Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th February 2014, 09:14 PM   #1
russel

Default Long-handled Kukri

After three years of collecting Kukri, I am now the proud custodian of a long-handled Kukri! (After reading posts and discussions here and elsewhere about the terms Hanshee and Lambendh, I this I will stick to a simple, descriptive name for this style of weapon).

Mine isn't the biggest or finest example, but I am pleased with it nonetheless. The blade is sharp and undamaged, the handle has some old, patinated chips. Curiously the bolster has been secured with a nail! This repair seems, to me at any rate, quite old. All in all a solid, well balanced weapon.

I can appreciate the utility of the long handle: I am a man of slight stature (small hands). Used single handed, the extra length provides great balance. With both hands this would deliver a devastating blow.

I would appreciate any thoughts members have.

Cheers, Russel
Attached Images

russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 09:51 PM   #2
spiral

A lovely early example Russel! of a true Lambendh, Yours is long handled so in Nepali that equals Lambendha.

it is also steeply curved... that equals Hanshee as in sickle like.

But your description makes it very clear!

The fullering shows yours to be an early example... probablaly pre. C.1825 quite likely pre. C.1815 { The second Anglo -Nepali war.}

The carved ring grip is also typical.

Early painting show the long handle gives a nice hand reat when stuck through ones sash.

Most of these are very light so two hand use wouldn't add much to the power of a chop or cut, but does when used to stab. {As in finishing off a grounded opponent.}

Personally I think of them more as giant cut throat razor sharp weapons of the Early warrior elite throughout the Himalayas, used purely as a weapon & perhaps prestige.,but not for firewood or vine clearing. {excepting emergencies.}

But all in a a lovely specimen, almost certainly some form of laminated steel . {or occasionally even wootz}{All though of coarse some laminated kukri are just a functional use of steel, but some are beautifully pattern welded.}

Spiral

Last edited by spiral; 14th February 2014 at 09:42 AM.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Ferguson

That's a truly beautiful kukri. Congratulations!
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 03:45 AM   #4
Berkley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel
I am now the proud custodian of a long-handled Kukri! ... I will stick to a simple, descriptive name for this style of weapon.
I reached the same conclusion some time ago, since I neither speak nor understand Nepali, and have enough difficulty making myself understood in my native American English.
Congratulations on acquiring a lovely specimen of the type. I took the liberty of editing your picture slightly to show off the lovely chip-carving of typical pattern and the wood grain, which appears to be rosewood or similar.
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 08:58 PM   #5
russel

Thanks for the comments guys.

Great to have confirmation of an early 19th century origin, I suspected this due to its type, and the well forged single, deep fuller.

The blade shows a few small forge flaws, but no other obvious signs of lamination, as a few of my other Kukri do. Perhaps I may give it an etch one day, but after a little light cleaning I will leave it as is for now. I am yet to etch a blade, so caution dictates that I leave this item until I have practiced on a few lesser items. I am also rather reluctant to change the lovely patina: light and even, and commensurate with age.

Here is a clearer image of the handle carving.

Cheers, Russel
Attached Images

russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 11:30 PM   #6
archer burak

Smile

thats beauty , cong...
archer burak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Ferguson

Russell, Love the carving on the hilt. Oh heck, I love the whole thing, but the carving is very nice. Here's a similar carving from one of a similar age, but different type, smaller.
Steve

Edit, the color is off in the picture. It's not nearly that orange.
Attached Images

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote