Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th January 2008, 05:46 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default King of Navajas

Hello fellow forumites, here are some pics of my latest Navaja purchase. It wont be in my hands until next week but I couldn't wait to share it. This little fellow is 34 inches closed and a tiny 64 inches open....tiny NOT!!! I'll be sure to add more detailed photos for those who are interested in these exotic knives.
As guessed by myself and indicated by fellow forumite Chris, this would be a cutlers display piece from the late 1800's. I am hoping someone can share their knowledge with regards to the images of soldiers on the blade? Who they are and from what period and country they are from?

all the best

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 04:11 PM   #2
cylord21

It is an Spanish “navaja”, these type of navajas were made mostly between the 18 and 19 century, usually they have inscriptions on them and sometimes filled with enamel paint, see http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001357.html. Most famous production locations were Albacete, Santa Cruz de Mudena, Jerez de la Frontera and Sevilla. There are navajas from Sevilla with the same type of work that the one you show here has on the beginning of the blade and the one from Albacete have an internal locking mechanism (see the difference from the one on the link, supoused to be from Santa Cruz as i been told they have a totally external locking mechnism). These navajas are a difficult subject that requires an expert to identify location and period but it should be from one of the four mentioned locations. As for the size I have seen a picture of a beautiful navaja from sevilla that measures 261 cm when open (about 102 and ¾ inches). Mine was supposed to be the biggest , your is bigger than mine and the one from sevilla is humungous , I wonder what’s out there. Whatever the size this are nice display weapons to have and they do make a fine conversation piece even for those who are not into blade collection .
cylord21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 11:38 PM   #3
ariel

Is this the same one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-Navajo-Kni...QQcmdZViewItem
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 11:57 PM   #4
Chris Evans

Hi,

You see Virginia, size does matter!

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Must be the Prince of Navaja

I am now guessing Cylord that this little fella must be the prince of Navaja, the quest continues to find the King of Kings

Yes Ariel as you have indicated to me it is the one and the same

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Chris Evans

Hi,

Now, this is a a navaja!

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/6531000.jpg

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote