Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 16th January 2007, 03:27 PM   #151
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I would be interested if you could point out one single piece of
concrete evidence that you presented in this discussion that supports your case for your dagger. You seem to expect more from us then you do from yourself.
Expect more from you than myself? Surely not sir, you are mistaken. I am a hard taskmaster to myself as well.

Well the empirical evidence shown by me & confirmed by pictures supplied throughout this thread by the naysayers {despite thier earlier statements.} is that the cathedral on the featured dagger has been inverted, eg. turned on its head.

My point was made by my examples, but prooved more conclusivly by 4 other other examples the antis could find of a cast figurative handle of a 19th century European dagger added to the 3 examples i had shown early in the thread.

This dagger is what it is, opinion whether mine or yours will never alter that.

If ever I find evidence or expert eg.expierienced opinion that supports or dismisses my statement that the upside down, cathedral, cross & alter sticks shows satanic or anti Christian derivation when combined with ugly bishps below the feet of a dagger armed women taking hold of a goat standing between her legs. I will share it.

For me that would not be a problem.

Anyone else is welcome to do the same in years to come.

Spiral
Old 16th January 2007, 05:19 PM   #152
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
I believe it would also be helpful for this conversation if you could accurately define what you actually mean when you use the word "satanic".
I still believe it would be helpful to our understanding of your position if you were able to answer the above question so that we can avoid any semantical inaccuracies. Obviously you haven't really given the question all that much thought.
Yes, this dagger IS what it IS, regardless of opinions on EITHER side of the river.
What you have shown is not "empirical evidence", it is merely opinionated theory. Though valuable it is not the same thing.
You have been presented with a great deal of evidence that reversed crosses do not necessarily imply satanism or even anti-church sentiment (cross of St. Peter?). I have never heard of nor have you provided ANY record where an upside down CHURCH is used as a sign of satanism.Skull and cross bones, owls, greenmen, ALL have very different and non'satanic meanings in 19th, 18th, 17th century Europe. EVERY element of your dagger though, fits VERY neatly into the story of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. This is not empirical evidence, merely observation and reason. Yet still it is well researched and valuable. However, you continue to respond to the combined researches of certain forum membership here with condescension, distain and disrespect. You continue to dismiss any thought that does not fit neatly into you own preconcieved ideas of what your dagger is. If we disagree with you we are merely a bunch of uninformed idiots blowing a lot of hot air. Therefore i don't see why we should continue with this thread as nothing we come up with short of agreement that yours is a true and bonfide "satanic dagger" will suffice. I therefore suggest we lock this thread and move on before someone says what they really feel.
Let's move on, there is nothing to see here.
Old 16th January 2007, 05:27 PM   #153
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I recall years ago researching a tulwar that had been labeled a Sikh weapon, and I had been inquiring numerous sources to find exactly what indicators or markings would define a weapon as Sikh. I eventually contacted the author of a book on the Sikh Faith with the history of their warriors. When I inquired and asked that question the author replied, "if a weapon was used by a Sikh, then it is Sikh", and suggested that they used many weapons, not necessarily marked or of specific form.

With that I realized a key factor in studying weapons in general, that often what identifies a weapon historically with any group may not be distinguishable by its appearance or origin.

Perhaps what is sinister here is not the dagger itself
Old 16th January 2007, 05:30 PM   #154
spiral

Quote:
I therefore suggest we lock this thread and move on before someone says what they really feel.
I have consistently said what I feel throughout this thread. Cant you see that?

Thankyou for confirming that your approach towards both this dagger & I throughout this thread were false.

I wonder what you are realy so hurt ,defensive & upset about?

Pity you didnt feel able to share it. But then I suppose it wasnt suitable for public consumption.

But your agenda was visible in the background throughout the thread.

Thankyou for finaly acknowledging you were wearing a mask.

Spiral
Old 16th January 2007, 05:35 PM   #155
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall

Perhaps what is sinister here is not the dagger itself

An incorrect rude & ignorant comment, truly reavealing of you & your deeper nature Jim.

Its fascinating to see people look into a mirror & then object to what they see.

Its worth looking into & working on.

Spiral
Old 16th January 2007, 05:48 PM   #156
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Spiral, I had hoped you would see the 'humor' and was trying to enlist your 'style' recalling your earlier comment "the devil made me do it" .
Old 16th January 2007, 05:50 PM   #157
spiral

I did Jim.

It cracked me up.

& replied in kind.

Spiral
Old 16th January 2007, 05:55 PM   #158
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

OK Spiral, touche'!!!
Now can we get this thing back on track?
Old 16th January 2007, 06:01 PM   #159
Andrew

This one is done.

Feel free to start another thread if anyone cares to continue discussing the subject knife.
Closed Thread