Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd May 2007, 03:17 PM   #1
CourseEight

Smile Kastane for comment

I've always wanted one of these, and the blade quality on this one seems decent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190107012923

Comments welcome!

--Radleigh
CourseEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Very nice! Great price. Will wait for better pics.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 03:18 AM   #3
CourseEight

Default Some pics

I finally cleaned up and photographed the kastane. It's hard to photograph, but I've tried to show that there does appear to be a genuine (wootz like?) pattern to the blade. It's more "angular" than the wootz I've seen on the forum, so I don't know what to call it. But it doesn't appear to be pitting, since its unifom and I can't feel it as a texture. It would be my first wootz piece, if it is wootz, so I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but hopefully someone else will! Still a steal of a piece, I love it.

One other thing that's curious, though. The balance on the sword is a bit odd, since its center of balance seems to be exactly at the point where the blade becomes the ricasso. So its seems this sword at least was not meant for fighting.

Comments once again appreciated!
Attached Images

Old 17th May 2007, 03:29 PM   #4
josh stout

The blade pictures aren't really in focus but it looks like it might be pattern welded to me. I see what look like lines.

You lucky dog.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 03:37 PM   #5
CourseEight

Quote:
The blade pictures aren't really in focus but it looks like it might be pattern welded to me. I see what look like lines.
Yeah, my camera's macro mode just isn't macro enough to get the detail. I've been meaning to get a better camera anyway, so this just may be the excuse I need!

I'll post better pics when I can get them...

--Radleigh
Old 17th May 2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Flavio

Thumbs up

Really, I know nothing about these swords, but this one it's a true museum quality piece!!! Congratulations
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 03:25 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most unusual kastane, especially if that blade is actually wootz. It is quite atypical to see the forte cover, which seems to favor the 'tunkou' type feature on yataghans. It seems that most kastanes I have seen are typically mounted with 18th century European hanger blades ( naturally many of these now very hard to find, had Dutch VOC markings).
A very attractive example and the blade most intriguing.
Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 05:41 AM   #8
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourseEight
One other thing that's curious, though. The balance on the sword is a bit odd, since its center of balance seems to be exactly at the point where the blade becomes the ricasso. So its seems this sword at least was not meant for fighting.

Comments once again appreciated!
Hi Radleigh. I think you absolutely stole this thing! Congrats.

Personally, I think swords with a COB close to the handle feel "quick". I prefer it, actually.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 12:17 AM   #9
CourseEight

Talking

Thanks so much for all the kind words!

Quote:
Personally, I think swords with a COB close to the handle feel "quick". I prefer it, actually.
To be honest I didn't really have much knowledge about how kastanes were used, except as ranks of office given by the Dutch. I've always been under the impression that, for a slashing or cutting type weapon, the best place to strike with it would be at the COB. Having the balance point close to the hilt does make the sword quicker, as you said, which would be good thing for control when thrusting. Of course, I've only done a night course in foil fencing at the local community college, so I'd love to learn whether all this is actually true!

In searching for information on the fighting styles of the Ceylonese, I found this great article:

http://www.pihakaetta.com/sinhala_weapons_armor_low.pdf

It seems they did have a fencing foil type weapon, so maybe this balance fits their preference. I'm curious as to how other kastanes out there are balanced, especially those with native blades. Does anyone else have one to share?

Quote:
This is a most unusual kastane, especially if that blade is actually wootz. It is quite atypical to see the forte cover, which seems to favor the 'tunkou' type feature on yataghans. It seems that most kastanes I have seen are typically mounted with 18th century European hanger blades ( naturally many of these now very hard to find, had Dutch VOC markings).
When I bought it I thought it would perhaps be such a European blade, with the decorations added later, but this does not seem to be the case. I'm attaching a couple of other examples I've found through searching that are somewhat similar. The first is from Oriental-Arms, and the second is in Stone (Nos. 4 and 6). Both have the forte decoration, but I haven't been able to find one with the decorations in the fuller. Indeed, most with non-European blades don't seem to have fullers at all, and the Oriental-Arms one below has a blade of not nearly the quality, wootz or no.

Another note about the forte decorations: near the border of where the decorations have been lost there appears to be a hole in the blade with a piece of metal filling it in (the piece is a little loose). It almost looks like a rivit. It's unclear whether the brass was put over the hole, or the hole was made after the brass and then filled in. I've read some discussions about the use and meaning of such holes (testing metal quality for export, 100 kills, etc) and I'm interested how such a hole in this sword adds to the debate, if at all.

I'm attaching another couple of photos trying to capture the pattern on the blade, but I fear this one has failed as well. Not owning any "confirmed" wootz myself I'm still not sure whther it is or it isn't. Can oxidation form a pattern on the blade along the entire length of it, that is pretty much the same everywhere and looks a bit like rayskin?
Attached Images

Old 21st May 2007, 04:17 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Nicely done Radleigh!!!
I very much like the way you have addressed the posts regarding your sword and providing nicely detailed support material. The kastane is not often discussed and extremely limited information available on them, so your sword and data have added to the archived resources here.
Thank you very much!
All the best,
Jim
Old 21st May 2007, 09:45 AM   #11
Marc

Corrosion can indeed form a pattern along the blade, which a priori seems to be the case here. Im' afraid that without better focused pictures it's going to be hard to say anything realistic about it...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 02:25 AM   #12
CourseEight

Hi all --

Quote:
Nicely done Radleigh!!!
I very much like the way you have addressed the posts regarding your sword and providing nicely detailed support material. The kastane is not often discussed and extremely limited information available on them, so your sword and data have added to the archived resources here.
Thank you very much!
All the best,
Jim
I'm quite pleased to contribute. I've only been collecting real stuff for about a year, and I have to thank everyone here for what an incredible resource this site is. I'm glad to give back, even in such a limited way!

Quote:
Corrosion can indeed form a pattern along the blade, which a priori seems to be the case here. Im' afraid that without better focused pictures it's going to be hard to say anything realistic about it...
Thanks for the information, Marc! Given this, I'd say I'm fairly convinced it is not wootz. I'd love to see pictures of the sort of whole-blade patterns that corrosion can cause, to compare with mine. Reading more about it, unless I'm incorrect it seems that with a vigorous polish one can make a wootz pattern disappear, and require an etching to reappear. I tried further polishing of the kastane, and got... no change whatsoever. This, and the seemingly none-existence of other examples of wootz kastanes, seems conclusive to me.

Still an amazing piece that I'm lucky to have!

(Still on the hunt for my first something made of wootz... )

--Radleigh
Old 8th June 2007, 08:18 PM   #13
derek

Hi,

I just want to tell you that you have found a fantastic kastane for the price. I have seen examples in much poorer condition go for three times that. Congrats, it's a keeper.

As noted before, these swords were generally not meant for fighting (like many piha kaettas). They were made for people of rank or importance. They were likely inspired by Dutch naval swords during the Dutch colonial era in Ceylon. These swords, as well as the pihas, were not likely produced after the King of Kandy surrendered authority to the British in 1815. These are old swords.

Somewhere I have seen a pic of a painting of "Bonny Prince Charlie" wearing a kastane. If anyone can still find that pic, please post a link!

I've read several historical comments about the fine iron ore found in Ceylon, but the blades produced there are frequently not of a quality that would reflect this. However, the real art was poured into the other aspects, as you can see, and the styles and patterns were very explicitly defined in Sinhalese terminology. The spirals, swirls, and animal forms were heavily inspired by the surrounding flora, fauna, and spiritual beliefs.

This sword is almost certainly not wootz. If anything it would be pattern welded, and may possibly be differentially hardened "like" a japanese sword.

Again, congrats on the find. Let me know if you get tired of looking at it

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 05:17 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Derek,
I sure would like to see the illustration of Bonnie Prince Charlie wearing what must appear to be a kastane also. It seems it would most likely be a hanger of some sort, as one of these in Scotland seems unlikely. I know that many exotic weapons turned up in the Netherlands though, clearly from the Dutch East India Co. commerce in those regions, so who knows?

The history of the kastane itself is obscure, however as a weapon form, actually with focus on the hilt, the earliest known example with the 'sinha' (lion) head and distinct quillon arrangement is held in Tokyo. This sword is provenanced from the Keicho Mission of 1613-1620, which was a diplomatic mission which visited many foreign ports. It is unclear whether the mission actually obtained the kastane in Ceylon (Sinhala, Sri Lanka) or whether it was obtained via another trade location. In any case its provenance does set the hilt form to early 17th c.

In my opinion, the distinct quillon system reflects hanger hilts from earlier Italian sabres known as 'storta' which were widely diffused via the Venetian traders (see "A Late 15th Century Italian Sword", A. North, The Connoisseur, London, 1975). These hilts in turn developed on European hangers of the forms seen in England, Germany and the Netherlands. Many of these later featured lion heads it is uncertain whether the sinha from the kastane may have prompted the European versions. It does seem that these distinct swords may have developed from the considerable trade contact of these powers, and may have been adopted in form in the early years of the 17th c.

It is indeed interesting that with the steel production so prevalent in Sri Lanka from ancient times that they became so reliant on the foreign blades in the case of the kastane. Many examples I have seen seem to consistantly carry VOC (Dutch East India Co.) blades and if memory serves, most of those have dates stamped in 1760's. I do agree that the kastanes do seem to date from 18th century and possibly as noted to c.1815.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 9th June 2007, 06:45 PM   #15
ingelred

Hello,

in the book Visions of an Island about the collection of Christopher Ondaatje there is another painting mentioned showing a portrait of General Aexander Popham wearing a kastane. According to the book this General lived from 1605 to 1669. This painting is now in the Tower of London and is reproduced in the book, too. There are also nice pictures of all kinds of antiques of Ceylon including many nice kastanes and piha kaettas.

Greetings, Helge
ingelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 08:11 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Helge,
Thank you so much for the info on that book! It seems anything really specific on the weapons of Sri Lanka (old Sinhala, Ceylon) is pretty hard to find. Very much appreciate the help on that I'll try to find a copy.

All the best,
Jim
Old 9th June 2007, 09:31 PM   #17
derek

Hi Jim,

I'd have to agree it's unlikely Prince Charles come by a kastane in Scotland! But he was after all born in Italy and then exiled in France. I'd guess he came across one during the latter period.

Please let me know if you find that book!

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 03:58 PM   #18
paolo

Hi all,
I send some pics of my one. The blade hasn't nothing special, but I like the silver hilt. As Derek wrote, also IMO it isn't a sword made for fighting.
Paolo
Attached Images

paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 04:41 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Paolo,
Very attractive example! thank you for sharing it.

This example is quite interesting as it seems to be much lighter than the typical examples seen, though distinctly in form, and seems to be of course much more recent than the typical examples found which date usually mid to latter 18th c. Do have more on its possible provenance?

All the best,
Jim
Old 11th June 2007, 12:44 PM   #20
paolo

Hi Jim,
as You rightly wrote, my one should be end of 18th century. Unluckily the seller, when I got it, didn't mentioned the provenance.
Paolo
Old 11th June 2007, 12:53 PM   #21
paolo

Jim,
sorry, I red now better what You wrote. The seller described it as "end of 18th century". (I don't know if I may mention the seller).
Paolo
Old 11th June 2007, 03:07 PM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Paolo,
No not necessary to mention seller, just wondered more about any details on provenance but dealers seldom, if ever, provide such details. The attribution of 18th c. style would be appropriate.

All the best,
Jim
Old 11th June 2007, 07:36 PM   #23
paolo

Thank You Jim,
be patient because I'm not too familiar with English language, so often I mistake to write or I don't understand well all You explain.
Paolo