Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th March 2006, 03:36 PM   #1
wolviex

Question Question: the places with the biggest keris collections

Dear Kerislovers!
Maybe it is not new question, but I was wondering about the biggest centers, outside the Malay Archipelago, where you can find keris (private) collections?
What are the museums where you can find the best kerises, and which are the best kerises holders, in your opinion?
I don't have specific knowledge on collectors market but it seems to me that there are very strong centers in USA and Holland, don't know if I'm right, and I hope you'll give me enough answers.
If there was no such thread before, maybe this one should be an occasion to create museums list from this point of view.

Thank you
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2006, 04:19 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

I WOULD SAY THE NETHERLANDS WOULD BE THE MOST LIKELY PLACE TO FIND LOTS OF HIGH QUALITY KERIS. THEY CONTROLLED THE AREA FOR A LONG TIME AND LIKED TO BRING BACK SOUVINEERS AND TROPHYS OF WAR LIKE THE BRITISH AND MOST OTHER NATIONS. THEY HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO PICK UP LOTS OF ROYAL KERIS ESPECIALLY IN BALI WHERE THE ENTIRE ROYAL FAMILY WAS WIPED OUT BY THEM. THE PORTUGESE WERE IN THE SPICE ISLANDS BEFORE THE DUTCH SO THERE MIGHT BE SOME OLD EXAMPLES TO BE FOUND THERE. OVER THE YEARS OTHER NATIONS HAVE PICKED UP SOME KERIS AS SOME COUNTRYS ECONOMYS GET STRONGER WHILE OTHERS GET WEAKER. I SUSPECT THAT THE BEST KERIS ARE STILL IN THE HANDS OF THE RICH OR MUSEUMS IN THE COUNTRYS WHO TOOK THEM ORIGINALLY. THE LESSER QUALITY ONES OR THOSE BROUGHT HOME BY COMMON SAILORS OR SOLDIERS WOULD PROBABLY HAVE BEEN SOLD, AND COLLECTIONS AUCTIONED OFF OVER THE YEARS UPON THE DEATH OF THE COLLECTOR.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Dajak

There are Collectors in the Netherlands that have bigger collections than
Museums have and better quality .

We have been a very long time overthere .

And a lot off Indonesian people are living overhere .
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2006, 08:22 PM   #4
Henk

Dajak is completely right. But a private collection is a private collection. When you're lucky and invited to visit a collector and take a look at his collection you can handle the most beautiful keris. Such a collection is mostly better preserved than the collections of the dutch musea. But the dutch musea also have good and large collections.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2006, 09:12 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

The Dutch, Royal Tropical Institute, is well worth a visit not so much for Kriss, but it has some of the most fantastic shaman staffs from the Philippines on display, well it did the last time I was there. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2006, 12:49 PM   #6
wolviex

Arrow

Thank you very much for your replies. The Netherlands are confirmed. What about USA, there seems to be a lot of private collectors these days?

Don't know if there is a need of museum list with keris collections. Maybe we should try to make one anyway. I will start with Poland then:

Muzeum Azji i Pacyfiku (Museum of Asia and Pacific) in Warsaw - around 450 weapons and many krises
Muzeum Etnograficzne (Ethnographic Museum) in Krakow - ca. 100 krises
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote