Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th August 2013, 12:35 AM   #1
russel

Default Boarding pike? What is it?

Hello all,

A friend asked me to try to identify this item for him. I know it isn't really under the banner of ethnographic but I thought someone here may know what it is. I don't think it is an elephant goad due to its size. Maybe a boarding pike/spike/hook? Or an whaling flensing tool?

All sugggestions gratefully recieved.

Cheers - Russel
Attached Images

russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 01:55 AM   #2
M ELEY

Hello Russell,
I think we are looking at a gaff here. If you can imagine this mounted on a pole with one of the spikes acting as the tang for the piece, you can see how it would resemble a boarding pike. Gaffs such as this have existed before colonial times and were used to pull in lines, secure the ropes (note the ring on your piece), pull smaller craft closer to the dock for disembarking, etc. Some types of gigs were used in fishing, as Fernando's resent accquisition will attest to (for gigging tuna or mackarel). One could easily be fanciful and say it 'could' have been used as a boarding pike for defence, but without definite proof, the use of gaffs like yours used as weapons remains speculative. Some of us naval collectors have debated this in the past, both here and on other maritime/naval sites. here's the thing about so-called "boarding weapons". In the scrap of battle, almost everything on the deck of a ship could and would be used to attack/defend oneself. Belay pins were a part of the ship, but they were commonly used for a ship's defense. Likewise, whaling harpoons, fire axes, grappling hooks, knotted ropes, and blubber knives all came into the fray when it came to fighting on deck.
Soooooo...a ship's gaff tool that theoretically might have seen action. I'd date it to late 18th to mid-19th century. A nice piece of nautical history!

Last edited by M ELEY; 24th August 2013 at 04:12 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 02:17 AM   #3
russel

Thank you, that is great information. Do the stamped initials T.R.y.s. ring any bells?
Old 24th August 2013, 04:06 AM   #4
M ELEY

Opps! I've been calling it a gig and what I meant to say was that it is a gaff!! Sorry!

I was looking at the stamp, hoping that it might be a ship's name, dockyard name, etc. Likewise, if it had been a number, it might have been a locker/rack number on a ship. More than likely, it is the maker of the tool. Perhaps a google search under shipping/tools? Do you acquire this piece in Australia? Perhaps searching for local tool makers in the 19th c. Although blacksmith-made, for the piece to be stamped, it was a better than average example.
Old 25th August 2013, 11:48 AM   #5
russel

Thanks again,
I am not the owner, but he will be pleased to read your assessment. I'll try our local maritime Museum.
Cheers, Russel
Old 28th August 2013, 11:36 PM   #6
trenchwarfare

Looks sorta like an elephant goad to me. With just a rat-tail tang, and no rivets, it wouldn't pull much weight. Unless, the head was lashed to the shaft via the ring.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Timo Nieminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
Looks sorta like an elephant goad to me. With just a rat-tail tang, and no rivets, it wouldn't pull much weight. Unless, the head was lashed to the shaft via the ring.
It does look the part. I've considered using a boat-hook head for making a long-hafted elephant goad.

(I find that "boat hook" is a common guess for "What is this?" when you show people an elephant goad. Not as almost-universal as "napkin ring" for a Chinese archer's thumb ring, but common.)
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 02:40 AM   #8
russel

I had thought about an elephant goad, buy the scale doesn't seem right. At 25cm (10") across is it not rather large for an elephant goad?
Old 29th August 2013, 03:10 AM   #9
machinist

It looks a bit like a loggers pike pole.
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 08:59 AM   #10
M ELEY

Admittedly, many of these types do look like ankus/elephant goads, but I still think with the marking, general shape and from past examples I've seen, it's a gaff. Now a logging pike? That is a possibility.

Anyway, here is an example of what I'm talking about- 3rd example down.
http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/exhib...liswl02e.shtml

Now here's one that might be an elephant goad or it might be a gaff. You decide. I think the side langets, being a European/American afactation, could point to it being a gaff.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...aval-boat-hook

Last edited by M ELEY; 29th August 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 29th August 2013, 05:44 PM   #11
kronckew

i'm persuaded it's a loggers pike point. they also used a point with a larger more open hook with a barb used to turn floating logs, that was called a 'peavey' or 'cant hook'. the pike hook was used not only for gaffing logs, but a logger that had fallen into the water could more easily haul himself out with the hook. a rope anchor point like the ring in the original post would be useful. google images show many similar 'loggers pike pole', along with the normal off topic stuff unrelated to the search .

two points: (plus a fireman's pike pole after them)

edited: added a modern fireman's pike with fibreglass pole, note the attachment point for a rope. this may then be a firefighter's tool. a bit more upmarket than a loggers, and probably an early one at that. the 'hook' of fireman's ubiquitous tools, the hook and ladder.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 29th August 2013 at 06:09 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 06:24 AM   #12
M ELEY

Hmmm, yes, it still could be a logger's pike, but the examples shown have ends that could be deeply embedded in a pole for moving heavy logs. Our example just has a smooth tang and probably, as already noted by trenchwarfare, couldn't pull much weight. As a simple gaff hook spike, it would have been used mostly to retreive lost lines and to pull a guide rope over for securing a craft.