Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th January 2017, 11:09 AM   #1
ALEX

Default Solingen Presentational Sword

Here's Solingen presentational sword with gilt decorations and inscriptions and fine damascus pattern.
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 12:06 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Excelent example, Alex. Can you translate the text for us ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Alex,
This is a magnificent Prussian army presentation sword! and the intriguing letter font using what appears to be 'fraktur' adds to the handsome etched inscribed panels and decoration.
This stirrup hilt form sabre is of course long standing from Napoleonic period through the 19th century and actually continued up to WWII.

While I cannot translate the words exactly it appears to denote a particular regimental 'command' and the sword was presented to a hauptmann (captain) of this unit in 1875.

The high quality blade is indicated with the term 'eisenhauer' (= iron cutter) both in the blade above makers name at forte as well as in the decorative flourish etched on the blade (iron cutter etched in damask) . The etched Damascus pattern is decorative of course.

F. Horster was of this Solingen family of producers with Friedrich listed 1825-1875.

What is most interesting is the year of this presentation, 1875. The Franco-Prussian war had ended in 1871, but tension remained high. In 1875, in what seems to have been a strategic ploy, a news headline was generated suggesting war with France was again imminent. This created or perhaps better described as perpetuated the strained diplomatic maneuvering between most of the European super power nations, which eventually would result in WWI.

A book reviewed in the Oxford Univ Press journal 'German History', November 4, 2011 best describes the military climate in 1875 Germany,

"The War Scare of 1875: Bismarck and Europe in the mid 1870s" by James Stone; Stuttgart, Franz Steiner Verlag, 2010.

Perhaps this Prussian captain was awarded this sword either for meritorious service in the Franco-Prussian war during ongoing military recognition of that conflict. Possibly this may derive from 'military posturing' during these circumstances in 1875 as well.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Can you translate the text for us ?
I would be able to translate it, it's German text but not complete.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 06:15 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
I would be able to translate it, it's German text but not complete.
Perhaps Alex is able to show us the whole inscription ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
The high quality blade is indicated with the term 'eisenhauer' (= iron cutter) both in the blade above makers name at forte as well as in the decorative flourish etched on the blade (iron cutter etched in damask) . The etched Damascus pattern is decorative of course.
Hello Jim,

I know next to nothing about the blades from my own country but I am maybe able to help with the inscriptions. I've googled a little bit and found that the term "EISENHAUER" is a quality grade and mean that the blade is proved by "Nagelprobe", a prove of the edge quality when I understand correct.
The other term seems to say that the blade is from real Damascus also when I would agree with you, it look like "fake" Damascus. But the term say clear "real Damascus"!

For the other words I respond later.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 10th January 2017, 07:39 PM   #7
Sajen

The other inscription is not complete, who is the presenter from the sword I can't see but it was given to the "more as highest venerated" (hochverehrtesten) commandant....(here again is a part I can't read because not visible complete) Alexander Venkarini (?) in the year 1875. I just need to read it complete.
The Presenter is any division.

Last edited by Sajen; 11th January 2017 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 10th January 2017, 11:36 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Detlef,
Thank you so much for that input!!!
There are quite a few guys around here who know these kinds of 'watered steel' blades, and I am about as far from a metallurgist as they come. I have always been under the impression that a faux Damascus was etched or somehow produced on the blade.
However, I know that while the mystery of wootz making was pretty much lost, in Germany and I think Russia, the skilled artisans did achieve some level of the cherished steel sometime in the 19th c.
Excellent information on the 'Eisenhauer' term, I will add to notes.
All the best
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 12:29 AM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Detlef,
Thank you so much for that input!!!
Glad that I could be from help!

Best regards,
Detlef
Old 11th January 2017, 07:32 AM   #10
kai

Hello Jim,

Quote:
There are quite a few guys around here who know these kinds of 'watered steel' blades, and I am about as far from a metallurgist as they come. I have always been under the impression that a faux Damascus was etched or somehow produced on the blade.
However, I know that while the mystery of wootz making was pretty much lost, in Germany and I think Russia, the skilled artisans did achieve some level of the cherished steel sometime in the 19th c.
"Echt-Damast" doesn't refer to wootz but rather a pattern-welded blade (made from laminated steel). As Detlef said, the maker does claim it to be real PW. For most of the blade this seems true (from the back of the blade, top of the close-up), whereas along the edge (lower side of the pic) there seems to be some faux pattern added by wax resist etching!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 08:24 AM   #11
kai

Lightbulb

Alex, this is him:

Hauptmann 2. Cl[asse] Alexander Venturini
Commandant der Sanitäts-Abtheilung Nr. 10 zu Innsbruck (Juli 1870 - [1875?])

Captain 2nd class Alexander Venturini
Commander of the 10th Medical Department/Regiment at Innsbruck (July 1870 - [1875?])

https://books.google.de/books?id=1vp...er%20venturini
[Heck, doesn't work: remove alexander in the search field at the left hand side and hit the search button - this takes you to p. 133]

Regards,
Kai
Old 11th January 2017, 11:02 AM   #12
ALEX

Thank you very much, Jim, Detlef, Fernando, Kai, for such informative comments. Kai, thank you for finding the person in the register.
I will also try to make better pictures and post later. Thanks again!
Old 11th January 2017, 04:21 PM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
"Echt-Damast" doesn't refer to wootz but rather a pattern-welded blade (made from laminated steel).
Have thought that this is clear!
Old 11th January 2017, 04:27 PM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Captain 2nd class Alexander Venturini
Commander of the 10th Medical Department/Regiment at Innsbruck (July 1870 - [1875?])
Hello Kai,

very well done! Have had problems to read the surname.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 11th January 2017, 04:37 PM   #15
ALEX

Quote:
... The other term seems to say that the blade is from real Damascus also when I would agree with you, it look like "fake" Damascus. But the term say clear "real Damascus"! ...
I can see why Jim and Detlef saw the pattern as being acid etch, i.e. artificial surface applied. May I question this? Having some resemblance to wax resist method, it lacks the details that such method would produce due to application of a template that results in sequential repeats in the pattern. I do not see such repeats, nor the template being used here. To me this indicates true mechanical Damascus, in line with such stated description on the blade. Is there another resist method that could be used to yield a random pattern, etc?
Old 11th January 2017, 06:37 PM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
I can see why Jim and Detlef saw the pattern as being acid etch, i.e. artificial surface applied. May I question this? Having some resemblance to wax resist method, it lacks the details that such method would produce due to application of a template that results in sequential repeats in the pattern. I do not see such repeats, nor the template being used here. To me this indicates true mechanical Damascus, in line with such stated description on the blade. Is there another resist method that could be used to yield a random pattern, etc?
Alex,

now I am very sure to see real pattern welding and I am not surprised about this. It's not only a identification by seeing but also a matter of feeling. I am sure that the blade is pattern welded. Roland could be a candidate to tell more about this.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 11th January 2017, 07:14 PM   #17
kai

Lightbulb

Hello Alex,

Quote:
Having some resemblance to wax resist method, it lacks the details that such method would produce due to application of a template that results in sequential repeats in the pattern. I do not see such repeats, nor the template being used here. To me this indicates true mechanical Damascus, in line with such stated description on the blade. Is there another resist method that could be used to yield a random pattern, etc?
The upper part of the blade is clearly pattern-welded: the darker sigmoid pattern (my added green line) is the lowest pw part.

The pattern below this line is clearly faux in my book: despite trying to look like pattern-welding, it is quite erratic and just doesn't make sense from a blacksmith POV (I have indicated a few of the more obvious areas that look problematic. I believe this was done to also decorate the inserted edge en suite with a similar pattern.

I reckon not many lay people will recognize this trick; I believe the etched pattern (or rather the wax) was drawn by hand - a technique also utilized in other regions of the world (in varying quality).

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

Old 18th January 2017, 02:23 PM   #18
Roland_M

Quote:
Hello Jim,

I know next to nothing about the blades from my own country but I am maybe able to help with the inscriptions. I've googled a little bit and found that the term "EISENHAUER" is a quality grade and mean that the blade is proved by "Nagelprobe", a prove of the edge quality when I understand correct.

Regards,
Detlef

Hi Detlef,

"Nagelprobe" is something different! "Nagelprobe" has nothing to do with "Eisenhauer". Even the german Wikipedia explanation is wrong.

"Eisenhauer" means that the blade is able to cut through an ordinary 0.5" (or similar) nail without traces on the edge, except a tiny discoloration.

All the early "Eisenhauer" blades had to pass this test, later it was more a symbol for quality without a specific test.

Best wishes,
Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 04:40 PM   #19
Sajen

Hi Roland,

like said, I know nothing about this area of collecting and repeat what I found by google! And like said in up, I've thought already that you will be able to tell more!

Best,
Detlef
Old 18th January 2017, 07:12 PM   #20
kai

Question

Hello Roland,

Quote:
"Nagelprobe" is something different! "Nagelprobe" has nothing to do with "Eisenhauer". Even the german Wikipedia explanation is wrong.
Could you please expand on this?

Quote:
"Eisenhauer" means that the blade is able to cut through an ordinary 0.5" (or similar) nail without traces on the edge, except a tiny discoloration.
Nails are usually made from very mild steel; if you anneal them, they should pose no problem to any hardened steel blade. A thick iron rod may still pose a challenge - it seems more of a test for a good edge geometry (and sword technique) to me though!

Regards,
Kai
Old 19th January 2017, 04:35 AM   #21
silberschatzimsee

http://www.wissen.de/wortherkunft/nagelprobe

Dunno how legitim this source is though
silberschatzimsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 08:44 AM   #22
Roland_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Roland,

Could you please expand on this?

Nails are usually made from very mild steel; if you anneal them, they should pose no problem to any hardened steel blade. A thick iron rod may still pose a challenge - it seems more of a test for a good edge geometry (and sword technique) to me though!

Regards,
Kai
Hello Kai,

you are right, the iron rods for testing the "Eisenhauer" were made from pretty soft iron, "Eisenhauer" is mainly an early marketing slogan. In England they had a similar test "Guaranteed to cut iron" or so.

The "Nagelprobe" I know comes from razor blade quality testing. The master will lay the razor blade edge flat on his thumb-nail (0°, no cutting effect) and gives a little pressure on it. Because the razor blade edge is very thin and flexible a kind of wave will appear in the cutting edge. Now the master moves the blade under pressure from left to right and watch for the wave. Over the whole length of the edge the wave must be the same. Is this the case the edge has a constantly thickness which is very important for a good classic razor blade.

You are probably also right with the faux damask on the cutting edge. Many Solingen swords from 19th and early 20th ct. have only faux damask. If you are interested, I can make a scan from my Solingen-Swordmuseum book. But until now I have never seen a combination of real and faux damask. An inserted cutting edge is quite unusal on Solingen swords of the 19th ct..

best,
Roland

Last edited by Roland_M; 19th January 2017 at 11:50 AM.
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote