Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 20th October 2011, 11:12 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Arabic translation assistance on Sumatran keris

Here is an interesting Sumatran keris with a silver scabbard with inscription. The interesting part is I can make out a date of 1223 which, if accurate, would be early 19th century. My question is do we think this date was added at the time the piece was manufactured. Or do we think this is a later piece with an earlier date added. But if that is the case, why add an earlier date? The silver is nice quality. It has tarnished a nice bluish-black color and the wood has a nice patina and grain. Looking forward to thoughts on this one.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Atlantia

Hi Rick.

That's interesting, I agree that it's a date, written right to left.
I'd make that 1808.
The script looks odd as well.
The entire inscription looks contemporary with the silver sheet.

Be interesting to see what the Arabic speakers make of it.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 04:58 AM   #3
AJ1356

It has Arabic caracters but I think they might be Arabic hybrid, meaning Sumatran writing using Arabic hybrid letters. I see way too many dots where it makes me lean towards the above statement. the so called date is more like a number, if it is a date, that is an odd way of writing it. Interesting peice.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 08:31 AM   #4
kai

Hello Rick,

That's an interesting one. This looks more like a northern Malay keris to me - a few more pics may help.

Despite the uncommon pamor motif (for keris Melayu), the blade doesn't appear to be of high quality - tough to estimate an age. The silverwork doesn't look like early 19th c. quality to me though.

Maybe the number is based on numerology rather than specifying a year. Also commemoration dates can be found on keris.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 06:54 PM   #5
RSWORD

Hopefully, some of our friends from the keris forum can have a go on this translation to see if we get any information from that. I agree, the blade is not of particularly high quality. The pamor is interesting but there are some forging issues and the blade is not particularly well finished. However, the scabbard is quite nice. The wood has a lovely grain and the silver, while the close up shots don't illustrate the quality very well, the silver is a quality silver, probably close to Sterling, and I find the workmanship comparable to much silver work you see in the 19th century. Maybe not royal workshop, but certainly, along the quality of silver work I have seen on a large number of 19th century work. Looking forward to more information.
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:22 AM   #6
tunggulametung

Hello, this is the closest I can get, hope other members can supply more accurate translation. Thanks
Attached Images

tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 03:13 AM   #7
kai

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for your efforts with the translation! Please post a link to that website!

Rick, please post close-ups of the hilt and crosspiece (from several angles would be great). I'm sure the Malay afficianados will chime in with additional info on possible area of origin as well as age. BTW, what's the length of the blade?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Raja Muda

Default Reading of inscription

It is Malay in Jawi script.

My suggested reading is "Datuk Bendahara Pahang, Hadiah, Allah Selamatkan yang menyimpan"

I'm guessing it means (from the) Datuk Bendahara of Pahang, A Gift, God preserves he who keeps it (the keris).

The Bendahara of Pahang was the representative of the Sultan of Johor, Riau and Lingga in the swathe of territory that is the modern state of Pahang in Malaysia.
They were from a junior line of the Bendahara dynasty which took power in Johor, after the last Sultan of the old Melaka dynasty was assasinated (the infamous Sultan Mahmud mangkat dijulang)
In the latter part of the 19th century, during the height of Dutch and British intervention in the archipelago, which ended any semblance of the earlier Johor Empire, the Bendahara of Pahang took on the title of Sultan to reflect his independence from the Sultan in Lingga and Yamtuans in Penyegat.

In the earlier years of the 19th century, the Bendahara associated with this keris would have probably been Bendahara Paduka Raja Tun Ali. It was customary that official letters of diplomatic nature to local and colonial counterparts were accompanied by gifts such as keris, which would explain the possible provenance of this keris.
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 07:04 PM   #9
tunggulametung

Hello Kai here is link to the translator: http://ejawi.dyndns.org/e-jawi/v3/index?e=converter

Thanks Raja Muda for the better translations and interesting historical background
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 01:28 AM   #10
RSWORD

Yes, thank you Raja Muda for the translation and historical information. Also, thank you tunggulametung for your translation assistance as well. All very helpful and much appreciated.