Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd June 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Mark

Post Support for a second "Masters of Fire" exhibition

I expect that many of you are aware that two years ago the Macau Museum of Art hosted an exhibition featuring the work of contemporary bladesmiths from around the world, entitled Masters of Fire. It was a huge success.

One of the participating smiths, Jesus Hernandez, has started a petition asking people to support a second Masters of Fire exibition, with new pieces, and likely more bladesmiths. The results of the petition will be provided to the Macau Museum as evidence of the broad support a second exhibition has around the world.

You can sign the petition (anonymously if you prefer, but using your name would be best) here.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by Mark; 22nd June 2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: I forgot the links!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Mark

I'm bumping this up again, in the hope that people who haven't seen it, or people who saw it and never got around to checking out the petition, will take a look and sign.

It was a great exhibition, and it would be nice to see a second one. Though modern, these swords are very much a cultural expression, since they are present-day interpretations of old styles and themes, and though they are produced for culturally different reasons than their "ancestors," they reflect a certain unique thread in our contemporary society(ies) that is very strong and ties us to our past in a somewhat unexpected way.

So, sign early, sign often. Tell your friends.
Old 7th September 2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Bill M

I certainly support this and hope that others will take a few minutes and sign it also. I know Jesus Hernandez and am a long-time admirer of his work, particularly with Tamahagane steel. He is truly a Master of Steel and Fire!

http://home.comcast.net/~jeshern/for_display.htm
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 05:26 PM   #4
rand

Default Exhibition

From what I have seen and from the combined depth of information the group associated with this forum could work with a museum in the USA and put on a great exhibition. You already have the material and accumulated history, just needs to be arranged and presented.

Museums are always looking for something to exhibit, they are also looking for ways of bringing funds in by having exhibitions that are dramatic and draw a crowd.

Thinking outside the box here for a moment, at a gathering of collectors with items of interest, could professionally photograph all the objects in one setting. Then make a description agreed on by all exhibitors along with an associated history. Select probable museums and make a presenation to them of an exhibit to have. Of course a museum with similar objects to present also would be a plus.

Would also make a press packet for the museum to send to newpapers, As newspapers are always looking for something to fill space and will print interesting stories for free.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 06:06 PM   #5
Andrew

I absolutely support this project. The first exhibition catalogue was beautiful, and exposed me to some modern swordmakers I had never heard of.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Mark

Wink

Ssssh .... we're working on it. No promises.
Old 5th October 2007, 04:39 PM   #7
Mark

Bumping again. It seems that the petition drive has stalled at just 14 signatures short of the 100 goal. If you have not already signed, please consider doing so. The Masters of Fire exhibition isn't exactly about ethnographic weapons (though I would argue that modern swordsmithing is as much a cultural expression as ancient swordmaking), but it is still a great idea IMHO.
Old 5th October 2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Bill M

Come on. Only need 14 more. 86 have signed up.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 11:21 PM   #9
DaveA

Thumbs up Signed

This is a fantastic idea. (As in "wonderful", not "fantasy").

I greatly admire the metalsmiths, swordmakers and all the related artisans who create what are truly works of art. Their effort is immense for all to little recognition.

If there are any events in N. America or Europe that feature newly made swords and knives as objects of art (not the latest macho anti-terrorist you know what I mean) then please send me a note.

- Dave A.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote