Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th September 2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Info on a Kindjal please

I have recently obtained this piece and several others and wish to know more about this one in particular. The hilt is bone and of an orange colour, would this denote a region/country or ethnic group for origin? The blade is broad, thick and has a nice taper to it in all direction. The blade is clearly stamped both sides, does anyone have any info on this mark in particular? Over all the piece is only 16inches and has a blade of 11inches.
Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default Another for the too hard basket?

Any one have the the wisdom to make any guesses on this ole piece? The orange bone handle is of particular interest to me as is of course the armourers stamp. I have seen similar pieces from Turkey, early 1800's but I do not know exactly....

Gav
Old 26th September 2008, 01:13 AM   #3
katana

Hi Gav ,
I have very little knowledge of Kindjals, but I am intrigued by the proportions of the blade (it seems quite 'heavy' and 'meaty') to the 'smaller' hilt. Whether this is a characteristic denoting age or area, or a re-hilt I do not know, but I would be interested in the comments of a more knowledgeable formite Many Kindjals I have seen (on eBay for instance) seem to have thinner 'weaker' blades.

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 02:53 AM   #4
Atlantia

Hi Gav,

Seems to be a bit of a lack of posting going on around here at the moment, not sure why, but a lot of posts seem to be getting few replies.

Like David, I'm afraid these things are not exactly my forte.
I've scoured my limited books an resources for you and the Kinjals I've found that resemble yours are all listed as Caucasian. I've snapped a copy of a picture of one in particular that I think is close, especially because of the central ridged blade rather than the asymetric fuller. The handle is also like yours, but apparently horn, not bone. This example is dated as 1866. Note the armourers mark, its position and the general proportions of the weapon compared to the larger ones either side.

Regards
Gene

Last edited by Atlantia; 26th September 2008 at 03:11 AM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 04:31 AM   #5
ward

Older blade is caucasian but the hilting probably balkans around 1900-1920
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks for coming in guys

Hi David, Gene and Ward, thanks for dropping in.

I am guessing the postings have been slow due to weekday commitments, there is usually an influx on the weekends but sometimes a prod is needed.
Nice example bought forth with the images too.
David the blade is very meaty and of strong proportions and is all business.
Thanks for the Balkans rehilting hint Ward, is it the small shape, the bone not horn or the orange colour that denoted this? What age is earlier Ward, can a small era be pin pointed with the proportions and armourers stamp?

thanks

Gav