Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2005, 01:57 AM   #1
Conogre

Default African Movie/Tourist Sword for Discussion

As I said in the title, I took this to be a tourist piece and got it cheaply enough that I likely would not have given it another thought were it not for insomnia.
One night while unable to sleep I happened to see an African movie shot in Chad and subtitled,with this sword all over the place, some new, some obviously very old and with several variations in hilt material, scabbards etc.
It seemed likely they'd used local swords instead of having props made as is done with big budget western movies, making me wonder why I'd not seen the type in books?
My VCR got a real workout, between pauses and zooms, while I tried to figure out what I was seeing, believe me.
The only thing that made the sword pictured out of the ordinary for a tourist piece was the sharp edge, something that I've not found to be common with most Tuareg influenced export souveniers.
The overall dimensions are 27 5/8" with a thin 21 3/4" blade that's sharpened on the convex edge and deeplt stamped with eyelash marks so profuse as to form a pattern.
The hilt is solid brass except for the central black spacers of an undetermined substance alternated with aluminum (non-magnetic) and yet still seems to have been cast onto the blade, which is probably spring steel.
The nicely tooled leather scabbard seems to be wrapped around a steel frame (magnetic) with a large leather button on the end and the patterns reminiscent of some older N. African pieces that I have.
Were it not for the fact that so many of the swords in the movie were obviously old tribal weapons (excellent close ups of many) of the same ilk I'd never have given it a second thought.
The movie, by the way, was of a tribal nature dealing with a fraudulant "Snake God" to which numerous virgins had been sacrificed by shammans and elders and which eventually led to a coup by brave warriors who wouldn't be bought off by threats or offers of induction into the secret society, apparently for an African audience.
Any thoughts would be appreciated on this sword and rather strange set of circumstances.
Mike
Attached Images

Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 07:32 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Thats nearly every corner of the Sahara mused over.Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote