Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th October 2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Matt Splatt

Default Two Moroccan Daggers... one new, one less so

A friend just brought these back for me from a recent trip. The upper knife is brand new sold in heaps at tourist traps. The blade is clearly ground with a dremal type tool.
The lower knife is older (my friend said she bought it quite far off the beaten path). The workmanship on the brass and leather sheath is beautiful. The blade is file finished and is laminated. The pictures don't show it very well but the blade edges are a lighter colored steel than the rest of the blade.
I know very little about these so any comments would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Matt Splatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 09:50 PM   #2
ward

Tureg I do not think it is much older than the 1st generally see them in the south of Magrib
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 12:47 AM   #3
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Splatt
The upper knife is brand new sold in heaps at tourist traps. ...
The lower knife is older (my friend said she bought it quite far off the beaten path). ....
I know very little about these so any comments would be appreciated.
sorry for your friend, but both knife are new brand, not a "tourist traps", but manufactured for touristic trade
it's nice to help the local workmanship, your friend did a good action by those purchases
Just to give you an idea of an old one, here from my collection a "loï bo" traditional Targui / Reguiba knife (area; South Algeria, North Mali, Niger, South East Marocco, Berber natives)

à +

Dom
Attached Images

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 05:23 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Though not at all old, it is good to see nicely made products being made in these regions and observing traditional forms. They are distinctly ethnographic and representative of thier regions.
Of course there are many instances where tribal knives and edged weapons are still an item of both utility and fashion in many ethnographically significant areas.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 12:47 PM   #5
ward

Nobody wears these in Morocco. There are huge piles of these in various shops in the the medinas. they even leave some out in the sun to get that aged look.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote