Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd August 2021, 03:26 PM   #1
JISX

Default Please Help ID Military(?) Knife

Hi all,

Can someone please help me ID the origin, type and era this knife was made? Appears to be military, but I'm sure that's wrong. Yes, I know it's in rough condition, appears to have been excavated as some point in its life.

Size approx 9 inches and quite heavy.

Thank you all in advance for your time and thoughts!
Attached Images

JISX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 10:46 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

While this one might have been posted more appropriately in the Euro Forum, we'll leave it here for now.

The knife is obviously in poor condition. It may well have been dug up, as you suggest. It reminds me of inexpensive "bazaar" tourist knives from various sources, including Pakistan, India, Thailand, Philippines, a host of Western countries, Russia and former Soviet states, etc. The quality of "steel" in this example appears to be very low, and the blade is probably quite soft judging from its wear and how it has been sharpened. I've seen similar knives from Pakistan, and was gifted one by a student who knew nothing of knife quality! The blade would not take an edge it was so soft. That would be my best guess, and it's purely a guess because such knives are made widely in imitation of western styles. One of the Moderators thought it could have been a prison shank.

As for age, it's hard to know. Not very old I would say. No earlier than WWII and as recent as the last decade would be my guess.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 02:29 PM   #3
Peter B.

Hello Jisx,

it's definitely not military - sorry, but no army would give its soldiers such a knife
Peter B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 04:42 PM   #4
Ren Ren

12 rivets?! They don't like to work so hard in Russia Look at Pakistan and China.
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 06:02 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Default Pakistan

This looks very much a Pakistan product and not a very nice one. Also I believe it is relatively new and has been deliberately damaged. To me it looks like somebody has attacked it with a blow torch hence the slight blueing of the blade. Some of the work from Pakistan, think Khyber pass and afghan arms production is excellent . I have two nice example of todays quality work.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2021, 01:33 PM   #6
JISX

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and info, most appreciated!
JISX is offline   Reply With Quote