Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default What is it?

Seller seemed to cover his bases about the origin of this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6513554996

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 02:32 AM   #2
tom hyle

Oh snap; how'd I miss that one? That's central African. It may be Kuba but I don't think so. The Kuba fighting sword of this style is called ilwoon, and is illegal to carry except in war. The type seems fairly closely related to seme to me as well (If you've never handled an old seme, let me explain; the narrow blade base is thick, shaftlike, and commonly unsharp, while the wide tip is relatively flat and thin for cutting.) I like these; I'd really like a Kuba one. The Kube ones I've seen have a midribbed base and a flat or flattish tip with a more rounded end than this. Not sure who these come from, but that badass lookin bolster has also a 'Zande look about it. I've seen this type and other variations. Typically the seller calls 'em Kuba, but I don't think they are, or if they are they aren't ilwoon per se, or are a varient. Kuba was traditionally a multiethnic kingdom (or an empire, to get all technical) The ruling tribe, often miscalled a clan, were the Bushoong, and each tribe had some variations in material culture. So these could be Kuba under that understanding, for instance, for all I know. The pommel is often like this on this variety, and I can see a relation to Kuba art; a central Africaness, but it doesn't look Kuba to me. The Konda and/or Mongo ones with the double-hooked ends are often said to be used for work, but I don't know if this is true or not. One time Conogre had a particularly nice one of them, and then I had it, but now it's out in the world with someone else. The seme is used for work.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 03:54 AM   #3
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hyle
Oh snap;

lol! Not something I'd ever imagine you saying, Tom.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 04:11 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Thanks Tom

I thought it may have been African and the closest I could find was Figure 47 in Afrikanische Waffen by Werner Fischer and Manfred Zirngibl. This shows a Cameroon knife-sword with gnutail handle attributed to the Jaunde.
Old 24th February 2005, 06:18 AM   #5
Conogre

Very nice catch...I was eyeballing it intensely, also thinking that it might be Massai related, and was glad to see it go to a good home.
My Africans are now under lock and key, Tom, once I realized most of the great buys were gone!!!**grin**
That was before I realized how much I missed the holes that were left!!
Again, great catch and anything else is learned, please pass it on?
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 06:16 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Thanks Mike ...

I will post better pictures when it arrives. The "striated" look to the blade is a little odd, don't you think? The Jaunde sword in Fischer and Zirngibl has a similar appearance.
Old 25th February 2005, 01:16 AM   #7
tom hyle

I think those striations are roughish forging lines; African art often intentionally uses "crude"ly finished surfaces, sometimes in contrast to smooth-finished areas of the same piece.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote