Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd October 2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Freddy

Thumbs up African utility knife ?

I received this knife this week. I found it on eBay Belgium. Nobody seemed to be interested in it, so I got it cheap

When it arrived, I was surprised to find an old Congolese knife. Don't know which tribe it came from, but it's really nice.

At first, I just thought it was an ordinary knife, something for everyday use. The blade is nothing special. The seller even stated that it had some holes.
And it does have several holes in the blade.

The blade has been forged and is not an altered piece of steel. It's still very sharp.

The bottom of the wooden handle has been decorated with numerous copper nails. Judging by the dirt between them, these have been attached quite some time ago.

I wonder why such a simple knife, with forging defaults, would be decorated in this way ? Mostly ceremonial or status weapons have these decorations. Perhaps this piece has a more ceremonial use.

The total length is : 29 cm
Length of blade : 17,2 cm
Width of blade : max. 4 cm
The back of the blade measures 0,5 cm near the handle

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 07:12 PM   #2
colin henshaw

Very interesting little knife. With that iron wrap round the handle, it reminds me of the small Chokwe ? ones with holes to the wooden handle.

I don't have access to my books just now, but that type should be illustrated in "Beaute Fatale" However, I have never seen an African knife with holes like this to the blade.

Regards
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote