Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th April 2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Greenchist fighting adze

In my continuing persuit of stone weapons I got this from the usual global flea market. A Papuan West Highland adze. It is the most lovely thing. Beautiful in the hand. The blade is greenchist or greenstone in ways very similar to nephrrite and jadeite but not those. It can have a similar hardness on the Mohs scale, around 6. There is a great help if you are interested in Papuan stone tools and weapons

"Culture of Stone, sacred and profane uses of stone among the Dani. O. W. "Bud" Hampton, Texas A&M University Press."

Greenstone is not the hardest of tool stone. The black stones tend to be harder for tree felling and other hard work. I do not want to post pages from the book so I will just give a flavour of what can be gleaned from the work. Mr Hampton does use some fancy words when simple ones would do. This axe is not "ANTIQUE" but would fit with Mr Hampton's field research in the very early 1980s. The people use the spear as a priciple weapon, the adze is used by some groups as a weapon. The halft is not long, a total of 42cm long. The hight of an adult male in the region is around 4' 6" so it need not be huge. This example is well handled and the blade is perfect which makes me believe it was a weapon, made for hitting soft things like people. It is very fine and must have been somebodies pride and joy. Just look at the exquisite multi fibre cordage.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 29th April 2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: correcting my bad English
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Indianajones

Hi Timm,
nice axe indeed. Perhaps not the oldest but interesting nontheless! The stone looks to me more like nephrite which is more found along the shore (more in direction of New Zealand) as it is green with the characteristic black spots.
The rope used -am not sure if you know- is actually also quite special as the bright yellow and reddishbrown are made from orchidstems! These are therefore more laborintensive to make. These were also used to make a special bodyarmor as the fibers are quite sturdy n smooth (arrows would bounce off).
The only reason why I think it may not be so old are the diagonal lines on the wood shaft and the patine. Could be early collected?!?

Anyway congratulations! Still a nice finds (surely exchanged for a few nuts n peanuts not?)
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Hello, Not old but collected some thirty years ago by missionary. The marks on the haft are not file marks. I checked with a x10 loop and they are very small chips from an adze. There is hand grime my pictures do not show it well. Fighting was not is not rare. I am pleased somebody else can see the beauty. The veriagation is common with argillite.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 29th April 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 29th April 2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Sajen

Agree that it is a very nice one, congrats!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

More stuff on the rock base on the field research by Mr Hampton he is qualifide if that helps? A masters in geology from the University of Colorado along with five other degrees. The stuff is Epidote amphibolite to epidote chlorite which makes the rocks green.
http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/Class/metamorphic.html
Old 30th April 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Indianajones

Hi, so does this mean this green type of rock is also being found inland of New Guinea?
Also, the more I look at that wonderfull bicolor rope, the more I like it! Also as it is not bicolored all the way.
Surely an authentic item. The marks on the handle are not a negative, its just I think anyone can see its not an 'ancient used and smoothly patinated handle'.
Perhaps you should handle the axe yourself quite some more and help the patine . . .
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Here is a more moody picture of the adze and a picture of a coastal axe that has still to arrive. You can see that here is a different green with a more blue colour. Blueschist going to greenschist? An array of colour comes from different quarries. I do not want to upload lots of pages from the book. What I will do if it is okay with the forum rules is upload a series of maps from the book. They will help.
Attached Images

Old 30th April 2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Default Maps

In earlier times the trade routes went from coast to coast through the highlands. Mr Hampton has concentrated his study to one area where stone still plays a the major role in the cultural and economic lives of the people in the late 20th century to today . In the study there is no mention of Nephrite. Just the stone of a similar make up that can be of the same hardness.

As mentioned before the principal weapons on the Papuan Island is the spear and the bow. That does not rule out clubs and sword clubs and I do not see why one would not hit an enemy with a stone axe or adze if one is at hand.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 30th April 2012 at 09:21 PM.