Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th November 2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Naprstek´s Museum CZ highlights

If one could ever get tired of the wonderful Czech beer then make a visit to this museum. It is only small but has some very nice stuff. I took lots of pictures and got away with the use of flash as long as I could. A hard museum to take pictures in. Only a few in the end are presentable. Do not worry they will be really boring as the pictures are only of the things that I like. I start with stuff from AUS. Very nice hard stone hand axe. Huge wood sword. Really interesting message stick which I hope one of our Czech members can provide an interperation so all can be wowed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 20th November 2011 at 08:54 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Default A jumble of other stuff.

Good looking stuff.
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Default The best till last

This wonderful stone hammer club from North American NW Coast. Look at the face. I have added a few other nice things what fun.
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Tim,
What is interesting, also IPAs are slowly, step by step, penetrating our somewhat retarded lager market.

Re. "Narodi Muzeum", this should be relatively big, for half a day at least, I thought (maybe still under reparation ?; But weapons should mostly be in "Naprstkovo Muzeum" and some travellers in 19 th century donated them to museums in Vienna).

Message stick: - there is written: Middle part of the Western Australian Coast, donated to the museum by Mr Josef Polak, former Court Assistant in Perth. In accompanying letter Mr Polak wrote:
"Immediately, when we touched at beach, coastal savages sent runners to the inland tribes to warn them against our expedition. Very probably they were of the opinion that we came to punish them, as a lot of petitions concerning seep-thefts were sent by white farmers to our court already. Only after several months I found this letter at one local convict, deep in backlands - 200 English miles from the coast. The picture means, that our encampment is situated under the trees near estuary of Cascogne River and that we are heavily armed." Added also by Mr Polak: "The messengers equipped with such letters can freely travel through the territory of all tribes."

Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Iain

Thanks for sharing the pictures Tim. I think Martin has summed things up nicely (I should also mention that there are even some decent Czech stouts now ).

Please do share more pics if you have them, I haven't been to the museum in a while and my memory is a bit shaky as to what all is there.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

A few more bits and pieces. I really like the Gilbert Island club.
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Lastly you can see where I have come from here.
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2011, 10:41 PM   #8
laEspadaAncha

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting the pictures...

Did you by chance photograph the description that accompanied the (Native American) gunstock club you show in the 5th photo in 2nd post (item #14)? If so, would you please post it as well?

Also, I would very much like to see any other photos you took of the items adjacent to (or from the same display as) the gunstock club...

Regards,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote