, a date supported by a Roman coin found less than two feet distant, with with the head of Augustus (27 BC - 14 AD) in one side and, on the other, a round shield (caetra) with two lances and a falcata. It all indicates that these helmets were made by local or regional smiths for individuals of high social status, judging by the thorough decoration, in a period when local castro culture had been romanized.
I have taken pictures in various positions and trimmed some of them so that details and metal texture may be observed. Pity the responsible for the place couldn't remove the glass cases for better picture quality.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 04:35 PM   #2
NeilUK

Thanks for posting those photos, Fernando, and they are pretty good despite the glass case. I am fairly familiar with Roman helmets but have never seen any with tall projections on the top like these before. Are they a particular Iberian/Lusitanian design? An extra oddity to add to the archive!
Regards, Neil
NeilUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 06:57 PM   #3
fernando

Thank you for your comments, Neil.
In lack of further information, i would say that the existence of these prominent spikes also belong in the same culture that applied their typical decoration on these helmets, similar to that applied in their ceramics.
'Castrense' culture, is that practiced in 'Castros', a term brought from the Latin 'Castrum', which were pre-Roman fortifications or camps; what you would call chesters in English.
These fortified settlements, developed in the 4th century BC, were situated in the Northwest of the Iberian Peninsula, between the rivers Douro in Portugal and the Navia in the Spanish Asturias, hence an area further North from that 'inhabited' by the Lusitanians.
As an interesting note, the orifices in the spike and on the brim would be for applying a chain hanging between both; sometimes the spike having, not a simple hole, but a ring. The examples in the posted pictures were found in a site belonging to the village of Castelo do Neiva. A similar one was found further south, in a castro situated in Povoa de Lanhoso, where the spike has the said ring and a 52 link chain.
Attached a picture of the ruins and a simulation of the Castro situated in the site of Terroso, in my Hometown.

Attached Images

Old 12th January 2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These are really fascinating Fernando, and its great to have them added here especially as pertaining to these unusual and seemingly localized forms in the Roman period in Spain. As Neil notes, key additions to our ever growing archives, and thank you for adding the important historical data surrounding the helmets.

Pretty exciting to be located so closely to such amazing history. The notes on the curious spikes are intriguing also, and as you show, the architectural aspects which often appear in arms and armor seem to compellingly suggest an association. In looking at these I think of the well known German 'pickelhaube' helmets of the latter 19th c into WWI.

I also am always fascinated by the keen attention you add to the etymology and terms as well. These aspects really add dimension to understanding more on these cultures via their arms and armor.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 07:45 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
...especially as pertaining to these unusual and seemingly localized forms in the Roman period in Spain...
In Spain, Jim ? In this case Portugal, as you may read that the examples posted were found in my neighborhood.
Old 12th January 2017, 10:33 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
In Spain, Jim ? In this case Portugal, as you may read that the examples posted were found in my neighborhood.

Oops! Sorry Fernando, my bad.
Old 13th January 2017, 01:23 PM   #7
fernando

Red face A little bit of History ... told in an unscholarly manner

Quote:
Oops! Sorry Fernando, my bad.
Never mind, Jim; we are used to such flaw .
As a matter of fact, in the period these helmets were used, neither Portugal nor Spain, in its actual concept, existed.
The Iberin Peninsula was then a countless number of Peoples and regions, which the invading Romans called Hispania (from the Phoenician/
Carthaginian Span or Spania). In the South East you would find the Iberians, a name previously given to the Peninsula by the Greeks and, in the North West you had a pre-Celtic group called Galaecians, which ended up being the Galicia region. From this Galicia, one southern part was donated in the XI century to the Burgundian Count Dom Henrique, for having helped King Afonso VI of Leon and Castille to fight the Moors. From this county called Portucale (from the Latin Portus=Oporto), Dom Henrique's successors managed to expell the Moors down to limits of the Peninsula Western strip by the year 1249, giving a final form to what is the oldest inaltered one nation state of Europe.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 13th January 2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 13th January 2017, 04:26 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Fernando, and very much appreciate your latitude in overlooking my flaws, which seem to increase by time. In this slip of the tongue, it has benefitted us with this additional refresher on the character of the Iberian regions in these times by cultural and ethnic groups. It is indeed a key factor to remember that in given times in history, modern national names did not exist in most cases, and most regions were called by quite different terms far from having recognized borders.
Old 13th January 2017, 05:00 PM   #9
fernando

Quote:
Thank you Fernando, and very much appreciate your latitude in overlooking my flaws.
Nothing personal, Jim. I meant to say that, folks out there thinking that Portugal is nowhere or, in the least, a part of Spain, is a recurrent flaw ... fortunately each time less .
Old 13th January 2017, 07:09 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Nothing personal, Jim. I meant to say that, folks out there thinking that Portugal is nowhere or, in the least, a part of Spain, is a recurrent flaw ... fortunately each time less .
Not at all Nando, I meant I am of course among the masses who make these kinds of suppositions and misperceptions, and these days I can blame it on age