Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th September 2021, 08:18 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Indonesian Yataghan?

Just 'won' this online, billed as a
"Sword - Brass, Buffalo horn, Iron, Leather - Tjikeroeh Cikeruh style - Indonesia
1st half 20th century ", arriving from France in due course.

LOA is 66cm. (26in.); Scabbard is a bit poorly.

Not too sure about the Tjikeroeh provenance. may have markings I can trace when it arrives. Haven't seen a recurved sosun pattah/yataghan one like this yet. If anyone has any info, I thank you in advance for sharing it.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 6th September 2021 at 03:33 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2021, 02:15 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Wayne,

There's a possibility this one could be from the Philippines (Central/Northern Luzon). Examples of similar recurved blades can be found there, and the full tang hilt with brass ferrules, small brass guard, and a leather scabbard with brass throat are all consistent with that area of Luzon.

If there is a tooled design on the leather scabbard, then it would more likely be Filipino than Indonesian. Otherwise, I think your Tjikeroeh attribution is probably correct. Very unusual blade for that part of Indonesia. Most of the W. Javan Tjikeroeh pieces of European design date from the first quarter of the 20th C, but I have not seen one with such a recurved blade before.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2021, 04:12 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I'm doubtful that this is a Sundanese (Tjikeroeh) blade. There is no decoration on the blade we're looking at here and the forging quality finesse usually seen on blades marked Tjikeroeh is absent.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2021, 04:32 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

I wonder if this is Nepalese or there abouts ? The military scabbard is confusing as the knife/ short sword looks not military issue?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2021, 05:21 PM   #5
kronckew

Thanks, all. It's on its way, hopefully Customs won't seize it & It'll get here in a week or so. I'll take s few better pics and measurements. Vendor says it weighs 770 grams/1.7 lb) - I'm assuming that is in the scabbard.
Old 7th September 2021, 08:44 PM   #6
Sajen

Hello Wayne,

The scabbard mouth from brass is typical Tjikeroeh/Sundanese but like others stated before, the recurved blade form is a little bit confusing. Interesting sword! Not all Tjikeroeh blades are decorated, many coming just plain.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

The brass ring and guard remind me some Indochina knives and coming from France may indicate the origin?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2021, 09:45 AM   #8
kronckew

I'd incline towards a Nepali tarbar if it had a pommel swell like most khukuri and tabars; and the brass throat/frog stud & leather sheath/scabbard is very western military.Maybe an Officer's private purchase? Maybe the original scabbard was lost & they used a western one that fit?
Old 10th September 2021, 04:47 PM   #9
kronckew

It arrived about an hour ago, no problems with customs.

Weighs 358 grams without the leather scabbard. blade is about 51 cm. long, 3.5 cm. wide at the guard, and the flat spine there is about 5 mm. thick. Cross-section feels a bit thicker in the middle, than at the spine or the convex edge. No false edge near the tip. Feels heavy, not a 'machete' type at all.

Oval brass guard, 14 cm green horn grip with a brass bolster and pommel cap. No markings at all. Some small bits of insect damage to the horn, shallow and does not penetrate inside. Otherwise tight and firm.

Brass scabbard throat is a bit loose, stitching on the back side of the scabbard is mostly gone, tip is damaged and blade point protrudes a bit. Leather is dried out & needs some care.