Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th October 2022, 08:27 PM   #1
RobT

Default Stylized Makara Hilt?

Hi All,

I recently picked up this short sword and I have a few questions. First, can anyone confirm whether or not the hilt is a stylized makara? Second, what is the reason for the transverse blade grooves? Third, does anyone recognize the logo by the hilt?
Description:
The mechanical damascus blade measures just over 17.5" (44.45cm). The damascus pattern is textured as is often seen on Javanese keris that have undergone multiple warangan washings. The pattern doesn't match on both sides and there is one more transverse groove on one side than there is on the other. A longitudinal groove runs from the blade tip to the 1-3/8" (3.49cm) ricasso and delineates the symmetrically ground edge. The spine is about 1/4" (6.35mm) at the hilt and tapers distally to the tip. The eyes on the hilt have been drilled straight through and may have been filled at one time but there is no indication that the through drilling was meant to hold a strap. (Owing to the shortness of the hilt, a strap would have probably impeded the user's grip anyway.)
I have provided photos of both sides of the blade and a close-up of the hilt/logo area.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2022, 04:53 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I would say yes this is a stylized makara. Looks similar to some Nias makers pommels I've seen.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2022, 06:22 PM   #3
RobT

Default Thanks for the Confirmation

Battara,

I'm glad that you agree with my hilt id. Hopefully, others will chime in and answer the other questions.

Sincerely,
RobT
Old 14th October 2022, 08:36 PM   #4
Athanase

For me too the handle seems Nias but the blade looks like some Banjars blades or Bugis blades. Very strange assembly.
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2022, 04:51 AM   #5
RobT

Default Two Disparate Cultures?

Athanase,

AFAIK, the Bugis and the Banjar people are very separate and distinct both in culture and geographic location. Given that, your assessment of "some Banjars blades or Bugis blades" appears to cover a very wide and disparate geographical and cultural range. I daresay that, when viewed in that context, any assemblage would appear strange. I however have the sword in hand (sadly sans sheath) and can say that I am convinced that both hilt and blade have been together for quite a long time (if not from the onset) and there is nothing in the assemblage to indicate that they are not products of the same culture.

Sincerely,
RobT
Old 15th October 2022, 09:25 AM   #6
Athanase

I'm sorry, I probably answered too quickly yesterday by launching the first intuitions that went through my head.

Yes I know they are two very different origins but if I said that it is that they are two cultures where I have already seen this overall shape of the blade, and which also have blades with very worked pamor (in particular the small loop at the base). Thinking about it in Sulawesi too we find very worked pamor of this type.
I also think the hilt was carved specifically for this blade and both are old.

If the hilt isn't Nias (Nias don't have pamor blade), it may be from Sulawesi where he also has hilts that look more like a dragon than a Makara.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3953
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote