Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th February 2008, 07:24 AM   #1
scratch

Default Chinese Knives II

Hello all,
If possible, could anyone suggest some methods of chrome removal please? I believe that it is nickel chrome as it has a golden sheen in certain lights.These are quite functional I think. Am i correct in believing that nickel chroming was done pre 1930's?. Also would anyone be able to translate what I think is a makers mark please? The chrome obscures the character somewhat. Any thoughts are appreciated Thanks

Best regards,

Dan
Attached Images

scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 11:03 PM   #2
RSWORD

I recommend utilizing a prefessional polisher because it is best to remove the chrome plating via proper coarse polishing stones and then when chrome plating is removed you can move to less coarse stones and for this form of Chinese knife there is a pretty good chance the blades are laminated. Chrome plating is not exclusively pre-1930 but this particular set of knives appear to be and it was not uncommon in the early 20th century for Chinese swords to be chrome plated. PM me if you are interested in a restorer that can fix that set up for you the proper way.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 01:18 AM   #3
RobT

Default reverse electrolysis?

Hi RSWORD,
Just curious, can't plating be effectively removed by reverse electrolysis?
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 03:08 AM   #4
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT
Hi RSWORD,
Just curious, can't plating be effectively removed by reverse electrolysis?
Sincerely,
RobT
I am afraid I do not know the answer to that as I am unfamiliar with that method. I would guess the overall goal would dictate what path to take. If it is simply to remove the chrome plating and nothing else then your suggestion could be an additional method. If the overall goal is to remove the chrome plating to reveal the metalurgical details of the blade which are better enhanced through a polish and etch, then I would recommend a professional restorer, which from my experience, would polish off the chrome plating via coarse stones.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:51 AM   #5
scratch

Hello RSWORD,
Thank You for taking the time to reply I can, as you suggested see what I believe to be some form of lamination beneath the chrome in certain light. I have lightly rubbed with 2000 grit paper and 0000 wool then chickened out for fear of marring what is underneath. I shall PM regarding professional "cleaning" as I would love to see the results! I am in Australia but am prepared to spend extra as I would have paid more to acquire these. Its funny how what you look for often appears any chance of your thoughts on the metal structure displayed in my other thread? Regardless, THANK YOU for your words and direction.

Kind regards,

Dan
scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 12:12 AM   #6
Emanuel

Hi Dan,

You can go much coarser than that. The pattern under the chrome is part of the steel and not just on the surface, so there's no way to damage it by light sanding. I've used 60-grit paper with good results on a chromed khukri, got rid of most of the chrome and then I sanded up to 180 and stopped. You can, of course, take it much higher than that and finish with a smooth polish. I just dislike mirror finishes.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote